Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Saturday, February 03, 2007

Another Sweet Tribute to Christi by a 'Berg Student


“Christi Thomas- A Celebration of Life”
Written and delivered by: Nikki Locker


I was more than honored to be asked to speak in memory of Christi Thomas. When I sat down to think about what I wanted to say it was difficult. Unfortunately, I never got the chance to meet Christi personally. But I feel connected to her through reading her journals, seeing pictures, hearing many stories and seeing the great things she did to help others. She was truly an angel sent from heaven.

Although Christi was only with us for a short tie she showed so much strength, commitment, compassion, love, grace, honor and pride in everything she did. She was a powerful little girl with strong message. She would do whatever she could to help others and raise money for Pediatric Cancer Research. Christi made such an impact on so many people’s lives it is unbelievable. Her thoughts and the memories will be cherished forever.

Christi has taught me so many things to inspire me to make the best of life. No matter what she went through, she lived her life to the fullest and was involved in so much. She has made such a difference and the list goes on and on. Sometimes I wonder how she ever had so much time and energy to do the activities she loved doing. Becoming an early childhood educator, I want to make a difference in my students’ lives the way Christi has in all of ours. I want to help my students, care for them, and believe in them to research their goals and dreams. Christi did everything past the sky’s limit and she never gave up. I try to take each day by living it to the fullest and never “going down without a fight.” I feel this is very important to live by in any situation. So, make the most out of every situation and never give up!

We will never understand why God took such a sweet, innocent, little girl away from us. We wil share all the memories, smiles, love, compassion, friendship s and all the devotion that Christi had to make this world a better place. Christi will never be gone from our lives. She will live on through each one of us – one lemon at a time. You will always be in our hearts, Christi. I have this poem that I would like to share:

May you always have an angel by your side. Watching out for you in all the things you do. Reminding you to keep believing, finding ways for your wishes and dreams to take you to beautiful places. Giving you hope, strength, love, comfort and courage. Someone to catch you when you fall. Holding your hand through it all. Encouraging you to follow your dreams. They will form rainbows after every storm. Hopes and thoughts to keep you warm. Soon after each tear a sweet smile will form.



From Angela:

Imagine my surprise to see the name of one of these students on my student roster for the class I'm currently teaching. I can't help to smile at her in class with a special warmth in my heart. These college students are absolutely amazing. I told them last week how fortunate I felt they all were not just getting a high quality education - but so much more! I explained that I couldn't afford to go to a private institution for my education and how blessed I believe they all are to be at Heidelberg. The strong sense of support and community that exists is absolutely overwhelming. (The state-of-the-art technology and the education building are also incredible too.) This week some told me how a group of them went together to see a movie about a girl in a spelling bee and how much of what we're studying in class applied to the girl in the movie. The week before I learned how some went on a weekend ski trip together. They show such strong support for one another and they come from all over. I am so blessed to get to work with them!

Shayla has been keeping us busy this weekend! (Cleaning her room is never a small project - lol!) She wants to have a friend over so we told her she needed to clean her room first (smile). Later this afternoon we'll head out to two ball games. One to catch up with the Reams who are in town. (Their son, Mason, was diagnosed a few weeks before Christi and died a few months before Christi. Due to being on a flight with Christi back to Philly last spring, I was not able to attend their services so I'm anxious to hug Mason's parents and to spend a bit of time with them.) Additionally, we'll go to a Heidelberg game to watch Kelsey dance with her high school dance team. (One of my students is their coach!) The other day Shayla said, "Mom, isn't it neat that we know the girl who does the "Rider less Horse" at funerals?" I didn't even explain to her that that's typically not done and that our friend, Kelsey, did it for the very first time. Shayla keeps us laughing!

Last week she had to go home from school with an eye infection and I was so grateful to have a friend that was able to come and get her and keep her for me. When Shayne picked her up he told me how he was talking about the snow and the girls were telling him that they can do sledding on the playground now. Shayla added, "The UFOs so nice buying things for us." (She meant the PTO - Parent Teacher Organization.) Hee hee. With her birthday coming up next weekend, she's really getting excited! (Shayne has been letting her know of all of the new responsibilities she will be taking on now that she will be eight. hee hee)

Yesterday was a tough one at school. One day last week I got up the courage to go into Christi's classroom to ask her teacher for her school supplies. I won't say I didn't end up in tears, I did, but hey - I made it. Sweet Lori informed me that they were up in the Principal's office. So this week I knew I had to get them. Thankfully, another sweet teacher went and got them for me, put them in a brown grocery bag and walked them out to the back of my van. I brought the bag in our house, but haven't pulled out the materials yet. I know I'm going to be overwhelmed with sadness for all that should have happened in those school notebooks and with those pencils this year that didn't. I'll open them later. My best friend came up to school and brought me lunch. Even though it seemed like it was the the fastest 30 minutes of my life because we had so much more to talk about than time permitted, it was GREAT!! I am so blessed!

After school Shayla and I drove to a monument place to select Christi's plaque. I put on a brave face there, but then came home, sat on the couch and lost it. I know it has to be done, but oh it's hard!

On a better note, we do have exciting news and that we'll be sharing how some of the Christi Thomas Memorial Fund will be utilized. Most everything is now all set and Eric's working hard on a new website that will contain that information. Our goal is to have it ready to share by Monday morning.

3 Comments:

At 3/2/07 12:12 PM, Blogger Jennifer (Kids Cancer Crusade) said...

The last few posts have been so sweet. What an awesome extended family you have at Heidelberg.

Have a blast this weekend. I can't wait for Monday's blog so I can read all the exciting news about the memorial fund!

Love you!

 
At 3/2/07 9:28 PM, Blogger Olivia said...

Angela,

I can only imagine how difficult it must have been for you to pick up Christi's things from school. These things should *never* have to be done.

All of the many tributes to Christi that you have posted over the months are a clear indication of her reach. She was and remains such a marvel, a true miracle and so needed on this earth. She is all of these things because of her loving parents, her beautiful family. Thank you for sharing her with us. We're that much better because of it.

 
At 3/2/07 9:40 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Oh sweet Shayla- she's soo funny! I adore hearing about her. I'm glad she brings laughter and love to you.

I hope you enjoyed both of your ball games today. And that seeing Mason's parents brought you both some comfort by being in the presence of another Mom who truly understands what you are going through.

My heart is sad with what should have been this year in those notebooks too.

Know I love you all so very much!!

With love and prayers for always,
Heather

 

Post a Comment

<< Home