Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Until We Meet Again


Mason Clark Ream, age 12, died peacefully at home surrounded by his family on March 18, 2006 after a 3½ year battle with cancer.

The son of Bradley Clark Ream and Anita Long Ream, Mason had lived in Shelby since his birth on February 15, 1994. He was a sixth grade student at Central School Intermediate where he was a member of the student council and on the Honor Roll. Mason attended the Shelby First United Methodist Church where he was baptized as an infant, participated in Junior Church, and was an acolyte. Mason participated in numerous sports and had been a member of the Shelby Jammers basketball team since first grade.

Mason had many amazing opportunities during his short life, such as hiking an active volcano, swimming with dolphins, meeting sports celebrities, and playing basketball with the OSU men's team. However, one of the most special opportunities he had was growing up in Shelby surrounded by the love and compassion that a small town has to offer. Mason was happiest when he was watching the Whippets compete, especially in his favorite sport, basketball. He loved being a part of the Shelby school system where he felt loved and supported by the students and staff.

Mason's participation in numerous clinical trials at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia will help researchers develop more effective treatments for neuroblastoma, a rare childhood cancer. That contribution to science, along with his steadfast courage and beautiful smile, are a legacy of which his family is proud.

Funeral services will be held 2:30PM Wednesday, March 22, 2006 from the First Church of God, 3616 St Rt 39 S, Shelby. Reverend Gail Angel, his pastor, will officiate with interment in Oakland Cemetery. Friends may call at the First Church of God Tuesday, March 21, 2006 from 2:00 - 4:00 and 6:00 - 8:00 PM. In lieu of flowers, memorial expressions may be made in Mason's name to the Shelby Athletic Boosters Field House Fund or Central School Intermediate PTO. Online condolences may be left for the family at www.barkdullfuneralhome.com.

With a heavy heart, I ask for Christi's supporters to please lift up a most wonderful family - the Ream Team from Shelby, Ohio. Their son, Mason, was diagnosed with neuroblastoma at Children's Columbus just weeks before Christi and sadly he earned his Angel wings about 9:00 this morning. Because of many commonalities (parents both teachers, persistant disease which led them to CHOP, etc.) we consider them family and are just heartbroken that their wonderful son was taken from them so young. I hope I am able to somehow make it to the calling hours before we fly out Tuesday. Mason will forever live on in our hearts and minds! Rest in peace, sweet Mason and please pray for Mason's parents and sisters, including his twin.

(PHOTO CAPTION: Mason with Brad & Anita just weeks ago)

"God's Lent Child"
“I’ll lend you for a little while
A child of mine,” God said
“for you to love the while he lives,
And mourn for when he’s dead.
It may be six or seven years
Or forty two or three..
But will you, till I call him back,
Take care of him for me?

He’ll bring his charms to gladden you
And – (should his stay be brief) –
You’ll have his lovely memories
As a solace for your grief.

I cannot promise he will stay,
Since all from earth returns;
But there are lessons taught below
I want this child to learn.
I’ve looked the whole world over
In my search for teachers true
And from the things that crowd life’s lane
I have chosen you.

Now will you give him all your love?
Not think the labor vain?
Nor hate me when I come to take
This Lent Child back again?”

“I fancied that I heard them say –
“Dear Lord, Thy will be done
For all the joys Thy Child will bring
The risk of grief we’ll run.
We will shelter him with tenderness,
We’ll love him while we may
And for the happiness we’ve known
Forever grateful stay.

But should Thy angel call for him,
Much sooner than we’ve planned,
We’ll brave the bitter grief that comes
And try to understand.”

7 Comments:

At 18/3/06 4:38 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Dear Angela and Shayne,

Oh my heart is sad with you over the loss of your dear friend Mason. I remember you mentioning him in Christi's journal when he was getting his transplant at Children's.

My prayers will be with his sweet family and with all of you.

Love and prayers forever and always,
Heather

 
At 18/3/06 7:41 PM, Blogger thonmom06 said...

As soon as I read your entry I stopped to pray for the Ream family, Angela. In my prayers I asked my little friends Ryan Connolly and Liam Kane to show Mason around Heaven.

Hello God...we know that You are with the Ream Team...and that You are probably so happy to have Mason in Your arms...please ask our dear Blessed Mother to especially hold Mason's mom close to her, not just today, but in the days to come when it gets harder instead of easier. And please, send the Holy Spirit to give each of them all the strength they need to face each day. Let the Thomas family feel Your presence also. Yet another loss in their lives. Help all of us dear heavenly Father when we question and do not understand. Thank You for the gift of these families who touch our lives...allowing us to stop to hug our children a little longer. Amen.

Holding you close to my heart tonight. love, sylvia

 
At 18/3/06 9:45 PM, Blogger John Burkholder said...

Rest in peace Mason. My prayers are with the family.

 
At 19/3/06 6:35 PM, Blogger Candy said...

It saddens me to hear that another life has been cut short all too soon because of this relentless disease. My sympathy and prayers are with Mason's family and with you as well. I'm so very sorry.

 
At 15/12/07 5:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank-you. I continue to pray for your family every night. God bless you.

-----Molly

 
At 12/7/14 1:16 AM, Blogger Paige42986 said...

I am just reading your blog tonight and I came across the post on Mason Ream and I just started bawling because I live in Shelby also and i knew Mason! And he was the most kind and generous kid around! I miss him so much! Thank you for talking about him he is missed to this day!

 
At 20/4/18 1:24 AM, Blogger Paige42986 said...

I am reading your blog in 2018 and I came across Mason Reams story and i am bawling like a baby because I knew Mason! I also live in Shelby and I knew Mason very well! He was a very wonderful young man that was taken from us too soon! I am so lucky to have known him! I miss him a lot!Thank you for the story in your blog about him!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home