Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Friday, March 23, 2007

A Better Update!

(Age 4 1/2: S.E. Library's Spring Party, 2001)

I now see my last entry was a “downer”. Sorry about that! I’ll be more upbeat today! I always try; however, sometimes anguish takes over I guess. (In addition to the “breakfast cereal” I had been reading the CT Scholarship applications from the Heidelberg students and discussing those with the other committee members. They’ve been very touching and many of them moved me to tears. I think that’s also made me very emotional in recent days.)

Because Shayla had experienced great success with her vision therapy (moving up five levels in her class in reading and now reading at end of second grade reading level) and because she had become very worried about not being ready to make her first Holy communion (because vision therapy and CCD classes were on the same evening) I decided to discontinue her vision therapy. Her testing in Toledo showed that everything was corrected so instead of continuing for the remaining five weeks we stopped and now she is back to going to CCD. She’s really happy about her eyes being “fixed” and she likes being a top reader in her class. Shayne and I marvel at the incredible progress she made this year! She is a hard worker and quite delightful. It’s amazing how much I did not know about her, until Christi died. Her compassion is unbelievable which I think is most likely attributed to living in and out of Ronald McDonald Houses and being concerned about Christi for four of her seven years of life.

While Christi was dying in the hospital, I couldn’t leave her side. I sat in her bed with my computer and ordered her “going to Heaven” dress from Ebay so that she would have something pretty to be buried in. I couldn’t believe how inexpensive a new dress from California was (about $50 which included shipping). At that point in time, I decided that we would not let Mrs. Wagner sew Shayla’s Holy Communion dress as she had offered and as she had done for Christi because I knew that it would cost more than $50 to make a new one, not to mention the countless hours Carla would pour into it.

A few weeks ago Shayla and I went back to Ebay and together we located this beautiful new dress with tags. I think she’ll look lovely as she makes this special Sacrament in church in a few weeks. Last night Carla called and said that she wanted to add beads or something to Christi’s veil so that she could sew something special for Shayla too. I admitted to Carla that the veil was actually pretty wrinkly and that it could use some work so last night we dropped it off at her home to put her loving touches on it. (In getting everything ready for Shayla, I could hardly believe how tiny Christi was when she made her first Holy Communion three years ago. The dress is simply gorgeous and I shall forever treasure it.) If she would have been able to fit in it I would have had her buried in that dress, but 2 ½ years later that wasn’t even a consideration.

Here’s wishing you and yours a fabulous weekend!

If Christi were alive, she'd never permit me to share a picture of her in her panties, but now I think it's ok. I snapped this one afternoon at the Ronald House when she put on an impromptu dance show for us. What a hoot!
This is how I want to remember Christi - joking around with Shayla (CHOP, June 2005)

8 Comments:

At 23/3/07 5:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

aww.. it must be so hard with Christis room :(.. this just happened to me today... but i had tryouts for track today... and we had to run 4 miles.. and i can run like a mile... i was pretty sure that i was having an asthma attack and was so tired and felt like i was going to throw up... but i kept on going because i thought of Christi and how she fought soo hard with all the cancer treatments that caused her excruciating pain.. so that compleately motivated me to finish!! best wishes

 
At 23/3/07 11:26 PM, Blogger Kait said...

Angela,

I cannot even begin to imagine how difficult it must be for you to have to start letting go of the physical things Miss Christi left behind on Earth, like her sweet cereal! Just know that SO many people love Christi and y'all and that she will live on forever in the hearts of all those who knew her in life and read about her incredible journey!

I know that not a day goes by where I don't think of Christi. When I see a pink sunset, I think of her. And when I'm having a hard time and need some help, I ask Christi for guidance and always feel an amazing sense of peace come over me. She's my angel!

 
At 24/3/07 7:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have followed your wonderful family for a very long time now but have never commented before, at least that I can remember :-) I felt I had to today. The picture of Shayla's beautiful communion dress is the reason. My daughter wore the same beautiful dress in not one but two weddings a few years ago. I hope that Shayla enjoys it as much as we did!

 
At 24/3/07 9:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Angela,

I love the photo's of the girls, they are just so beautiful, both of them. Christi was so cute with the rabbit and the one where she was dancing in her knickers! The two of them playing around together is lovely.
How wonderful that you are discovering Shayla's personality now, she sound like a great little girl. I'm sure the experience she has had in life has taught her a lot, how could she be like any other kid of her age after what she has been through? That it has made her into a compassionate and caring person is really very good.
Shayla's dress for holy communion is gorgeous, she'll look a picture in that! Hope you will let us see the photo's!
Thinking of you, I hope you are feeling ok today, take care!
Love Angela

 
At 24/3/07 11:22 AM, Blogger Frapper said...

I'm glad today's a little bit better for you--you certainly don't need to apologize for being a "downer"! There's good days and bad days, or to quote John Denver, "some days are diamonds and some days are stone". Shayla's dress is absolutely gorgeous--I don't think my wedding dress was that beautiful! Your new pictures are so cute; it's nice to see your girls happy and smiling. I'm glad that Shayla's vision therapy went so well and that her reading ability has improved so much. I'm sure it's opened up a whole new world for her in a way. I hope that your weekend together is a nice one.

 
At 24/3/07 7:45 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Beautiful First Communion dress for Shayla, I love it and she shall look very lovely.

I want to remember Christi in that last picture too, laughing and enjoying herself.

Lots of love to all of you,
Heather

 
At 24/3/07 8:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read your stories about Christi frequently but have never left a comment. When I read todays blog, I just wanted to say that its ok if you are not upbeat every day, we understand. I admire you for being able to do what you are doing. You are a hero in my eyes and I am truly sorry you and your family have to go thru this. God Speed.

 
At 26/3/07 8:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey,
i've seen videos of christi a few weeks ago on youtube.
Christi was an amazing little girl.Her story doesn't relinquish me.

so, shaylas dress is really nice :)

Lot's of greets from Germany

 

Post a Comment

<< Home