Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Monday, March 06, 2006

Goodbye, Shayne


“I’m glad dad came out for three days; he’s a lot of fun,” said Christi. I couldn’t agree more! This morning he took Christi to the hospital so that I could finalize a few computer things I needed to do.

Her blood counts were as follows:
0.4 white (VERY low, no ability to fight infection)
10.6 hgb. (low)
29 platelets (low)
0 ANC (YIKES, but no surprise!)
536 LDH (Even lower than last week. Praise God!)

Having planned to stay for a transfusion (or two) it was like a special bonus to be released from the hospital! Christi and Shayne went to lunch at Chili’s and I met up with them there. Then it was on to a park on the campus of UPenn to try to fly the cheapo kite they purchased (no such luck despite many hilarious running attempts by both Christi & Shayne). All too soon it was time for Shayne to walk over to the train station to get to the airport while I pushed Christi’s stroller the opposite direction back here to the wonderful Ronald McDonald House.

When I spoke with the wonderful nurse practitioner, Pat, she told me that the next 2-3 days will be pivotal. That’s when we’ll know if her counts are going to go up or down. She reminded me of the rules of fever and asked that I call and get her right to the hospital when/if the fever begins. We pray that Christi avoids fever and that her counts go up, up and away (unlike the kite).

Today was also a sweet surprise of running into a Christi supporter. Supposedly, this is the fifth largest city in the USA, but things like that make you feel like it’s just a small little neighborhood here! Also, thanks to Kelli Green of Cinci!

9 Comments:

At 6/3/06 9:17 PM, Blogger Jennifer Lehmann said...

I'm glad you guys had such a great weekend together. Praying for Christi's counts to go upward...and that LDH to keep going down!!

 
At 6/3/06 11:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In reading back through the posts, I was so happy to read that they had switched her to Neulasta! As a pediatric Hem/Onc pharmacist, I have seen Neulasta used even down to 2 year olds! I love that she will get one shot vs. 10-14! yeah Christi!

 
At 7/3/06 2:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angela and Christi, I am so glad that you had such a great time with Daddy! It sounds like you got to do a lot!! We are adding you to our prayers to stay fever free, and will do a counts dance for you! You need to have Mommy do the counts dance for you... If she has never done it, it is easy! You just jump around and spin and say "Christi's counts go up" as many times as you can... Oh yeah, your arms have to be up in the air and waving around! Let us know how it goes!
Take care you two! God wrap his arms around your family and keep you safe and strong!
www.caringbridge.org/visit/abbybridgewater
Love,
Kristi and Abby Bridgewater

 
At 7/3/06 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

many prayers headed your way!
Megan in NC

 
At 7/3/06 9:40 AM, Blogger HeatherB said...

PRAISE GOD for an even lower LDH this week! AWESOME!!

I pray that the other blood counts go up, up up and that she can avoid fever and the hospital.

Love you guys oh so much!!

Lots of love, prayers and hope,
Heather

 
At 7/3/06 11:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's good that both you and Christi enjoyed the time with Shayne. I will keep her in my prayers and pray that her counts go up. I hope she avoids a fever.

Sarah

 
At 7/3/06 2:13 PM, Blogger Angela said...

"the wonderful Ronald McDonald House" - Isn't it though? The Ronald McDonald Houses are a wonderful cause. My sister's baby had a congenital heart disorder, and House in Birmingham, AL was great to her.

I'm glad Christi seems to be doing so well, and enjoying this trip. I've been reading a while now, I just never know what to say. Good luck.

 
At 7/3/06 4:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, my son also has NB and we travel to CHOP from Buffalo,NY. I am currently at the Ronald McDonald House in Philly also. I know your family has been coming here far too long when I noticed a toy magazine my son was looking at the house was sent only to "Angela Thomas or current resident" with the Chestnut St address. No mention of the Ronald McDonald house. I have been following your story since my son was diagnosed almost a year ago. Continued good luck to you.

The Tringali family.

 
At 7/3/06 5:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So wonderful that Daddy was able to spend the weekend with you and Christi, Such an amazing sweet girl. Here are lots of prayers that your counts go way way up and NO fever!!!! GOD Bless the Thomas Team Laura (Stephenson)Gray

 

Post a Comment

<< Home