Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Purgatory


Traditional Catholic teaching represents that there is a place after death that is neither hell nor heaven. It is a place where a soul rests and is prayed for while it awaits final ascensions to heaven. Angela sent this picture to me shortly after our meeting with Maris. It has an other-worldly quality to it, to me it looks like Christi is either emerging from the light or is willingly submerging into it. Nonetheless, we are currently caught somewhere between heaven and hell.

The disease has responded to treatment,(YEAH) but, unfortunately at a high cost. Her bone marrow has been extremely suppressed and her counts are not expected to recover for some time yet. Further, we have attempted most available treatments and it has not rid her of the disease, so we have nearly run out of promising options.

One final option may be to attempt BSO/L-Pam. This is a toxic combination that has been used with some success against NB. As of this writing this is our next step. It is a closely monitored treatment that Christi is not really eligible for at this time, however, Dr. Maris has agreed to attempt to get a one time compassionate release for her from the FDA. The reason for the caution is justified by the fact that there have been some deaths associated with BSO/L-Pam treatment.

We have faced mounting pressure from our caregivers at CHOP to keep Christi in Philadelphia where she has access to supportive care. At this time we have made the decision, given her dire prognosis, to bring her home for as much time as possible. Although this has a high risk associated with it, we feel it is the best decision. She continues to feel very well with few outward signs of disease.

So I expect that they will be flying home today with Eden and her family. We hope that she will be in school tomorrow.

Shayne

4 Comments:

At 3/5/06 1:53 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

I'm glad to hear that Christi has had a response to the treatment- but it saddness me greatly that it has come at such a high price.

I'll be praying that she remains feeling well and is indeed able to go to school tomorrow.

I can't imagine the decesions you and Angela have made these past 3 and half years for Christi. Every one made out of love for her, with her very best interest at heart. You guys are amazing parents.

I love all of you soo much!!

With continued love and tons of prayers for you all,
Heather

 
At 3/5/06 2:29 PM, Blogger Jennifer Lehmann said...

I'm praying so hard that those counts work their way back up soon. I bet even with low counts Christi and Eden will be giggling all the way home together.

Love you!
-Jennifer

 
At 3/5/06 4:54 PM, Blogger thonmom06 said...

CALLING ALL DONORS!!!!

I had an appointment to give blood today...before I left I checked Christi's site and made a note to myself to ask about donating platelets. When I arrived the first question I was asked was "would you like to donate platelets instead today?...it will take 1.5 hrs but we really need them". YES!!! I told them all about Christi and how I made a mental note to ask...I guess even they know about my short term memory loss! : ) HOWEVER, I take a baby aspirin every day and you cannot have aspirin for three days when donating platelets. I asked if I should donate whole blood or would they prefer I reschedule for platelets...I'll be going back Friday aspirin free. SO, FOR ANYONE WHO OUT THERE WHO IS ABLE TO DONATE, PLEASE CALL AND MAKE AN APPOINTMENT NOW!!!! There are many Christi's out there who need us. Wherever you are. THANK YOU!

Thomas Team...oh Shayne, you described it too well. So please count on us, Christi's prayer warriors, to continue to pray for that miracle. I believe in miracles Shayne and Angela. Oh dear God, let this family feel Your peace...somehow. Amen.

love, sylvia (sending a bunch of hugs)

 
At 4/5/06 1:47 PM, Blogger thonmom06 said...

Praying that this Thursday is holding special memories for all of you. Praying for nothing short of a miracle. love, sylvia xoxo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home