Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Thursday, June 06, 2013

Overdue Update

Wow!  I didn't realize I hadn't updated Christi's site for so long!  We've been busy!  HERE GOES:

Shayne commissioned a California artist to do a painting for us.  It's of our favorite place on Kelley's Island, our friends' boat and our bikes. (Note the "shadow" of a 4th bike; that was his incorporation of Christi).  We love it!
A few weeks ago, when we were able to be with one of Christi's school friends, she told me she is a Chemistry Assistant and prepares the honors lab at her high school. As the assistant, she creates solutions and gives them names because they are "mystery solutions". She named one CHRISTI THOMAS and told me, "The numbers and chemicals were assigned randomly (except for lead, which I didn't put in this one because it's the hardest to get out), but it has cobalt (Co(NO3)2, pink) and silver (AgNO3, colorless). We used nitrates because they're better for aqueous solutions." I was soooooo touched! I was grateful she actually took a picture AND shared it with us! What a sweetie! And the fact she didn't include lead in the Christi one was precious! THANKS, THANKS, sweet Eliana

Shayla is really looking forward to her dance recital this weekend at the Ritz Theater!  She's been practicing a few times a day all of her routines.  She loves her dance friends and is looking forward to the recital.


With great sadness I share that one of Christi's 4th grade classmates was killed last week in a car accident.  (His brother was also killed.)  I was also blessed to have 7th in my seventh grade.  He was a very nice young man!  He will be missed!  I pray for his family every time I think of him; their lives will never be the same.
A few weeks ago we went to Seneca East High School to award the annual Christi Thomas Memorial Scholarships.  I can't tell you  how nice it was to be back visiting with my former students and their parents!  I had a blast!

Congratulations to Emily Depinet on winning the $1,000 scholarship.  Since there were so many amazing students, we added some "book scholarships" too.  They were given to:  Ashley Bond, Jessica Enders, Aston Daniel, Riley Wagner, Michayla Stallings, Beh Hahler and Jordan Bowerman.  Congratulations!
Shayla asked her fellow Student Council me members to host an "Alex's Lemonade Stand" for one week during all of their lunch periods.  Thankfully, they agreed and they raised nearly $400!  Thank you for "putting a squeeze" on childhood cancer, students!






Remember, this weekend is National Lemonade Days!  Shayla has teamed up with "Kids Cancer Crusade" and she will be working a lemonade stand in Fremont this weekend!  As she told someone recently, "If you need a lemonade fix, stop by and see me!"

2 Comments:

At 6/6/13 4:13 PM, Blogger Holly said...

Always great to hear what's going on with the Thomas Team!

Love,
Holly
Katy, Texas

 
At 9/6/13 10:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angela - I have followed you for years, since Christi was alive and I bawled my eyes out for you and your family since on her journey. Once, about 2 1/2 years ago, I saw you in Heidelberg's library printing lab and completely caught my breath. I couldn't believe it was you!! I didn't have the courage to say anything, but I have always regretted not saying anything. I lost my own cousin to cancer at the age of 17 in 1996 and it has changed my life eve since; I can only imagine how Shayla is impacted. Since then, I have gotten my Master's in School Counseling from Heidelberg. I'm potentially interviewing for a school counseling job at Buckeye-Central. Any advice in this area of the state?! I admire your Ph.D and your family and everything else so incredibly much. Thank you for your faith, courage, intelligence, and everything else....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home