Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Sunday, September 10, 2006

"Funny" moments...

There aren’t many pleasant memories being made right now. It is mostly just tough stuff. Christi continues to be sweet and witty when she is awake. Earlier today we got her up to go the bathroom and through the hustle and commotion she/we ripped out the IV in her hand. We had blood dripping on the floor and a heavily sedated Christi slumped on the toilet. That was quite a lot of drama. Once we got the bleeding stopped we stood Christi up so Angela could wipe her real quick. When this happened Christi’s eyes opened wide and she said “Hey you sneak wiped me”. Cracked us up.

Another humorous moment occurred at radiation the other day. Since she can no longer really support her own weight we have begun physically moving her around. We were maneuvering her from the stretcher to the table. I was attempting to cradle her in my arms to slide her across the table so I said “Sweetie, put your hands around my neck so I can lift you.” So she put her hands on my neck and acted like she was choking me. Cracked up everyone in the room.


Shortly after midnight tonight we were giving her a bolus of morphine in order to control some breakthrough pain. As the pain subsided she drifted into a semi conscious almost sleep. She started talking to me about some strange things that I couldn’t really understand. When I answered, she sort of snapped out of it and said she was dreaming. Concerned about her mental well being I inquired about what she was dreaming. “Oh you know.. books, lots of books” she murmured. “You’re a lot like Belle with your books aren’t you?” was my comeback. She smiled and nodded. It was then that it dawned on me that this was a warped version of Beauty and the Beast. Where we instead watch the petals fall from the rose for Belle. Beast does not succumb to compassion, love or prayer, but, continues with its sinister behavior. The Disney version is better I think.


-Shayne

10 Comments:

At 10/9/06 9:20 AM, Blogger Cheryl and Angel Haley said...

Praying for you all.

Cheryl, Angel Haley's mom

caringbridge/ga/haley

 
At 10/9/06 10:03 AM, Blogger Kelly @ Mom's Workbench said...

Not even Disney could come up with a sweeter or stronger princess than Christi. And never has there been a better love story than that of your family.

We continue to pray for all of you.

 
At 10/9/06 11:34 AM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Dearest Angela, Shayne, Christi and Shayla,

I'm just getting back into town today and catching up on your "news". I'm so very sorry to hear that Christi has had seziures.

I'm praying continually for all of you.

With all of my love and prayers for always,

Heather

 
At 10/9/06 2:09 PM, Blogger Nelle said...

it's so amazing how christi copes with all this... and not only christi - the whole family! i'm praying for strength, peace and decrease of pain!
may the lord comfort you and help you make the right decisions.
all the best and kind regards from switzerland, nelleke

 
At 10/9/06 2:12 PM, Blogger Nelle said...

oh, christi just amazes me so much how she copes with everything she has to endure! and not only christi amazes me. it's the whole family that does!
i'm praying for strength, decrease in pain and comfort...
may god be with you all the time!
kind regards from switzerland, nelleke

 
At 10/9/06 2:29 PM, Blogger Brigid and Celie said...

Hi, Jesus, please hold Christi's hand and help her feel better. We all love her so much.

XOXOXO
Brigid and Celie

 
At 10/9/06 3:41 PM, Blogger  Kim said...

Hold tight to Jesus's hand, sweet Christi! Love and prayers still flowing from Seattle.
Love~~
Kim in Seattle
(Hank the Cowdog mom)

 
At 10/9/06 3:50 PM, Blogger Tracy Solomon said...

I have been praying so much today for Christi's comfort and your peace of mind with decisions you are all having to make, doctors too. I know how much Christi is loved and I know how difficult so many decisions must be. It makes me wonder how I would handle such things. I pray we never reach that part of the journey. I know that is selfish but I pray we don't face all of this you are going through. Please know we are surrounding you with prayers. Only God knows what you need at this time and that is my prayers. Love, Tracy and Katia

 
At 10/9/06 4:36 PM, Blogger KINTHEATL said...

God Bless. Karen

 
At 10/9/06 5:29 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Shayne and Angela,

I hope I got your names right.
You both have an amazing ability to express yourselves in words - which is clear by what you blog on a daily basis.

I also admire your strength and the fact that you aren't afraid to admit when you're not feeling so strong.

From what I've seen of both of you through this journal.. it doesn't not surprise me that Christy is such an amazing young girl.

Kate

 

Post a Comment

<< Home