Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Happy Valentine's Day!

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!Picture: 2001 Christi (3 1/2) Shayla (just turned 2)

Here's wishing you a very happy Valentine's Day! It was one of Christi's favorite holidays! Shayla is thrilled that we are in the midst of a blizzard and there is no school again today. Due to 13 inches of snow and a level 3 snow emergency, Shayne's also home from work today and we're all happy about that. (I don't know how he would have made it out of the driveway or down our road anyway!)

Today will be spent in a much different way than last year's Valentine's Day was spent. Christi was terribly ill. She really wanted to go to school, but only made it from her bed into ours. I sent Shayla off to school with Christi's teacher and booked our flights to get to Philadelphia that night.

Because I knew Christi really wanted to go and pass out her valentines, and when/if she was feeling better I'd feel guilty if I didn't take her up to school I got her around and pushed her into the building in her big blue jogging stroller. Her class hadn't seen her for a long time and they were so happy and excited to see her. Many were touching her head because it was the first they saw her with her hair falling out. Those loving touches however caused Christi so much pain and filled her eyes with tears until Mrs. Smith was able to explain to the children that they couldn't touch Christi.

The beautiful Grine girls made Christi's valentine box for her and it won in the "pretty, but not too fancy" catagory.

We then drove home and Grandma Nee Nee met us and drove us to the airport where the amazing angel on earth named Tim picked us up on the other end and safely delivered us to CHOP all the while I questioned whether I should have taken Christi to her valentine's party or not. All night last night I just kept thinking how fortunate we are not to be in treatment right now. I don't know how we would ever have been able to get to the hospital with this unbelievable winter weather.

Yesterday I put Shayla's birthday height mark on the closet wall. (Every six months I would record the girls' heights on the wall. They loved checking the wall and putting up their new heights.) She is a wee bit taller than Christi was on her 8th birthday.

Today she is anxious to get out into the snow. Some of the drifts are higher than she is! (I'll be happy watching more Little House re-runs with her again today in the warmth of our home, but.....)
Earlier this week Shayne brought her in at the end of my Heidelberg class so that she would be the "real, live, second grade student" modeling some teaching and learning techniques for the students. She LOVED it and they were so sweet to her!

Feb. 14, 2004: Wishing the School Cafeteria Ladies she loved so much a Happy Valentine's Day. Little she ever know that they would one day all too soon lay flowers down on the ground as her casket rolled by.

4 Comments:

At 14/2/07 9:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never met Christi or your family but I feel like I know you all so well. I think about Christi every single day and talk to my two young daughters about her. My youngest daughters name is Holly Christine and even though I didn't know of Christi at the time Holly was born her middle name of Christine means so much more to me now knowing of Christi Thomas. My heart goes out to you each and every day as you deal with your new normal and know that even though I never knew Christi personally I feel so much love and loss for her as well. Take care.

A Loving Mother from Minnesota

 
At 14/2/07 10:15 AM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Happy Valentine's Day sweet Thomas family.

I hope you stay safe and snuggled inside the house today.

Tell Shayla to enjoy the snow.

I remember how much Christi wanted to make it to school to pass out her Valentine's last year.

I'm so sorry she's not in your arms nor your bed this year, but instead celebrating in Heaven.

Praying for God's peace for you always,

Lots of love,
Heather

 
At 14/2/07 12:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have fun in the snow! I am so jealous! We live in Ga. and hardly ever see more then a snow flurry! My 3 children pray for snow everynight, maybe one day we will get some! Have a Happy Valentine's Day, I'm sorry it has to be another "first" without Christi. Your family continues to be in our prayers.

Debbie

 
At 14/2/07 2:26 PM, Blogger Frapper said...

I'm sure you have so many bittersweet memories of Valentine's Days from years past; I'm only sorry that it has to be this way. I'm glad Shayla is so excited about the snow; now she can really christen her snowboard! I hope that she enjoys it--I fondly recall the days that snow brought me that much happiness!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home