Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Accidents

Some know I was invited to a cookout with OSU's President Dr. Gee last Saturday. He was coming to Tiffin; however, a couple days prior I received word the event was cancelled due to a family emergency. I just learned what happened. Life / Death - so young, so impressive, so tragic - once again reminding me.....Life is short, pursue your dreams and help others along the way. Take lots of pictures as you never know when you may last see your loved ones. My prayers are with Dr. Gee's family and I will express them in person in a couple of weeks as the Tiffin event has been rescheduled. Kids should not die before their parents! Here is the link: http://www.osu.edu/news/newsitem2069

Speaking of accidents, Shayla had her first fall from a horse last night. I've always told her she wasn't a real cowgirl until she fell off seven times. (I just wanted her to be prepared, to know it was going to happen and to get back on after it did.) I was at home studying, but Shayne saw it and said it was the perfect accident. (What?) He said, they had just plowed the ground in the arena so it was soft. She was bareback, so it was a nice gentle slide right off. She was wearing her helmet and was riding with a friend.

When I asked her what happened late last night she said with great enthusiasm, "Let me act it out! Skeeter saw a cow, got scared and then he went this way while I went that way," as she rolled to the kitchen floor! I asked her what her friend said and Shayla responded in a little voice, "Oh, Shayla! Are you ok?" Shayne gave her a "leg up" and she was back out riding under the lights of the arena having a great time with a little 4H buddy. She had another incredible week and I praise the good Lord for that! The volunteerism I witnessed was absolutely incredible! Seeing friends, students and meeting new people (some who stopped by to meet Skeeter because of the blog - wild!) was my highlight! One day Shayla told me, "It was nice of you to bring us girls to the fair for one day to see the animals when we were little. I liked it, but now it's a brand new experience. It's like I AM the fair!! And I get to go every day, not one." Oh, this one cracks me up! She nailed it right on the head! I always took the girls to the fair one day and we have great memories! I do not know why I don't have any pictures - until Christi's final year, but I still have the memories.....and obviously so does Shayla! Whew!

I think there may once again be a conflict (I hope). Things are going very well with my paper now (Finally!). I've spent the past 24 hours at home working like a crazy woman on my writing! Shayne took Shayla for her final day at the fair today while I stayed home to write. The animals will be released at 9PM tonight and I look for them to be back home about 11PM after they get Skeeter settled back in his barn. I'm very thankful I've made tremendous progress today, as tomorrow I start teaching my summer class at Heidelberg. There are 11 pursuing their Masters Degrees signed up. I'm excited as I LOVE working with teachers! They bring so much to the classroom! They're not the "sit and get" undergrads soaking up what I say, but the "Hey, I tried that, it didn't work; now what do I do?" type. I love it! I am so blessed! Here's wishing you and yours a fabulous week!

7 Comments:

At 27/7/08 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a lovely graceful fall, Shayla! The first time I ever fell off, I hit my head on the mounting block and passed out. The second time, I got my foot stuck in the stirrup and was dragged across the ring before someone caught hold of the horse. The two most recent times (by this time I have fallen off more times then I can count) the horse decided she didn't want me riding her and just started kicking around like a crazy horse till I went over her head. She did this TWICE! So yeah, Angela, I would say wee Shayla had the perfect accident- especially since thank god she wasn't hurt, which is more then I can say! Way to go for getting back on, Shayla! That's the best part!

 
At 28/7/08 1:35 AM, Blogger TexasHoldemTips said...

This reminded me of a scene from Batman.

Alfred: Why do we fall, sir?
Bruce: To learn to pick ourselves back up.

Nice job preparing Shayla for many of the falls that she will have throughout her life.

 
At 28/7/08 2:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angela you are so right , Children should not die before there parents . One of my dear friends lost her child to Neuroblastoma when she was 3 and it's coming up to the 1 year anniversary of her Death , It breaks my heart whenever she speaks of little Mia because you can see the sadness fill up in her eyes , I simply cannot imagine what it is like to lose a child , and how you cope with that huge loss , I guess you just have to HANG ON IN THERE somehow ! I am so sorry for DR.GEE's loss , truly I am !
On a brighter note ! Shayla looks like she had a wonderful day , even if she did fall of but she recovered well ! Keep going at your papers Angela you'll get there in the end !!

Amber -x-

 
At 28/7/08 6:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My condolences to the Moore/Gee families. What a sad tragedy Allan's too-soon death is. He accomplished so much in his short lifetime though, very impressive indeed!
So very sad...

 
At 28/7/08 3:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angela, I wanted to mention a website I thought you might be interested in. There is a wonderful family that lost their son, Zachary, to a blood disorder. They began making memory chests after they made one for him. They make them for families who have lost a child and they do it at no charge to the family, they just take donations. I thought you might be interested in having a memory chest for Christi. You can visit the site at www.zacsmemorychests.com

Wendy Landers
Georgia

 
At 28/7/08 6:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angela, I always learn from your blog and it reminds me something important...life, people, love. I always think of you!

Love,
Miyuki

 
At 29/7/08 2:17 PM, Blogger Olivia said...

My heart goes out to that family.

Shayla, you are such a champion. I am so impressed that you got right back up after falling, though, your dedication does not surprise me!

I love all of the pictures you have been sharing. It certianly looks like you were the fair, Shayla!

Hugs,
Olivia

 

Post a Comment

<< Home