Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Friday, July 28, 2006

July 29th: An Emotional Day of Rememberance

(Picture: Shayne and I joking around with my mom and dad on our wedding day, Nov. 1991.) Ten years ago today (1996) I received word from my mother that my dad had a heart attack while camping at our annual vacation destination - Silver Lake Sand Dunes in Michigan. Shayne and I quickly packed our bags and took off on the eight hour drive north thinking we'd spend some time with dad while he recovered at the hospital. Never did I imagine an hour later my mom would get a hold of us on our way to tell us dad didn't make it. Never have I forgotten the blood curling scream my sister yelled into the phone when I called her with the news. Never have I forgotten that days before his death: he turned 55 and he also ran a 7 minute mile. He seemed so healthy. Things can change so rapidly. Much has happened in ten years; yet I know through it all my dad has been right beside me every step of the way. Rest in peace, dad. I love you!

(Photo: In a hot air balloon after Shayne proposed to me.) On a happier note, sixteen years ago today- July 29, 1990, Shayne picked me up and I thought we were going to early Mass so I wore a dress. We were heading pass the Tiffin airport when suddenly he said, "Looks like they're blowing up a hot air balloon. Let's check it out." I knew we didn't have time, but didn't think anything of it. As Shayne stepped out of his truck, I saw him reach behind his seat and pull out a camera. (After dating for SEVEN years, I always said, "If you ever propose to me, please take a camera so I can show my mom.") What I also didn't know was that a week earlier he had asked my dad for permission to marry me. He came over to our house to visit and right away said to my dad. "Something might not be right in my truck. Could you go for a ride with me and listen?" It wasn't until July 29th (engagement day) when I put it all together. Then I remembered my dad returning and when I asked him if it was a big problem with the truck he responded, "I don't think it's going to be a problem at all." (Little did I know my engagement ring was in the glove box.) The balloon ride was incredible and oh so romantic. It was definitely worth the wait! Because my parents left for Silver Lake Michigan for vacation that very same day, we had a balloon / floral arrangement sent to their campsite which said, "Had an engaging encounter, call home!" Of course my dad knew exactly what had happened, but he kept his word to Shayne and never told. A week later when Shayne and I went to visit with them there was a beautiful cake with hot air balloons of frosting on it waiting for us all to enjoy together.

Three years ago (July 29, 2003) Christi had a complete resection of her tumor- in a tricky spots, by the wonderful Dr. LaQualia in NYC. I've always felt that dad had a role in Christi's birth since she was conceived about a month after his death. I believe he is one of Christi's MANY Guardian Angels. Earlier that summer Shayne and I had gone to Rome and prayed at the Vatican to become parents. (Now I joke that we never prayed to have a healthy child, hindsight!) Regardless, I like to think that my dad had some role to play. July 29, 2003 was a very scary time. She had some complications from surgery and she was absolutely miserable. We were so glad all of the tumor was removed and yet fearful and so far from home.

Today we are reminded of the many "Strangers Turned Friends" who have helped us along this journey. Our internet friend (Nikki) is "Blogging for a Cure" to raise money for CNCF in Christi's honor. http://bloggingforchristi.blogspot.com/

We have been so blessed.

1 Comments:

At 29/7/06 12:13 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Dear Angela,

Thank you for sharing your memories of this day with all of us. Many prayers for your family today and always.

With much love,
Heather

 

Post a Comment

<< Home