Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Friday, July 04, 2008

4th of July

Christi & Shayla with the Ronald McDonald House Families, July 4th in NYC, 2003, watching the fireworks with the NYPD on the pier!

Shayla was thrilled to find her friend from last year as soon as we drove into the condo. We visited with her parents last night, poolside, while the girls put on water shows for us. Friends are a great blessing! I took a break from my writing yesterday to get the mail. (I guess I needed a punch in the stomach.) The UPenn Hospital (the adult hospital, beside CHOP, where Christi received those horrific radiation treatments to her brain and leg at the very end) sent a bill. Yeppers, nearly two years later. Shayne's insurance paid all but $4,000 of the $38,000 bill but we owe $4,000. I guess I'm a bit miffed because it's been almost two years and I thought we knew where we stood with everyone, but also, it was absolutely horrific for her - being bolted to a board with a hard mesh mask over her face, leaving marks on her little face. Having to be alone in a dark room, she was terribly frightened. And....it didn't do a thing to hault that evil cancer. I think it should have come with a guarantee. "We won't charge you if it doesn't work." (LOL!)

5 Comments:

At 4/7/08 10:31 AM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Happy 4th of July Thomas family.

UGH on the bill from UPENN- I agree that you shouldn't have to pay if it doesn't work.

Much love and many hugs to all of you!

xxoxox,
Heather

 
At 4/7/08 8:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angela, Shayne and Shayla. Here we are in DC at the NEA RA and I cant help but think of you all- we miss you.

A personal note to Shayla: the most recent picture of you on this site really shows what an absolute gorgeous young lady that you have grown into!
Happy 4th of July.

Diana DeLauder & Joshua

 
At 4/7/08 9:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Angela, I'm so sorry you're getting these bills in the mail now! I would imagine it's so difficult to see them and to be reminded once again of the pain your sweet Christi went through. I am praying that next week you get a letter saying it was all a mistake, you owe nothing!

 
At 4/7/08 10:30 PM, Blogger Olivia said...

I completely agree, Angela-- they definitely shouldn't charge if it doesn't work.

Thinking of you all and wishing you a 4th of July full of all of the comfort you need. You never cease to amaze me.

Love,
Olivia

 
At 8/7/08 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would call the hospital and ask them why they are billing you 2 years later. Ask them when they were paid by Shayne's insurance and why they waited so long.

It doesn't make sense.

God bless you all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home