Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Shayla to the Rescue

She's done it again; she's saved us! Thank God for Shayla. We really don't deserve her!

A few weeks ago, Shayla brought home a paper from school about the Heritage Festival Royalty Pageant and she asked if she could enter. I said, “Sure, if you want to.” (And I thought to myself, “She can get another use out of her Jr. Bridesmaid’s dress from Tiffany’s wedding. Yahoo!")

Just as the bile has been rising in my stomach every time I hear or realize September 19th is such a short time away, Shayla has given us a wonderful distraction. I’d been dreading September 19th; now we actually have something to look forward to this year on September 19th - Shay Shay will be in her first parade. Thank God for Shay Shay! She’s amazing to us. It's like she's once again come to our rescue!

It was incredibly nice to have so many family and friends there with us, cheering for Shayla. We are blessed!

And thanks to my beautiful friend, Jill, I actually have pictures to share! Can you believe me - the Kodak Mom - left her camera card at home - yikes! Jill had me covered, whew!

Shay was quite nervous at practice on Tuesday evening, and I didn’t think she’d do very well; however, all that seemed to just melt away last night as she competed. Last night it looked like she was really enjoying it all. When I finished reading to her before bed on Tuesday she said, "I didn't know entering this was going to be so much about modeling. I thought I'd be interviewing with the judges; I like talking with people. I don't like modeling." By Wednesday night, she was feeling much better.

The MC read: Shayla is in the 5th grade and her favorite color is sky blue. When she grows up she wants to be an actress with a side job as a writer. Her favorite food is sushi and she has two cats – Buttercup & Buckeye.

Shayla’s “speech” Hi! I’m Shayla Thomas and I’m really looking forward to the Heritage Festival this weekend; it’s one of my favorite events of the year. I also enjoy being busy. After school I’m a dancer, a horseback rider and an ice skater. I’ve never been in a pageant before and so far I’ve learned a lot. Thank you!

So thanks to God blessing Shayla, September 19th 2009 will be much better than September 19, 2006 – the day our precious Christi was called Home. September 19, 2009 will be the first time Shayla’s ever been in a parade. They told her she’ll be “riding in style” in a car. She’s looking forward to the weekend and she realizes she has a lot of thank you notes to write for all of the “goodies” she received last night. When they told the girls last night they needed to go to at least three festivals to represent and prmote our Heritage Festival, she thought that sounded like fun.

15 Comments:

At 17/9/09 8:18 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Congratulations Shayla!

You look gorgeous sweetie- enjoy the parade this weekend.

Angela and Shayne- I have been thinking of you both all week long. I pray that God will be with you and give you strength this weekend. I will always remember your Christi- she has her Christi place in my heart and in my mind.

Love and prayers to you all,
Heather

 
At 17/9/09 8:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woohoo!! Way to go Shayla!! You sure make a beautiful Heritage Princess!

I wish I could be there on Saturday to see you in the Parade, I'll bet it'll be lots of fun!

Be thinking of you on Saturday, as always.

 
At 17/9/09 10:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shayla! Way to go girl.. You look absoultly amazing in your pagent pictures, you really should start modeling as a hobbie, you would beat them all!=) Angela, Im sure your proud of your daughter and you truly have something to be proud of and now on the 19th you wont be so down and Im positive this is just the way Sweet Christi would want you to spend that day!! God Bless you and your family..

 
At 18/9/09 2:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not speak English and have translated this text as well if not express what chiropractors say.
Shayla is truly beautiful, confident that his sister Christi is spying from the sky and is very proud.
Have lots a good weekend, your angel would like insurance.
A greeting from Spain

 
At 18/9/09 8:13 AM, Blogger Team Russi said...

Shayla is a true beauty and a blessing to your family. Our thoughts will be with you on a difficult weekend.

Jenny

 
At 18/9/09 8:13 AM, Blogger Olivia said...

Shayla, you are amazing and so very beautiful-- inside and out!

Love,
Olivia

 
At 18/9/09 9:25 AM, Blogger Leah said...

What beautiful pictures. :-D That really is a great junior bridesmaid dress and how wonderful that she got to wear it again.

 
At 18/9/09 1:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a blessing SHayla is! And, how awesome is our God that just when you need a diversion, He provides one through your daughters activities! Enjoy the day and I just know Christi will be smiling down at her "baby" sis, and feeling so proud of all she is accomplishing and how she makes you & Shane so happy & proud. Sending you lots of cyber hugs this weekend Angela!

 
At 18/9/09 2:37 PM, Blogger Robin said...

Beautiful pics. Shayla is growing into a beautiful young lady. Thinking of you and remembering Christi.

 
At 18/9/09 2:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shay-shay...you look so beautiful, and grown-up I might add. Such a lovely young lady and you bring so much joy to all around you. God Bless the Thomas Family. Thinking of you, this weekend, and always.

Amy Brown
Gleason WI

 
At 18/9/09 3:55 PM, Blogger Mum2twopreciousgifts said...

It's 6am in Australia on the morning of 19 September.

Thinking of all of the Thomas Team today and thanking God for the life, albeit way too short, of Christi.

 
At 18/9/09 4:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay for Shayla~

She looks beautiful and so confident. Keep up the good work and all of your new adventures.

 
At 18/9/09 11:22 PM, Anonymous Christy Newman said...

I have followed your blog for years, but rarely comment. However, I wanted to let you know I really enjoy getting a glimpse into your lives. We, too, lost a daughter to the awful beast. Our amazing Chloe passed away June 12, 2008, at the age of 7. We have another daughter, Hayley, who has also been our saving grace. I honestly don't know what we'd do if Chloe had been an only child. Having Hayley gives us a reason to get up each day. She doesn't keep us quite as busy as Shayla keeps you. :) I wish we could get her more involved in some extra curricular acitivities. Thanks for sharing your lives with us. And Angela, you truly are an inspriation..I know Christi would be so proud of you for completing our education....very admirable!!
best wishes to you all always,
Christy (from New Albany, IN, www.caringbridge.org/visit/chloenewman)

 
At 19/9/09 10:55 AM, Blogger Amy K said...

Shayla, you are such a beautiful, talented young lady. Congratulations to all of you on your pageant and parade.
God Bless you all....

 
At 19/9/09 12:31 PM, Blogger Teresa Dunkin said...

Shayla, you look so beautiful! What a special young lady you have become!

Angela and Shayne, my prayers are with you at this difficult time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home