Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Saturday, February 24, 2007

Shayluary Continues....

Last night we met up with the Cooks at the store “Team Active” in Battle Creek, Michigan. It is an amazing bike store! Their kind support last year allowed Eric to develop “Pedaling with a Purpose” which is where thanks to many generous and compassionate donors, he raised $12,000 for the Children’s Neuroblastoma Cancer Foundation. When I try to make sense of why Christi had to endure all she did – ultimately giving her life, I can only try to find some comfort in the good things that came about as a result of her journey. As a result of Eric’s insight and compassion, “Pedaling with a Purpose” was formed and it continues today with MANY wonderful organizing and charitable groups benefiting!

At the store last night, Mr. & Mrs. Cook did something entirely too generous. They bought Shayla a TREK bicycle and we are still shaking our heads at them. (Of course Eric’s only laughing at Shayne, “Just because her bike is nicer than yours!”) Shayla was ready to move up to a bike with 24 inch tires, but she had been afraid of them. After working with Eric, not only did she learn how to handle the bigger bike, but she was also able to understand how to use the hand-breaks (new to her) and a few other interesting things. The Cooks certainly spoiled Shayla.

They also took her to meet the owner and President of TREK Bicycle Company (Dick Burke) who was at the store last night for the their 14th annual End of Winter party! Amazing!

During our time at the store, I kept reflecting back to August – not so long ago, when Christi & Shayla were both able to ride the bikes around their amazing “test track”. I still can’t fathom how quickly she passed. It seems like she was JUST HERE and now I keep looking around for her. This week we didn’t have school on Wednesday due to the black ice and fog so I worked for hours organizing some of my treasured Christi’s possessions into the hope chest at the foot of our bed. I figured her things would be better kept in plastic tubs in the basement; however, I wanted it close by – just in case I wanted to get out some of her art work, or sweet funeral cards that were sent, etc. With many tears, I worked on the organization project. I just kept wiping the tears away thinking so this is all that’s left of her wonderful nine years of life? This is it? I know we have wonderful memories and photos, but it seems like such an amazing persons should encompass more than the contents of a hope chest.

Cemetery Funny:
While building the snowman at the cemetery, Shayla tossed a snowball at Shayla. Shayla turned around and Shayne said, “Christi, do that again and you’re grounded.” Well, he threw snow at Shayla and again and when she turned around Shayne replied, “That’s it, Christi. You’re grounded!” Shayla thought it was very funny!

Ash Wednesday Funny: Since we didn’t have school due to inclement weather, Shayla and I joined Shayne at St. Mary’s. It was the first time we had been back to that church since Christi’s funeral. I knew it’d be hard and thankfully, we sat in the very last pew. After getting our ashes Shayla and I took off for Toledo for her vision therapy and on our way home Shayne was working late so I asked her if she wanted to stop at Pizza Hut to try the new cheesy bites pizza we’ve seen advertised on TV. At the counter to place our order six young men were standing around. One said, “You have dirt or something on your forehead.” Another one added, “Looks like just a smudge of something.” I knew exactly what they were talking about, but I wanted to have some fun. I said to Shayla, “Shayla, I don’t think these boys were in church today or they’d know today is Ash Wednesday.” She picked up her bangs and told them, “See, I have ashes too.” We definitely had our fun as the embarrassed young men slowly slipped away.

6 Comments:

At 24/2/07 2:43 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

WOW Shayla I love your bike! The color is perfect for you! Purple is one of my favorite colors. :)

I hope you get lots of enjoyment out of the bike, as I'm sure you will. And funny thing you did to those young men in the pizza hut.

Angela- Oh how my heart hurts for you as you miss and long for your Christi. She was an amazing person, raised by the most amazing and loving parents anyone could ever wish for. She will live forever in my heart!

Lots of love and prayers to you,
Heather

 
At 24/2/07 9:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the Pizza funny! Eric and Alicia are so generous and I LOVE Shayla's new bike!!! It's sooo cool! Can't wait to see more photos of her riding it!!!!

Lots of LI love,
Erin

PS.. Angela, I thought of you during some grad coursework in Lit. because I'm working with a child who also receives vision therapy.

 
At 25/2/07 8:59 AM, Blogger thonmom06 said...

WOW Shayla! That is ONE COOL BIKE!!!! Look at that smile on your face! The Cooks surely are so very special, aren't they?

I have to say that the snowman you and dad made is so neat and I can just imagine Christi giggling like crazy watching you two!

I hope The Thomas Team has a Sunday blessed with smiles and comfort. love, sylvia

 
At 26/2/07 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your quote hit me "...it seems like such an amazing persons should encompass more than the contents of a hope chest." Christi emcompasses far more than the contents of a hope chest - she is everywhere around the world in the minds, hearts and souls of those of us who have followed her journey. What an amazing young lady. God Bless you all.

 
At 26/2/07 1:04 PM, Blogger nikki the red said...

what a beautiful bike, shayla!! purple is my favorite!

 
At 5/3/07 9:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, i read christi's whole webiste.. and i think shes soo brave to go through something like this and put up a great fight.. Rest In Peace Christi! also, i dont have that much money yet, but i will be sure to donate to Christi's fund..
xoxo <3

 

Post a Comment

<< Home