Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Older Than Christi

(PIC: Unrelated to today's post. This is Skeeter getting out of the trailer in preparation for Shayla's 4H meeting this week.)

Well, the dreaded day has arrived. At 9AM this morning, Shayla became older than Christi ever was. Weird, it feels so odd. A couple of months ago, while we all sat in the kitchen, Shayla asked, "Hey, now that I'm nine plus a little bit am I now the "big little sister"? I knew exactly what she was talking about. She wondered if she was older than Christi ever got to be. I told her that time wouldn't come until June 19th; I had calculated it out long ago. She asked me to tell her when it was and although I was dreading it, I did.

At 8:45 this morning, I came out of the shower and sat down on the edge of Shayla's bed and told her at 9AM she would officially be older than Christi ever was. While it pained me greatly, she got a big smile on her face. We do have something special planned for today.


NORTH ROYALTON TEACHER & MOM of THREE:
YES!!!! We were at Cedar Point on Monday! I just wish you would have introduced yourself! I would have loved meeting you in person! Do you have passes? Will you be back? Please email and let us know when we can meet!! A short while back, one of Christi's sweet "Chemo Angels" told us she'd be at Cedar Point on Monday. I told her if things were going well with my paper, we would buzz up to meet her for a few hours. We did; it was TREMENDOUS! And I submitted my (nearly 50 page) paper yesterday! I am fully enjoying my one week break!! (OK, actually I'm reading and preparing for Question #2 already, but.....I don't feel the pressure I did!)

8 Comments:

At 19/6/08 10:40 AM, Blogger Lyndsay said...

I can't imagine how strange it must feel to have your littlest girl become your oldest daughter. Thankfully, it sounds like it's something that pleases Shayla. I hope you all enjoy your 'something special' today!

 
At 19/6/08 11:07 AM, Blogger lesleegp said...

Praise the Lord for Shayla's precious life!

 
At 19/6/08 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Shayla - your Skeeter looks a lot like my daughter's Hank - Skeeter is very handsome. Keep up the riding and loving horses - it is such a great thing to do and horses are great things to love. Remember, the worst day can be made right if you just HUG YOUR HORSE. It is a great responsibility taking care of Skeeter - you are doing a great job. Congratulations! Mary H - St. Louis, MO

 
At 19/6/08 11:57 AM, Blogger Meg said...

Thinking of you! Hard to believe Shayla is older then her big sister. I know that day was tough for my sister when she became older then my brother. It isn't fair.

 
At 19/6/08 4:10 PM, Blogger Sheila Ferrell said...

I know it is the innocent of youth for Shayla to be curious about her age in comparison to Christi's but oh, so heartbreaking! That pumpkin should have lived easily another 30,000 days.
A lot of Christi's important dates and timelines brings pain to my heart but so far none as much as this one. I guess it is because it symbolizes that she should be with her little sister and sharing in all these days as the big sister.
Love you guys and pray for you every day!
Love, hugs and sweetest angel kisses from South Texas

 
At 19/6/08 4:29 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Skeeter is such a beautiful horse! I'm sure Shayla is quite happy to be older, even if it is sad.

 
At 19/6/08 6:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Shayla, you're such an amazing little girl. Well, not so little anymore "BIG little sister". I have you had a fun day, dispite having a child the same exact age as the one that was stolen away from you.

On the Poker Run shirts - I love the cards they sued at the top - a 10, King, Queen, Jack, and Ace. Those are the cards that are worth the most... Christi sure was worth the most in life.

-Micaela.

 
At 19/6/08 8:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am happy that you have a very happy, vibrant daughter in Shayla. I am so sorry that you have to live and deal with the loss of Christi everyday. I feel your pain with each and every post I just don't write often. I check your post everyday to see how your family is doing. I am so sorry you loss Christi to that horrible beast, something has to be done to stop it in it's tracks!!! God Bless you and your family, I hold each and everyone of you in my prayers everynight.

Debbie Waters

 

Post a Comment

<< Home