Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Summer at Last!

Hearing the car door shut, I looked out and saw him- slowly approaching our door. With that unique walk I knew who it was. It had been a long time since we drove over to the new church. Had he been looking for us? Are collections down? Fifteen minutes after sitting and chatting with Father Joe (our priest) it dawned on me- he heard!! He knew! Not only did Shayne and I both read “The Divinci Code” last year, but we went and saw the movie last week while Aunt Vaunie was here to baby-sit. No, that wasn’t it at all. The wonderful Father Joe just dropped by to check on Christi and we see how we are all doing (and to donate to Christi & Alex’s Lemonade Stand fund). What a sweetheart!! We also talked about my being a full time doc student this summer so he knows I don’t have time right now to sit around and read any more fictional novels. Next to Christi’s promising platelet count, Father Joe’s visit was the highlight of my day!

Receiving Christi’s platelet count from the sweet hospital lady I only know by voice I happily shouted, “YES! I thought her treatment days were over! I didn’t think her platelets were going to recover!! We’re still in this fight!” (Poor phone lady- a victim of my joy.) Christi’s platelets are far from “pretty” but at 78 it indicates that she IS still able to make platelets. (And it’s obviously a BIG DEAL at our house….tonight as Shayne and I cleaned up the dinner meal, the girls were playing in the other room. We heard Shayla say, “Christi how are your platelets?” - indicating to us she wanted to do some rough playing, but needed to make certain it was safe first! So funny!!) So many clinical trials (including the one we’re eyeing- fenritnide) have requirements of platelets at a certain level. We know Dr. Maris can wave his magic wand for Christi on some things; however, requirements are there for a reason. The other blood counts were fine- at least “fine” in our world! Hgb. (down) 9.9, white- still going strong thanks to her stem cells working so well (4.7). LDH, 250- definitely NOT where we want it as it measures the tumor activity and it's obvious she's still brewing! (100-190 normal range).

There hasn’t been any news so I haven’t been updating. Christi’s been swimming a different homes nearly every night this week, has been to the library and going to Ritz camp each day. She also had a great visit to the orthodontist today who said there is still no need for braces and she’d see her in a year. (Oh, that made me suck in my breath! I hope so, Dr. Robyn!) Tomorrow night is the big show! The girls are very excited- and so are we to see “The Little Mermaid” performed live at the beautiful Ritz Theatre!

Thanks to the Ritz and to Aunt Marty & Uncle Jeff, we have a busy weekend planned. Then Aunt Marty will be caring for Shayla for a few days while I’m at class and while Christi & I are in Philadelphia. We are scheduled to fly in early Tuesday morning and to fly back to Ohio late Wednesday night (hopefully enrolled in a new clinical trial) - IF all goes as planned. (Ha ha ha! I’m laughing WITH you! I know. I know. Remember that scheduled one night over night which turned into over three straight weeks for Christi? Yikes!) In addition to seeing how well the treatment worked in Philadelphia, Christi will also be making the Christi Thomas Poker Run donation by presenting a check to the wonderful Philadelphia Ronald McDonald House- our lovely home away from home! We are so blessed!!

2 Comments:

At 16/6/06 5:41 AM, Blogger HeatherB said...

I'm glad to hear that Christi's platlets are increasing on their own.

I'm sorry that her LDH level is elevated though.

I'm praying that the trip to Philly will indeed be an overnight one and that she'll be on a new clinical trial upon your return.

Glad the girls are enjoying summer. :)

Much love, many prayers,
Heather

 
At 16/6/06 2:54 PM, Blogger thonmom06 said...

Thank You God for Fr. Joe and his compassion and care.

Angela, Shayne, Christi, and Shayla, WE are blessed! You continually teach us how to hang on when days are difficult...you are a witness of faith during the storms, and you make us smile with your loving stories. Prayer group is Tuesday night, so you can be assured that we will surround you with much love and prayer for your very short stay in Philly! (we ARE thinking nothing but positive!)
GO CELLS GO!!!! Multiply like rabbits! : ) love, sylvia xoxo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home