Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Thanks & A New Angel

Shayla with Christi's cat, Buckeye. She dressed her in a build-a-bear outfit.
PICTURE: Shayla put Christi's build-a-bear wig on Buttercup and Buttercup could have cared less! Shayla snapped this photo.

Thanks so much for your concern about my “stomach issue”. I really appreciate your thoughtful emails and postings!! I did return to my doctor and he still believes it is “gastritis” which is an irritation and thinning of my stomach lining. He said it is caused by an increase in stomach acid, produced more as we age (I am 40 now.) and while under stress. The “attacks” have occurred after eating rich, fatty foods (Chinese food, ice cream, mashed potatoes & gravy, diet Coke, brownies, and chicken nuggets). He put me in Nexium and I’m going to continue to try to avoid those foods. Even though the lady on our living room floor does not look a thing like the beautiful woman in perfect positions on my DVD, I also started doing Pilates as I know I must exercise. I hope it helps!! I really don’t like being on medication, but I do hope I feel better soon. Thanks again for your wonderful suggestions and thoughts!

Although I knew one day this news would come, it is still with terrible sadness I share the news of Harrison’s death, just a couple of weeks shy of his 9th birthday. Harrison and Christi were diagnosed within months of each other and on many of the same trials together at MSKCC. He fought for an amazing 5 ¾ years – wow!! His mother and grandparents are the best! I remember one time speaking with Harrison’s grandmother and telling her how nice of her to come to the hospital with Gina and Harrison each day and she said, “How could I go off and enjoy retirement while Harrison is treating for cancer?” As I spent much of Monday crying my eyes out as I cleaned out Christi’s closet, I know none of their lives will ever be the same. Run, Harrison, run and never look back!!

6 Comments:

At 19/2/08 9:42 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

I'm so very sorry over the death of your friend Harrison from this horrible, evil disease.

His family will be in my prayers.

I hope the Nexium will bring you some relief soon. My brother and Mom both use it with good success.

With Love and Prayers,
Heather

 
At 19/2/08 10:01 PM, Blogger Olivia said...

My heart goes out to Harrison's family. This is devastating news.

Love to you all,
Olivia

 
At 19/2/08 10:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing those pictures. I was recently wondering how Christi's babies were doing. I can tell Shayla takes great care of them! :)

I read Harrison's update from early in the month and they had gotten a little miracle after doctors said he had days left. I know they had lots of prayers and hope that he'd continue surprising doctors. It's so hard each time another amazing warrior becomes an angel because they fight SO hard to live. Harrison will be loved and missed!

I have some happy news to share. My niece Amelia was born this morning at 9:41am! She was 10 days late but well worth the wait! She's 7lbs 10oz and 19 inches. Mommy and baby are both doing great! She's the sweetest little girl and I'm already in love. I was with my sister for a few hours and held her for about an hour today and she was just so precious. She has a very relaxed personality (so far!)

 
At 20/2/08 3:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Angela,

Harrison and Christi are both so inspirational! I would like to send you a letter, only problem is I live in Australia, so I think email is more appropriate. Is there anywhere on Christ's site where I can find your email address? I found Christi's site through my friend Dylan Hartung (Also fighting NB), and I read your blogs every week. Christi was so beautiful, and like many others, I wish I had the honour of meeting her.

 
At 20/2/08 5:39 AM, Blogger Kimberly said...

Hang in there. I guess with your current state you will forced to cut out all that high acidic, fatty food? Sounds like someone will be ready for bikini season. Tryign to find the bright side, because I get uneasy imagining life without all those yummies.
We will keep Harrison's family in our prayers and you guys as well.
I am sure that you have been dreading cleaning out her closet for some time. I can't imagine how hard that was for you.

 
At 20/2/08 1:34 PM, Blogger Llyn said...

Please, please, if your symptoms do not improve, consider your gallbladder. After years of painful attacks and diagnoses such as gastritis, ulcers, stress, "nervous stomach" and the like, I found I had gallstones. Your description of the attacks occuring after eating fatty foods is a classic sign of a gallbladder disorder. Request an ERCP (I found I also had a gallstone stuck in my bile duct)if necessary.

I hope you feel better soon--you've suffered enough. Thanks for your never-ending inspiration!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home