Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Missing Christi



I think it hit me tonight........I know others have it much much much worse, but I'm really missing Christi........and Shayne, but that goes without saying. It's so hard to be apart! Here are some photos my mom emailed me which she took while in Philly last week. They make me both laugh and cry. (One is of the sweet Doctor trying to examine Christi while the girls tease her out in the hall instead. The other is of the silly 4th graders locking the fun loving volunteer in the playroom. What a hoot!)

Shayla's been absolutely delightful! She's a loving sweetheart!! I hope her teacher isn't reading this, but she made my day today!! What a hoot! In the midst of my teaching, the classroom door opened and in she strolled sweetly declaring, "I love you Mama." My students were speechless as she quickly walked up to me, gave me a kiss and then walked right out the door. Then my students starting giggling telling me I should tell her what she did when she's in the 8th grade! Things have been really rough for her and I worry so much about how she's coping. It gives me tremendous comfort to know she's not too far away while I'm at work. (I think it gives her comfort too!)

Today Christi, Aunt V and Shayne went to the fabulous Academy of Natural Science Museum. She just LOVES that amazing place!! Shayne reports other than her mouth sores, which have increased and now have tremendously reduced her ability to eat anything, she continues to feel well and that it was a lovely, sunny day for a walk (stroller ride for CT) downtown. During Shayne's Starbucks stop, Christi tried a "vanilla milk" and really enjoyed it. (He was glad she was able to get some calories in her with her mouth sores.) They spent time at the book store and Shayne said she read 75% of a chapter book while out on their stroll today!! They went as far as the Philadelphia Museum of Art and back. Her port was left accessed yesterday as she will be back to the hospital tomorrow morning to get her blood counts checked and to possibly get more blood products. She's been on a spirograph mission with Aunt Vaunie - creating lots of lovely pictures.

While I'm grateful that she had a dramatic response to the high dose chemo, it's VERY toxic and her body can only take so much chemo which is why we're anxious to get on a clinical trial of something less toxic. Christi's now had an unbelievable 35 rounds of chemo pumped into her little body. (OK, not so little she topped the scales yesterday at CHOP at an amazing 70 pounds much to our delight!)

Enough venting and being down! I know how fortunate I am to even still have her here on earth when most others with this tricky disease are not so blessed. I know she's a gift on loan to us from Heaven above. But..........thanks for letting me share; I feel a bit better now! Good night! And God bless you!

4 Comments:

At 30/3/06 9:22 PM, Blogger Jennifer Lehmann said...

That sounds like such a precious moment. Oh Shayla...so sweet.

Glad Christi continues to feel good despite the mouth sores. Those must be so nasty. She is just so strong.

Love, Jennifer

 
At 30/3/06 10:10 PM, Blogger thonmom06 said...

Angela, you vent and share all you want...listening ears and heart here. Please call at any hour. and God bless you too. xoxoxo

 
At 30/3/06 10:22 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Oh sweet Shayla how awesome you must have made Your Mommy feel! What a sweetie pie! :)

Angela- I'm so sorry that your family is seperated by this nasty beast called cancer. Thankful though that sweet Christi is feeling good- tell her Vanilla milk is one of my favorites at Starbucks too, she should give the Chai Tea Latte a whirl since she likes pumpkin pie- it has that flavor.

I'm praying for a clinical trial to be just around the corner somehow! And WOW 70lbs you go girl!! :)

Lots of love, tons of prayers,
Heather

 
At 31/3/06 3:28 AM, Blogger Frapper said...

I'm glad that you're enjoying Shayla and that Christi's having some fun with her Dad and her aunt. I do wish you could all be together though; it must be so difficult wanting to be two places at one time. My prayers are with Christi that she not get too sick with mouth sores and side effects from her chemo and that she have another good day tomorrow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home