Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Settled In

A very long day is now coming to an end and we are finally all settled in our room on 8 South. I'm certain by now that Heaven's new Angel, Allie, is also settled in her eternal home. Allie was born within weeks of Christi's diagnosis and also treated for Stage IV neuroblastoma at Columbus Childrens and then at MSKCC in NYC. This beast is so evil! Our thoughts and prayers are with Allie's family.

Tonight, as I type from beside Christi's bed, she is receiving yet another platelet transfusion. (Yes, she received one yesterday too.) Early this morning I knew I was taking her for her blood transfusion, but I really didn't expect things to end up this way. I figured that unless the blood bag ruptured and they had to start over by re-ordering, as happened yesterday, we'd be out and off to the zoo by the afternoon. All too soon this 103 fever hit, which isn't budging at all, and which made the fact that only one unit (instead of two) of blood was ordered seem pointless. I think the wonderful NP Pat said, "Since she's going to be admitted anyway, she'll have plenty of time to get that other unit of blood." Christi spent nearly the entire day curled up in a ball, dozing off and on and feeling miserable. Caroline tended to Shayla back at Ronald and at Barnes and Noble and then came to the hospital with a suitcase packed with our things when I called for her about 4:00 PM when we were given a room.

Since I was unable to get Christi a room on 3 South, where all of the rooms have Internet access, I was more than a wee-bit stressed. (You see, it's finals week at Ohio State and my biggest project of the quarter is due on Tuesday. My kind Professor stayed with me for 30 minutes after class last week and we've been emailing back and forth this large file I'm working on and I didn't know how I was going to do it.) Well, I do not know exactly what happened, but I think Mrs. Smith is either a charmer or a miracle worker (most likely both) because after returning from the Ronald House where I went to get a break from the hospital, to calm down and to enjoy Shayla for a few hours, I returned tonight to have Internet access and a big email from my Professor on my laptop. Praise God! (And thanks to my fellow classmates for emailing and helping me too!!)

I'm still not totally losing hope, but it doesn't appear that we will be flying home on Friday as planned. I was told that Thursday would be her most dangerous point, but it appears that came a bit sooner. Now we pray that her stem cells start kicking in and will actually work and re-start her life. I do know this may not happen; yet, I have hope and images of her returning home and dancing at her recital at the Ritz Theatre next weekend. Earlier today I cancelled out of her appointment to visit the awesome UPenn Vet Hospital tomorrow as that's no longer a reality. (I thought about asking them to sneak in a kitten for just a little bit to make Christi happy, but I chickened out!)

So tonight she ends the month exactly the way she started it, by receiving another life saving transfusion.

May 2006:
9 nights hospitalized
9 blood/platelet transfusions

2006:
41 nights hospitalized (Thank you wonderful nurses, doctors and staff!)
27 life saving transfusions (Thank you, blood donors for saving our precious Christi!)

5 Comments:

At 31/5/06 11:09 PM, Blogger Jan said...

Hi,
I was just talking with a fellow prayer warrior for Christi at work this afternoon and telling her how well Christi was feeling through this last treatment and showed her pictures from our visit. Then I signed on after work to see she had spiked a fever. I was so sad for you all! I guess if she was going to spike the fever though, it is better now instead of after she got back to Ohio. Dr Maris will take good care of her! Hopefully it will NOT last long and she will be up and smiling again soon. Please know that I am still praying and will ask for more prayers tomorrow at work too. Let me know if we can do anything to help. I can always come get Shayla and take her to school with me if you need help there. Anything at all...just let us know. I'll be in touch soon. Know how much you all are loved!!
Hugs and Blessings,
Jan and Larry

 
At 1/6/06 12:48 AM, Blogger brooke said...

oh my goodness! after thinking 'oh, i hope christi gets better soon' i then went to angela and doing classwork! a mother, a teacher, a wife and a ph.d. student. oh my angela. i'm sure you hear how amazing you are all the time, but its true. i know the life of a ph.d student (i'll be one myself in the fall) -- its rough. i really do admire you angela. anyhow, i hope things go smoothly and that christi gets better MUCH sooner than dr. maris anticipates!

 
At 1/6/06 4:56 AM, Blogger thonmom06 said...

Angela, Shayne, Christi, and Shayla (and Mrs. Smith too) - We love you.

HOPE!...as you explained, this hit early....so we will visualize and and TRUST and BELIEVE that the good cells are taking over.

We are holding you close.

love, sylvia xoxoxo

 
At 1/6/06 5:52 AM, Blogger HeatherB said...

I'm so sorry about the death of yet another little warrior from this beast. How horrible. My prayers are with Allie's family.

I'm sorry that Christi isn't feeling so well. I'll be praying for her stem cells to engraft, engraft, engraft. And that you will get home to see her dance on the Ritz Theater stage next weekend.

I love you all dearly!

All my love and prayers for always,
Heather

 
At 1/6/06 8:00 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Hoping and praying that tonight is finding sweet, sweet Christi feeling a bit better.

Hope your project is going well too Angela.

I love you all!! A million hugs and kisses!

Heather

 

Post a Comment

<< Home