Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Friday, January 26, 2007

Red Cross Interview- Jan. 26, 2006

Christi came up to my classroom during my lunch break to have her interview with the sweet woman from the American Red Cross one year ago today. I can't put my finger on it right now, but I have the last (good) picture of the two of us which the reporter took for the report about the little "Pint Sized Hero".

when we came home from school that day she sat at the kitchen table doing her homework, while I sat down to pull up my email. When I saw her rubbing her head I said, "What's wrong?" She said something like, "This bump hurts." I of course was shocked then she told me that "Theresa found another one here today." Two days earlier we learned that her LDH had skyrocketed and then this news 48 hours later was confirming the fact that her disease was taking off and tumors were popping out of her head and soon causing horrific pain. We knew the antibody trial (hu.14.18) didn't work and we were slipping downhill fast. Our greatest fear was that she would die on her sister's rapidly approaching birthday - Feb. 12th. We Praise God that didn't happen and that we were blessed with eight more months with Christi! (I snapped this picture immediately after she told me about the "bumps" knowing she'd probably never have a normal day again - coming home from school, sitting down and happily doing her homework. I also noticed at that time that her eye really was starting to look funny. Shayne and I agreed to keep quiet and not report to Dr. Maris what was going on because we did not want her removed from the hu.14.18 trial. Less than 24 hours later we changed her mind as things were indeed getting worse!

Shayla and I are now off to the airport! She is so excited about going home with the Grants while I'm looking forward to my teachers' conference in Wilmington tonight! (PIC: June 2005 at the Grant's home)

4 Comments:

At 26/1/07 9:00 AM, Blogger HeatherB said...

I'm sure Shayla will have a deightful time with the Grant girls. And I know how you adore networking and meeting other teachers.

I hope the flight went well and that seeing Mr. Grant wasn't too horribly difficult.

With my love and prayers,

Heather

 
At 26/1/07 11:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have read your blog for a long time and continue to read it everyday. You are an amazing family, and you inspire me to go and make the most of life, and to treasure everyday with my two young sons. I cannot imagine how painful losing Christi has been for you all, but you still continue to shine through her. You gave her the most loving, amazing life!
I must say my heart breaks seeing the pictures of the girls together and knowing that Shayla must grow up without her big sister.
Bless you all, may God give you some peace through all of this

 
At 26/1/07 4:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just want to thank you for all of the updates. You are such an amazing person. Your family has forever changed me and I'm so grateful to have witnessed a family with such an upbeat attitude even in the worst of times. I pray that you and Shayla will have a blessed weekend.

Julie

 
At 26/1/07 6:22 PM, Blogger Kate said...

Hi again thomas family! Just wanted to let you know that I still enjoy reading your blog, and I am continually impressed and warmed by the love that you have for each other. Christi was an amazing kid and it must be so hard for you all without her. It's so great that you can share her story and your family's memories and ever-evolving adventures on this blog. I am very excited to hear about what the christi memorial fund will become...undoubtably something great will come of it! Take care all of you,
Kate in MN

 

Post a Comment

<< Home