Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Trying to Nail Jello to a Tree

I've been avoiding writing about Christi's medical situation as the news hasn't been hopeful over the past week. When I told Dr. Maris I was worried he responded, "We're worried too," which only increased my fears. Her pain (neck, throat, head, upper left back) continues and has increased to the point where she's now actually asking for pain meds (which she hates taking so I know it's bothering her). Despite it all, she has a smile on her face and is thrilled about being back in school- nothing makes her happier. She continues to amaze us every day; we truly do not deserve this incredible young woman. I just wish I could give her that normal childhood she deserves. Each day we've been cuddling on the couch and I've found her just curled up in her bed resting sometimes too - not the Christi I know. It appears that taming this beast is a bit like trying to nail jello to a tree, it's just not going to happen.

The trial which Dr. Maris was trying to get her a slot for isn't available. He does have her in a slot for another trial (CEP) yet that, like Fenretnide, is not at all promising and we're not certain if we'd like to go that route or not. Dr. Maris has blessed us with 8 more months which gave Christi a great summer. We'll forever be grateful for all of that! He has been consulting with Dr. Kushner back at MSKCC. They have some treatment options back in NYC for Christi; however, nothing promising and variations of previously attempted (extremely painful) treatments. Regardless, with the increased pain we know she needs to get started on something as soon as possible. Next week can't get her soon enough!

When Shayne and Christi head out next week (I am "in the hole" in terms of sick days so I cannot go.) I'll have her suitcase packed in case it turns out to be a lengthy stay. I'm just sick about what the news will be when her scan results come in early Wednesday morning. My hope and prayer is that treatment options exist and that they are not "sent home". Until then, we'll continue to ask for God's love and strength and we'll continue to live in denial and pretend this isn't really happening. (Easier said than done, and sleeping has been nearly impossible the past week.) Grandpa's arrived in the Buckeye state and he'll be spending the night with us tomorrow; that's great news! Tomorrow we're going to "New Riegel for ribs" (Just had to put that in there for all who know about New Riegel!) We love Grandpa and we'll focus on that!

10 Comments:

At 23/8/06 10:04 PM, Blogger Jennifer Lehmann said...

I too am living in denial with this news. I'll be praying extra hard...(like I could pray ANY harder?!?) I too am grateful for these extra 8 months you have been given with Christi as I have been given them too and have grown to love that little girl even more. If you guys need anything at all, you know my number.

Love you.

 
At 23/8/06 10:37 PM, Blogger brooke said...

hi thomas team. i hope you don't mind yet another comment. i just wanted to tell you that i'll be praying for y'all, for next week, for a great weekend, and for a good nights sleep for all of you.

-brooke, in logan, utah.

 
At 24/8/06 1:35 AM, Blogger thonmom06 said...

Praying my rosary through the night. xoxo

 
At 24/8/06 6:29 AM, Blogger Love Being A Nonny said...

I can hardly read your entries without feeling your pain...pain for wanting your girl to just feel normal, just have a normal school life...nothing more...just normal. As always, I will pray for normal.

 
At 24/8/06 7:05 AM, Blogger HeatherB said...

I'm so, so sorry to hear that sweet Christi is having pain.

My heart is so sad with and for you.

Enjoy Grandpa and the ribs.


Loads of love tons of prayers,
Heather

 
At 24/8/06 9:08 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

Christi is always in our prayers!

Love Lisa www.edenadams.com

 
At 24/8/06 7:33 PM, Blogger nikki the red said...

sending love and hope with teary eyes over here. CONGRATULATIONS to shayla & christi & angela for a great first day of school!!!

 
At 24/8/06 7:45 PM, Blogger thonmom06 said...

I hope you are having a wonderful time with Grandpa!!! ...and enjoying those New Riegel ribs. Will have to google that one to read up on it! : ) I hope that today was a good day. love, sylvia

 
At 25/8/06 8:09 PM, Blogger Tine said...

Dear Thomas family,
My family and I are praying for your family's strength during this uncertain time. We are praying for Christi's health to improve. When my husband read about taking a day to snuggle, he thought that would do wonders to combat cancer - with love! I'm appreciative that you allow "us" online friends into your lives and give us the opportunity to send love and prayers to you and your beautiful child.

 
At 26/8/06 12:02 AM, Blogger Austin said...

Stay strong guys - so many people are behind you. We're riding for you every day!

Sending strength from our team to yours :)

~ Austin and Tom (Claire and Nick)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home