Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Sunday, February 04, 2007

The Little Legend by Nikki Locker - 'Berg Student


Christi, a Heidelberg fan, wears her shirt (May 13, 2002 - age 5 years and 1 day old)

"The Little Legend"
Written and delivered by: Nikki Locker – Heidelberg College Education


First of all, I would like to thank Mrs. Grine, as well as Mr. and Mrs. Thomas for having me here today. It’s a tremendous honor to be here.

When I first heard that Christi had “earned her angel wings”, I was beside myself with grief. I could not do anything except sit and reflect for what seemed like ages. I could not believe what I had been told.

Later, my suitemate came into the room, one of the co-editors-in-chief of our college newspaper “The Kilikilik”. She asked me if I could write a memorial article about Christi in the next two days so I could make the current issue. After just being told the news, I had made a commitment to turn my feelings into words.

I hard a hard time falling asleep that night. I prayed for Christi and smiled, realizing that she was finally out of pain. Writing the article about Christi proved to be an amazing experience. I learned more about her life than I had ever known and I truly began to understand what an amazing child she was. After the article, Mrs. Grine asked me to speak for the “Celebration of Life”. As I sat down and began to write my speech, I started to think about the impact that Christi has had on my education….with the education department.

With every class I have taken with Mrs. Grine, Christi has somehow been a part of it. Even if it was just a little story about her, she became a part of every single early childhood class I took. When I heard that it was almost time for the lemonade stand, I was speechless. Finally, I was going to meet Christi…the little legend herself.

When I first saw Christi, I couldn’t believe my eyes. If I hadn’t known about her cancer, I never would have guessed. She never stopped smiling or laughing. She wanted to help with every little aspect of the lemonade stand and never grew tired of talking. We sat next to each other at the lemonade stand last year and she talked to me about everything…school, family, the lemonade stand.
The sparkle in her eyes reminded me so much of my grandfather, who passed away of lung cancer in 2000. The more time I spent with Christi, the more of him I saw in her…the eternal optimism and continuous smile. Nothing was every going to bring her down.

I learned more about life sitting and talking to Christi than some people will learn in a lifetime. What I could have given to have had that much drive for life at her age. Christi was so devoted to the cause of earning money for pediatric caner research. She never once thought of herself.

And this is why we are having a celebration of life…to celebrate what she did for the nation. As I impatiently wait to have a classroom of my very own, I keep thinking of ways I will make sure that Christi’s spirit lives on. As she became a part of my education, I want Christi to be a part of the lives that I educate….to tell stories about her, share “Alex and the Amazing Lemonade Stand’ book with my students, to have our own lemonade stands.

Christi’s spirit will always live on. Not only in my heart but in the hearts of everyone here and at Heidelberg College. Christi left something irreplaceable here that will never fade away. When life gave her lemons, she made lemonade…and when she gave us lemonade, she made the nation smile.

October 2004 (Trick or Treat fun in a Heidelberg dorm with Theresa.)
With a wonderful Seneca East grad and almost a Heidelberg Grad (Sara)

2 Comments:

At 4/2/07 9:38 AM, Blogger Kim said...

These tributes to Christi are just wonderful! I am so glad to know that Christi - the legend! - will live on. I know that the lessons she taught me, I will teach to my daughter. To never quit, never give up hope, never lose your smile or sense of humor - those lessons are Christi's legacy!

 
At 4/2/07 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, was reading your blog - very touched by the amazingness of your family, and Christi's story - was at mass this evening and they sang "Here I am Lord" - well, just to say I was thinking of you all,

An Irish friend

 

Post a Comment

<< Home