Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Friday, August 18, 2006

It’s Official

It’s Official: This morning I snuggled with Christi on the couch and told her it was the last day we had together of summer vacation. She hopped off my lap, in her silky lavender PJs, raised one finger up in the air and said, “I declare it Official Snuggle Your Kids Day”. She explained that parents should scoop their kids up and snuggle them every time they think about it today. I told her I would! (And I have!) She’s such a little snuggle bug and Shayne and I absolutely love it! I made one of her favorite breakfasts: heart shaped waffles with strawberry and bananas on top, yummy!

It’s Official: As of 5:00 today I have completed 94 credit hours at Ohio State and my first quarter of residency for my Ph.D. program. Ahhh! It feels like a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders, even if only for three weeks until my second required quarter of residency (taking full time classes) begins. It was very intense and I’m happy Christi’s health allowed me to complete it. Christi’s battle with cancer has taught me many things- one of them being “Don’t put off chasing your dreams.” Another one is “Count your blessings.” I am incredibly grateful and will never be able to give enough thanks to all of our family and friends who so lovingly provided child care for Christi & Shayla this summer so that I could get to class and to study and to chase my dream. For fear of overlooking someone I won’t mention names, but I am deeply humbled by everyone’s assistance, love for and help with the girls throughout my endeavor. And a HUGE thank you to Shayne for his constant support (and funding) of my “hobby” as he calls it. I’m a lucky lady!

It’s Official: Eric & Alicia are on their way to our home (along with Allie & Ryder, their beautiful Golden Retrievers). Eric is going to take a look at my computer and see why I’ve not been able to upload pics to the blog. (My thanks to Eric for putting up all the pics for us for the past week.) Since I find great joy in little humor, I’ve prepared the exact same recipes that Alicia did for us two weeks ago up at their home since she so kindly gave me all her recipes. (I wonder if they’ll even notice! Christi and I think it’s going to be really funny! Well, there is that additional ingredient of oatmeal I accidentally I spilled into the Sloppy Joes instead of the blueberry cobbler, but that’s just a little bonus I guess!)

It’s Official: We heard back from Dr. Maris this afternoon, but since I do best living in denial I don’t think I’ll reflect upon the fact that he said we should be prepared to change course and that there’s only one clinical trial she’s currently eligible for but it requires the usual travel. He’s contacting MSKCC in NYC for us, but doesn’t believe they have anything for her either. He’s going to try to get her into that clinical trial slot IF one is available. Meanwhile, we’ll pray like crazy that this Fenretnide IS working and holding the cancer back until we really know come August 30th. We invite you to join us. It is a crucial time.

So instead of all that “doom and gloom” I’ll try to just reflect upon all the fun Christi had with her friend Eliana here at our home yesterday while her mom was busy getting her classroom ready. (Oh, it’s a nice feeling to have finished that up on Tuesday!) I can still hear their many giggles as they played games, role played, enjoyed crafts and ate my home made peanut butter cookies. Having Fun! Now that’s what a nine year old girl should be concerned about!

SATURDAY UPDATE: The wonderful "Webby" wasn't able to get my computer working either. No pics for a while while, sorry! Here's wishing you and yours a fabulous weekend! ENJOY!

5 Comments:

At 19/8/06 11:54 AM, Blogger thonmom06 said...

IT'S OFFICIAL!!! I will snuggle with Michele (Meghan is away this week - boohoo!) even though, she is 23 years old! : ) Never too old to snuggle with your mom, right? Thank you Christi for declaring this special day! Here comes a sunggle for you too.... xoxo (perhaps your mom can give that to you from me....and one for Shayla too!)

IT'S OFFICIAL!!! ...Angela, can you publish the delicious recipes?
We're having the Penn State vs Notre Dame Tailgate and Game party here at our home on 9/9...perhaps that Sloppy Joe recipe will come in handy! WE ARE...PENN STATE!!!!

IT'S OFFICIAL!!! Dr. Maris has no idea how many people include him and those working for him, and those he gets in touch with, in our prayers. Call it denial if you like, I think I like to address it better as FAITH, HOPE, AND, JUST NEVER GIVING UP until the last breath is taken. My prayer is for pain to be a stranger and for the miracle to present itself in God's time. BELIEVE!!!

IT'S OFFICIAL!!! Congrats to you Angela, and to all of those who support you in your dream.

IT'S OFFICIAL!!! ENJOY YOUR LAST DAY OF SUMMER VACATION!!!!!

love you much... sylvia xoxo

 
At 19/8/06 12:03 PM, Blogger brooke said...

Hi Thomas team! Yeah for snuggle your kids day! Since I don't have kids, I'll just snuggle my cats everytime I think about it today :) Also, Angela -- congrats on getting through your first quarter in residency for your Ph.D. program. I start my first semester as PhD student on the 28th of August, so I'm looking forward to being where you are at the end of December! Thank you for the inspiration. Lastly, as always, my continued prayers for the entire Thomas Team. You continually touch my heart, thank you.

-Brooke, who used to be in Eugene, Ore. who is now in Logan, UT.

 
At 19/8/06 8:03 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Sounds like a delightful weeekend to me. Hugs and snuggles and playing with friends, and enjoying Eric and Alica! :)

I'm so sorry to hear that Dr. Maris thinks you may need to change course. I'm going to pray extra hard that the Fertanitide is indeed doing something!!

CONGRATULATIONS ANGELA on finishing your hours and residency for you PHd! YOU ROCK!! You are sooo AWESOME!! My HERO!!

Lots of love forever and tons of prayers too,
Heather

 
At 21/8/06 12:06 AM, Blogger Candy said...

First of all...CONGRATULATIONS Angela!! You are one amazing, strong and dedicated woman. It's obvious that Christi inherited the perseverance gene from her mom:)

Secondly, Happy 1st Day of School to Christi and Shayla!! I hope you both have a super fun day with your teachers and friends.

Many (((hugs))) and prayers,
Candy Belanger XOXO

 
At 21/8/06 7:12 PM, Blogger thonmom06 said...

HAPPY FIRST WEEK OF SCHOOL!!! Kept thinking about you all day. Didn't know if just the teachers met today or if everyone started today. Victor is driving out to Penn State first thing in the morning with ALL of Meghan's STUFF! He keeps saying he remembers taking a beer box with one pair of jeans, a couple t-shirts, and five pair of undewear and socks! : ) That was a LONG time ago! hehehee!

Have a wonderful night. Can't wait to hear all about the first week of school!!! Sending lots of love and hugs your way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home