Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Friday, February 08, 2008

Almost Party Time

This picture shows the horse center piece Shayla made for her birthday party tomorrow. You cannot imagine how much she has reminded me of Christi lately with all of her homemade art project creations and reading, wild! Currently, she's cutting out horse tails for the "Pin the Tail on the Horse" game we'll play tomorrow at her birthday party. I’m still not ready for her to be the same age Christi was for her final year of life, but…it’s one more thing that’s not up to me.

Speaking of God, much to our surprise, Shayla informed us on Fat Tuesday that she was giving up television for lent. (40 days, no TV – yikes!) I have to admit that I tried to get her to just give up the Disney Channel (her favorite) but she said no TV, period. We talked about the sacrifice Jesus made for all of us and I still think Shayla’s was a pretty big one. So far so good! On a humorous note, I gave up my favorite food (popcorn) for lent. Twenty four hours after I made my announcement, a huge box from “The Popcorn Factory” with MY name on the shipping label arrived. I was certain it was a gift for Shayla’s birthday (it was) and she asked me who it was from. I responded, “I think it’s from God. He’s testing me.” Her eyes were huge as she inquired, “Really?” What a hoot! Finally, I told her it was from a sweet “Christi Fan” who wanted her to have a sweet treat for her
birthday. Inside was a huge Ohio State tin filled with popcorn!! (Thanks so much to a sweet blogger in Tennessee!!) Shayla said that she’d take it to her party this
weekend to share with everyone (except those who gave up popcorn for lent - ME!). Perhaps God will send a big screen TV to test Shayla next, hee hee! (As Christi said to me, “You can always hope.”)

Now for that super exciting and unbelievable Shayla news! After school on Thursday Shayla bounced into my classroom and said, “I know you’re busy grading papers, but I think you’ll want to stop to read this orange paper!” I read it and tears of joy streamed down my face. I then gave her the longest hug until finally she broke away and said, “I’m really sorry about interrupting you, but I thought you’d like this news too!” I got out my cell phone so she could call and tell her daddy.

The paper stated she was being asked by the school’s music teacher to audition for a part in the high school musical, “Oklahoma!” (They need ten children in grades k-7 to be in three song and dance numbers. Right up Shayla’s alley, eh?!) Yes, that would be the very first school musical on our school’s amazing new stage!! Now we have no idea if she’ll get picked or not, but we have had fun talking to her about being in the 3rd grade and being in a “high school musical” (since she loves
that movie so much). We’ve also spoken with her about not getting a part and about not talking about this at school, or to her classmates so that no one’s feelings will be hurt. Meanwhile, it's been "career changing" (smile). She now wants to be an actress instead of an animal trainer.

We still haven’t bought a birthday present for Shayla yet, but when we asked her what she wanted she said, “I don’t want anything except to get picked to be in “Oklahoma!” Auditions are next week. I think she'll be fine if she doesn't get it. She's a well-adjusted, reasonable little one.

13 Comments:

At 8/2/08 6:56 PM, Blogger Jennifer Lehmann said...

Your story about giving up TV and popcorn cracked my mom and I up!! Wow! I am impressed with the BOTH of you. Please, do let us know when that big screen TV arrives. You know if you EVER win one...it will be now. :-)

I love Shayla's fantastic news! Even if she doesn't make it - auditioning will be so much fun for her! I feel another "Where's Shayla?" game coming on...has she been to Oklahoma?

 
At 8/2/08 8:50 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Wow Shayla no TV for 40 days! That's incredible, I don't think I could do it!

I hope you get the part in Oklahoma- I'll have my fingers crossed for you.

Have a fun birthday party tomorrow I can't wait to see pictures of it! :)

Lots of love sweetheart,
Heather

 
At 8/2/08 10:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

O-K-L-A-H-O-M-A

Good luck Shayla and have the happiest of birthdays!!

 
At 8/2/08 11:12 PM, Blogger Kimberly said...

Awesome horse Shayla! I am impressed. Have a wonderful birthday and may all your birthday wishes come true.

Kimberly

 
At 9/2/08 5:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope Shayla's party is a wonderful event - happy birthday little one! It's great that your new school is working out to be such a success for both of you. Again, congratulations on such a lovely family.

Irene

 
At 9/2/08 5:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Thomas Team......

Shayla, your horse looks terrific. You are one clever little chickadee. Hope your party is loads of fun. We'll be waiting for the update and plenty of pics.

Angela and Shayne, I went to Phantom of the Opera this afternoon. It is here in Brisbane for a few months. I couldn't help thinking of you all attending in Louisville recently while I was sitting watching this afternoon.

I also would like you to know that Christi inspired me recently. I was stuck in traffic and less than impressed about being delayed. While I muttered and grumbled about the traffic not moving, I looked up and saw a Blood Bank van parked nearby. It made me think of Christi and all those NB warriors who need so many transfusions. I figured if I was going to be late, I'd be really, really late so I stopped, donated blood. I was on my way an hour later, the traffic had cleared and I was in the best frame of mind. Please can't complain about someone being late when sporting Blood Bank bandages!

Good night from Australia. Michelle

 
At 9/2/08 8:49 AM, Blogger Olivia said...

Shayla, you are simply amazing. I hope you have a wonderful party this weekend!

Love,
Olivia

 
At 9/2/08 8:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shayla!! That is such a big honour, being asked to audition by your music teacher - she must see what we can see - that you're a star in the making!!

GOOD LUCK with the audition! And have a fantastic horse party, it looks so fun :)

I'm sure Christi is sending down these opportunities to make Shaylauary extra special this year

xxx

 
At 9/2/08 9:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SHAYLA!

 
At 9/2/08 11:13 AM, Blogger IS Teacher said...

Oh Shayla!.........How exciting for you!!! WOW! Have FUN on your audition first and foremost!

Katie, Emily and I are sending you our very best wishes for your ninth birthday. Have a wonderful party! Katie turned 14 yesterday herself and we had a grand time. How quickly the years go by.......Right, Mom??

And Mom-congrats on your popcorn sacrifice(!) Emily's favorite food in the entire world is also popcorn-but this year she just didn't have it in her to give it up for Lent.

Give Shelby and Will a great big hug for us, will you please?

Love to all!

 
At 9/2/08 8:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Shayla, that's awesome! I know you'll work hard on your part and hopefully you'll get it! That horse cookie in the entry below looks really yummy, you and Aunt Marty always seem to have so much fun together.

My sister's baby was due today but that little girl apparently isn't ready to make her entrance yet. It'd be pretty cool if she came on Shayla's birthday! :)

 
At 9/2/08 11:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Shayla I do hope you get picked for "Oklahoma" and if you do I will be sure to come and see it. And I agree with all the others..........everyone should have an Aunt Marty. How blessed you all are to have her in your lives. She is a loving, talented lady. And HAPPY BIRTHDAY Shayla.

nancy

 
At 9/2/08 11:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy 9th Birthday Shayla! I hope your party was wonderful; as a matter of fact, I KNOW it was wonderful! :-)

Good luck with the audition too, and remember that no matter how it turns out, only the best were asked there in the first place!! You should be SO proud!!

Pat in CA

 

Post a Comment

<< Home