Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Monday, June 23, 2008

End of Shore Time

Shayne took off early this morning for a meeting in Princeton, NJ before we head home today. Back in late September, when Shayne lost his job, by the newly hired bank President who had been in town a few weeks, I was devastated. (The reason was, “You and I just aren’t going to get along,” which was hilarious because anyone who knows Shayne knows he gets along with EVERYONE!) Shayne told me that day, “Shayne Thomas will be fine. I am just worried about my clients and my colleagues left working for a guy like that.” He was right! Within hours, word spread, the phone was ringing off the hook and he had great job offers. Many who called me in the following weeks trying to track him down told me, “He’s the best banker in Northwestern Ohio.“ Well, it turned out to be an incredible blessing with a MUCH better job he started the following Monday. Little did I know his new job would get us out here for a little vacation time with the Grants too - what a blessing!!!


While I had wanted to go with him (to see the university) I decided to hang out with the Grants for the additional hours. They really are the sweetest family! Shayla has had an incredible time (as we all have). Last night, they took us to The Boardwalk - about five miles of amusement rides, shopping and food right along the Atlantic Ocean. We were having so much fun, we nearly stayed until midnight. I hope we can return to visit with the Grants again next year. (I really wished they lived just down the street instead of 500 miles away.) I feel like I’ve known the Grants forever and they so kindly listened to all of my “Christi babblings” and with them I feel so comfortable I don’t feel like I’m bringing them down.

Debbie and I talked about feeling bad for their oldest daughter, as she would have paired up with Christi, but the three girls got along fabulous! (Their oldest is just amazing! Not only have their girls hosted many "Alex & Christi Lemonade Stands", but she's also donated her hair to "Locks of Love" and Shayne and I were quite moved this spring to learn she had selected "CHRISTI" for her Confirmation name. Amazing!) Shayla found many coins this trip and told us Christi must be leaving the money there for her to make her happy. (When Christi was in treatment I would never let her pick up a coin off of the ground, always fearful it’d make her sick.)

"Shore Girls" (waiting to go out on the boat) Hopefully, we'll have an uneventful trip home. Shayla needs to get back to working with Skeeter; she has a Mounted Meeting again on Tuesday and is meeting with sweet Kelsey before that to hopefully find a "Western" show outfit of Kelsey's that will fit so she can borrow it for Saturday's show. (She also has a bunny skill-a-ton she's supossed to do for her other 4H club that day, but it's at the same time so I'm not certain what's going to happen.)

While driving out here we stopped at a fast food restaurant. As I got out of the van, I felt something bump by ankle. I was wearing Capri's and I looked down and saw Christi's First Holy Communion and final thumbprint necklace I wear nearly every day on the ground. My heart sank and I literally had to catch my breath as I gripped it in my hand and prayed thanks to God that I didn't lose it. My task upon arriving home will be to go to the jewelry store to see what went wrong with the clasp on my necklace and to get it fixed.

4 Comments:

At 23/6/08 8:43 AM, Blogger Nikking said...

WILDWOOD!!!! Oh, no, you were so CLOSE!! Well, ok, maybe I am off by a bit....We are about 15 miles from Philly, and about 68 miles from Wildwood. Just wish I could have met you all! Maybe next time?

I am sure you noticed, they had a bit of a fire last week. Due to the fire they lost two rides, "Seal Plume" and "Super Scooters." All of us "Wildwood Vacationers" are really thanking God that it was only two rides. The two mile stretch of boardwalk in Wildwood, NJ is (and always has been) my favorite! I hope the Thomas Team had fun! (I know I always do!)

 
At 23/6/08 11:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE THE THOMAS FAMILY!!! :) You are all amazing people. I enjoy reading your "happenings". You sure are busy (and I'm glad of that). Thinking of you all!! Good luck in the horse show Shayla...I know you'll do great!!

Amy Brown
Gleason, WI

 
At 23/6/08 1:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you, Shayne, for turning a negative into such a positive! I am glad you were able to find a better position so quickly. Truly, it is his (and the bank's) loss for not realizing what a valuable employee you are. Onwards and upwards...

Shayla, have a great summer and have fun at your upcoming horse show. I know you will do great.

As always, warmest wishes to the Thomas Team!

Shirley
NJ

 
At 23/6/08 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*Starts singing* "Spent their weekends down the Jersey shore...."

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Wildwood boardwalk. It is such an awesome place!

As a longtime resident of the Jersey shore, I'm glad you guys enjoyed it!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home