Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Deceiving

Last night's "Open House" was tremendous! I was so happy getting to meet a new class of excited students and Christi & Shayla were thrilled about getting settled in their classrooms too! Shayla was happy to be reunited with freinds she didn't get to see all summer and Christi was very serious, carefully putting everything in it's exact and proper spot in her desk. (This will be her first year without Theresa in her class and she has a very heavy heart about that.) Here is a picture with her very beautiful and very nice teacher (and a GREAT one too!). School can't start soon enough- for Christi! (Christi told me last night, "I thought she going to be an old teacher because you said she taught for many years, but then I saw her and she is a really young teacher." Precious!)

While the girls were occupied in the library today, I stepped outside to call the hospital to get the blood results. You know what they say about looks? Hmmm! Irionically, Christi looks and feels great; sadly, her blood counts disagree with that. Blood counts were drawn from her arm at the hopstial this morning. I wish I had better news. Platelets down again (a bit) to 58 and her LDH up (a lot in my opinion) to 401 (300 last week, ugh). Hgb. 10.4 and white 3.7 (both low, but okay). I spoke with NP Pat who said that she or Dr. Maris would get ahold of us yet today, but so far that hasn't happened. Shayne and I will do nothing to interfere with Christi's first week of school next week so we are planning on sticking to this schedule and not flying back to CHOP until Shayne takes her on the 29th for her tests and scans. We do not expect her to be able to continue on this Fenretenid any longer, and we are concerned that pain will soon set in; however, as Christi often says, "It may be impossible, but we can still hope, right?" So we'll hope and pray with all our might that she can stay on this chemo and that it is doing some good, despite the signs of her blood work.

To get my mind off of the news, I loaded the girls up and we took off to the city pool where they were having their "Free Swim Day" - yahoo! The girls swam with some friends from religion classes for five straight hours, only stopping to see what I had packed in the cooler. I read a ton for my class as well as did some pleasure reading. (Christi gave me an assignment: to finish the book we were reading together on my own while she did the same and then to discuss it with her later.)

5 Comments:

At 16/8/06 9:52 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

With tears and sadness tonight. UGH!! I'm so sad for and with you.

This disease is evil, evil, evil.

I'm praying hard for all of you. I'm glad Christi is still looking and feeling so well.

Give both the girls a HUGE hug and a kiss from me, and have them give you one too.

Thinking about you constantly and praying all the time!

Loads of love and prayers,

Heather

 
At 16/8/06 10:09 PM, Blogger Jennifer Lehmann said...

Well I am very glad that the girls are happy with their new classrooms and teachers! And is Christi's hair growing fast or what? I think it looks like there is much more of it than last week!

Going with Christi here...It may be impossible, but we can still always HOPE

Platelets UP; LDH DOWN

 
At 17/8/06 5:19 AM, Blogger thonmom06 said...

Good morning Christi! Happy Thursday! Oh I can remember getting ready for school...packing up everything just so! You're bringing back memories. (now THAT was a LONG TIME AGO!!) Did you hand out the beaded keychains to the new girls last night? What a very thoughtful gesture, Christi. But that doesn't surprise me. Shayla, I'm losing count here... are you going to second grade this year? Will you be receiving your First Holy Communion this year? I know that some parishes receive in second grade and some in third. I was in third grade, but Michele and Meghan were in second. Our cousin Sara is here with us for a few days from Maryland. She starts school on 8/25 and is very excited for seventh grade to start. (7th grade? I thought it was just yesterday I was changing Sara's diaper!) And she just found out she's going to be having the teacher she's been hoping for! :)

I hope you girls have a most beautiful day! Sending hugs to both of you. love, sylvia xoxo

 
At 18/8/06 8:17 AM, Blogger nikki the red said...

Never underestimate the power of hope! Much love and hope coming your way: http://i7.tinypic.com/24xe8u1.jpg

 
At 19/8/06 1:20 AM, Blogger Candy said...

Thinking of you and wishing you all a blessed weekend. XOXO

 

Post a Comment

<< Home