Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Friday, January 30, 2009

Our Baby's Home

Ahhhhhhh, she's home! Well, actually off to horse riding lessons now (see picture). I stayed back to catch up. I had planned to take her, but then received a call telling me that if I didn't have a 4 wheel drive, I was going to get stuck in their driveway and that I shouldn't even attempt it. Thankfully, Shayne has a new 4 wheel drive vehicle for the first time ever, so I called him and he came home from work early to take her to lessons. I was also VERY THANKFUL for that awesome truck this morning! (I just wish I had heated seats like he does. They are amazing!) The roads were horrible so I followed Shayne to work and then just continued on from there to the airport, where the roads continued to improve as I went north. When I received a call telling me school was cancelled today, I wasn't surprised. And I had to chuckle, realizing Shayla only missed 2 1/2 days of school all week, as we had 2 1/2 snow days, and just 2 1/2 days of school. I could not have tried to plan that - amazing!

We did have a fabulous surprise today! While in Toledo, we went to have Shayla measured for her Jr. Bridesmaid Dress for sweet Tiffany & Chris's wedding this summer. I expected them to measure her, but they had sample dresses to try on. Much to my surprise the size 12 dress was in Tiffany's color. When it fit, with a little room to grow, the salesgirl said I could take that one home now, or have them order a new one. Not living close by, I gladly said, "We'll take it now!" Shayla did not want to leave that bridal store. She was in awe, walking up and down all the aisles, "oohhing and ahhing" and asking me if that price could possibly be right. "Mom, some of these wedding gowns cost FOUR numbers?!" She wanted to try on more little girl dresses, so I let her. (OK, I admit, I tried on a couple "big girl" dresses too, after her insistence.) We had entirely too much fun! I missed her so much! I'm thrilled she's back home!

The GREATEST NEWS today happened at Dr. Z.'s Toledo Vision Center! After a complete exam, we learned Shay Shay did not regress in any area and that her eyes have continued to work properly! Praise God! When Dr. D. asked her if she remembered any of this, she shook her head and was shocked. In Shayla's file was a large pile of "D" and "F" reading papers/tests from 1st and 2nd grade. Dr. D. said, "I bet you don't get any of these any more, do you? You're reading well above your grade level!" Shayla was just perplexed as she shook her head and said no. I said, "Actually, she has all As in reading this year and she did last year in 3rd grade too." Dr. Z. asked her if she liked to read now, because she didn't before her treatment. She said, "Oh yes! I took five books to Florida and I finished four of them." As I drove home she said, "I remember getting a couple Fs, but I don't remember all of my papers were that bad." I reminded her that it wasn't her fault. We knew she was very bright, her eyes were just not working together back then and unfortunately, because we were so focused on Christi, it took a while until we could diagnose and then take care of her eye/reading problem. She told me what she remembered was being happy when Christi read to her, or when we read to her, but when she tried to read by herself, she'd keep losing her place. She said her teacher would tell her to follow along, but she couldn't even though she tried. I thank the dear Lord for correcting Shayla's problems. I felt like I was working myself up just like I would before each of Christi's scans, worrying that things had turned sour. We are blessed beyond belief!

<Christi, age 4 or 5, riding a bike at Aunt Marty's.
Christi and Shelby, Cousins Playing (age 4 or 5). This week while going through some scrapbooks, I came across something I saved of Christi's. It was a page that said, "When I Grow Up". Oh, that made me so sad and so angry. How could that sweet little girl not have been granted a chance to grow up?! I keep telling myself she's in a better place, but I still can't help but think the best place for her is in our arms. May God continue to give me wisdom and strength. It's times like these when I really really need it!

Shayla Humor: While driving today I said, "Shayla, I was surprised when you told me you enjoyed going shopping because you don't like going shopping." Without missing a beat she replied, "Well, it's like this. When I go to a store with you, you say, 'Now what did you need, Shayla?' When I went in a store with Nonee, she said, "Now what do you WANT, Shayla?'. Ah, yes, I got it now! There's definitely a difference.

5 Comments:

At 31/1/09 8:31 AM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Welcome Home Shayla! It looks and sounds like you had a great time with your Grandparents! :)

And the bridesmaids dress is gorgerous on you! Beautiful! I love the color!

Angela- Continuing to pray for you all the time for strength and wisdom as you continue to walk this path without your Christi. I agree unfair and unjust in my mind too.

With all my love and prayers,
Heather

 
At 31/1/09 3:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shayla looks so grown up and so pretty in that dress. What a beautiful color it is, too!
It makes me so sad though to see that photo and to think how Christi should have been shopping for a pretty gown with her sister. Darn cancer!

 
At 31/1/09 11:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shayla looks so beautiful in that dress...Glad to hear she made it home safe, and the snow didn't delay her. God Bless!!

 
At 1/2/09 10:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My god - she looks so grown up! And pretty! I'm so pleased you are blessed with her good health.

Irene

 
At 11/2/09 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hoping for an update on birthday week

 

Post a Comment

<< Home