Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Thursday, July 16, 2009

State Fair Qualifier

While Shayla was at her final day of Franciscan Earth Literacy Camp (focusing on survival) this week I received a phone call. Much to my shock, surprise and delight I learned that Shayla's 4H Scrapbook Project qualified for the state fair. Can you believe it?! They needed to know if she could go, if not they'd call the second place winner to let her go instead. I called to check with Shayne and then went to pick up the packet of materials to go to Columbus. When I told Shayla, I nearly cried. She hugged me saying, "I can't believe I'm going to the state fair!" She asked how many others would enter and I told her that Ohio has 88 counties. She was silent and then she said after quite a pause, "Well, I guess I'll go and show what I did then can I buy some fried food and look at the animals?" I see she has her priorities straight! Good girl! Hee hee!

Picture: This is the poster she made for the Poster Contest, ages 8-9 for our county fair coming up soon. She said to me, "It looks like a big scrapbook page, doesn't it?" I have to admit, it does!

Shayne sent me a sad piece today. He titled it, "When the best isn't good enough" When I opened the pdf file it was a study showing hospital rankings for children with cancer. The #1 Hospital for treating children's cancer - CHOP. I assured him we had her to the very best places in the world, her survival just wasn't meant to be.
I may never know why, but I will always believe she had the very best of care available to anyone in the world - she deserved that, and she got it! We just miss her to pieces. She sure packed a lifetime of love and kisses, laughter and tears into nine short years. Rest in peace, sweet Christi - my little sweetpea. I promise I'm going to get your grave marker ordered soon!

PICTURES:
Taken with the "Vets' Pets" at the Ronald McDonald House, two different times in the late winter/early spring in Philly, 2006. Good times!

5 Comments:

At 16/7/09 8:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Shayla - Enjoy your time in Columbus - it's a great place to be.

I, too, saw the hospital listings yesterday.

If you want to see what one local father is trying to do, please visit Alexa Brown's Caring Bridge site. Her father, Warren, is recruiting support.

Peace:)

 
At 17/7/09 4:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Shayla! This is awesome news, although I'm NOT surprised she made it to state! And, you're so right...she has her priorities straight alright, wanting to know if she can get yummy fried fair food and pet animals afterwards! LOVE the poster Shayla made! What a natural!
I had seen that CHOP is at the top of the list -- of course you gave Christi it all, but sadly it just wasn't meant to be that she remain here. (sigh)

 
At 17/7/09 10:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great! I guessed that the invite to show her scrapbook to the other judge would be a good sign. It's wonderful that she can deal with competition so well.

As for Shayne's comment - it must be very tough to accept that you did everything you could and that this terrible disease remained too strong for Christi. However, you really did give her the best in the world - and through maintaining this website, and your personal strength and integrity as a family you have, I'm sure inspired many to find out more about neuroblastoma and contribute money and time for a cure. Please God Christi's example will not be in vain.

Irene

 
At 17/7/09 3:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angela,

I'm not even sure when I started following Chriti's blog, but I still find myself coming back to it to see how you, Shayne and Shayla are doing. We live in Suburban Philadelphia, and my college roommate worked at CHOP in the cardiac ICU for years. CHOP IS a phenomenal hospital....you jumped through hoops to make sure she was with some of the top doctors in the world. I can assure you, that the doctors and nurses who work there are top notch, and grow to love and bond with their little patients as if they were their own children.

Once my roommate began to have a family of her own (7 years ago), she just couldn't "handle" the sadness of working in the cardiac ICU....it began to hit way too close to home. She now has three small children, and works at a Pharmaceutical company doing desk work; but I suspect that when her children are grown, she'll be going back to CHOP. It's who she is. It's what she was meant to do.

That whole rambling story, just to say that I concur....CHOP is a wonderful hospital!!

I commented once on here before, and told you that I think of your sweet girl every time I drive on the infamous Schuylkill Expressway......and I STILL do! EVERY single time. I say a little prayer for her, hoping that God is holding her close...

Julie H.
Bucks County, PA

 
At 21/7/09 3:21 PM, Anonymous Kyler Paige Matthews said...

I recently learned of Christi, and her courageous little self and let me say that she is truly one of God's most beautiful angels.

My twin brother, Jeydon, recently passed away from Neuroblastoma also, when he was 14 after a ten year long battle and I am sure he has found Christi by now. I know that they are so free in Heaven, but saying that it still hurts is a gross understatement.

Well wishes,
Kyler.

www.curingjeydon.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home