Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Monday, January 29, 2007

Miss America




Last week, while preparing for my Heidelberg class which included the importance of incorporating rhyme with early childhood children, I grabbed a few of our nursery rhyme books to also include and give examples of that information with my students. During that class, I picked up one to talk about it and when I opened the cover I was surprised. Inside it said, "To Baby Christi! Love, Mommy & Daddy (1997)" I also noted it was signed by the 1997 Miss America. Because I felt a bit "shaky" at that moment after seeing that inscription and because I think all of the students in this class know about Christi Thomas I paused a moment and then showed them the inside cover. (I read that book to Christi nearly every night for many months even though she was just a baby because I knew how important it was. (I also told them how Shayne would read into my tummy before the girls were even born so that they'd know his voice too.)

Miss America 1997 came to one of my old college (Bowling Green State Univeristy) to promote reading and to sign books so Shayne and I took off one fall Saturday for that event.
Of course I wanted Christi to grow up and be Miss America, or anything she desired to do. That didn't happen; yet I'm glad she was able to met (and be held) by a Miss America.
Little did we know that she'd soon meet another Miss America one day when on a six hour pass from CHOP.


Tonight a new Miss America will be crowned. We hope she's just a sweet at Jennifer Berry. While Christi was getting out on a "six hour pass" from the hospital during her first intense round of chemo last year at this time, we heard an announcement that the new Miss America would be outside of the hospital. Since we were on our way back to the Ronald House to go relax and play we decided we must stop and meet her. (We also knew she was a ballet dancer and Christi was very excited about just getting her pointe shoes at that same time. Our "Miss Americas" had some good things to talk about.) About a week later, we were very touched to receive an email from Miss American saying how much Christi touched her. After Christi's death, we were very surprised to receive a sympathy message from Miss America as well. We wish Jennifer Berry the very best as she looks to begin her career as an elementary school teacher. Her goal is to obtain a Masters Degree in teaching and I hope she selects Heidelberg College!!













MISS OHIO 2001:
Shayla, 2001, age 2 with Miss Ohio
Christi, age 4, had a "shy moment" upon meeting the piano playing Miss Ohio. She was at our local jewelry store (Jeffrey's) and we thought it'd be neat for the girls to meet Miss Ohio.

5 Comments:

At 29/1/07 3:14 PM, Blogger Sheila Ferrell said...

Dear Thomas Family,
I still pray for your family daily and I think of your own Miss America all the time. I hope that the many pictures that you have taken over the years give you a little bit of peace and bring a smile to your faces. Christi was truly a blessing to your family and so many others. I know you will never lose the ache of missing your beautiful angel but I pray that in time the wonderful memories and love you have created in each other will ease that pain just a little.
In His Name,
Sheila

 
At 29/1/07 6:37 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Wow I didn't know Christi had had two Miss America encounters in her life. Pretty amazing!

No wonder she touched Miss America, she touched everyone's life who had the honor and privelage of knowing her, either in person or through your incredible writing.

Know I love you and think of you all daily!

Sending my love, my prayers and my hugs,

I love you!

Heather

 
At 29/1/07 7:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thomas family,

Have been reading your journal for over a year and pray you never stop writing. The pictures are adorable and can't get over how cute Shayla looks in glasses. My hope is that you never stop sharing with us......your family is an inspiration to all. I feel so fortunate to have met Christi and Shayla....

 
At 29/1/07 8:33 PM, Blogger Nikking said...

I can only imagine how hard coming to Philly is for you...but, I hope the flight and the conference went well.

 
At 29/1/07 10:25 PM, Blogger Frapper said...

What lovely pictures you have of your girls and Miss America! I'm sure it was difficult for you opening the little book with it's inscription to "baby Christi"--I'm just so sorry you have to have those moments at all. How sweet it was that Miss America sent her condolences; I'm sure Christi made an impression on her as she did with everyone she met.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home