Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Thursday, June 01, 2006

A Better Day


Thankfully, Christi's fever broke in the wee hours of the morning. (She's not permitted to have Tylenol until June 9th since the children that died on this study all had Tylenol.) Although she didn't sleep very well (and I didn't either as I feared it'd be back) I thought she was at least more comfortable. After her platelet transfusion and her blood transfusions yesterday, her count's didn't jump up as much as I had thought.

white .1
hgb. 8.4 (transfuse at 8 or lower)
platelets 79
ANC 0

She is feeling a lot better than yesterday despite "losing her cookies" early this morning and not eating since yesterday. I'm reading her "Ella Enchanted" while Mrs. Smith is reading her "Pigs Might Fly". While listening to us read today, Christi worked on a paint-by-number of dolphins. We played a game, watched the DVD "Dreamer" she received for her bday and tonight the four of us also drew on fancy etch-a-sketches in the playroom. Caroline is a true friend and I do not want to even think about how trying the past few days would have been without her help and love! I am so blessed!

The only "situation" happened tonight after I had Chrsiti change into her PJs. After she did, I ran her clothing down to where Mrs. Smith and Shayla were waiting to catch the Ronald shuttle back to the house so that Caroline could wash it for us too. As soon as I returned and entered Christi's room I heard, "Mom, I'm scared. I think something is wrong." This amazing gal must have knocked one of her tube's loose while changing into her clothing. She had grabbed a bucket to put her tubes in to let the blood pour into the bucket. There wasn't a single drop on her jammies, despite the large amount filling the bucket. I was so amazed at how mature she was in that she took action. I quickly pushed the nurse button and three nurses soon got it all under control.

Dr. Maris told me that she will not be permitted to leave until she's showing an upward trend with her blood counts. This could be many days away. Thankfully, nothing has grown in her 24 hour cultures. If nothing grows in her 48 hour cultures, I'll be pushing hard to get these heavy duty IV meds stopped. They're giving her a bad taste in her mouth which is why she says she's unable to eat anything. Getting home when I planned to, isn't going to happen he said. (Do you think Daddy can ride in a little motocycle side-cart and lead the Poker Run parade through town and be as cute as Christi at the 4th Annual Christi Thomas Poker Run on Saturday? hee hee!) Regardless, we hope there is a great turn out and a lot of money raised for the charity we selected this year: The Philadelphia Ronald McDonald House! We also hope we're able to be home to get to see Aunt Vaunie and Josh before they fly back to Arizona too!

2 Comments:

At 2/6/06 5:27 AM, Blogger thonmom06 said...

PRAISE YOU AND THANK YOU DEAR HEAVENLY FATHER! Just as we sent only positive vibes and INTENSE PRAYER for that fever to come down, we will now concentrate on those counts. CLIMB COUNTS CLIMB!!
I too am feeling in my gut that things are going to be okay. Thanks so much for the update Angela and Shayne! Christi, you are an amazing young lady!

love, sylvia

 
At 2/6/06 5:34 AM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Glad she's feeling better, and I love, love, love the picture of Shayla kissing her head. Too cute, and too sweet!!

I'll be praying for her blood counts to go up!!

What a brave girl about the blood, I'm sure I would have been screaming my head off.

I love you guys!!

Much love, many prayers,
Heather

 

Post a Comment

<< Home