Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Tuesday, September 01, 2009

A Little Update

Grandpa came up to visit for a couple of days. It's always great to see him. One day after school he taught Shayla how to can pickles. She loved it (and did a great job). Yum!

Shayla is thoroughly enjoying her new school. Thank God! She continues to say that it's great. Whew! I'm settling into my new job very well and loving my teaching and my new schedule. When Shayla called home for a forgotten book I was able to quickly run it up to her. I've been able to have lunch with Shayne's cousin and also have mom and Joe over for lunch. I'm continuing to prepare for my dissertation defense coming up soon. This is the first time in four years that I haven't worked two jobs and been a student - just one full time job now; I'm loving it!

Christi looked forward to starting fifth grade because she would get to start playing a band instrument. She never got that chance, but we now have an instrument in our home. Shayla started playing the flute. It's been fun.....so far. (She keeps telling me, "Mom, you said any instrument except for the drums, but I think this would be just annoying. Toot, toot, toot" (Can you find Buckeye - Christi's Siamese cat)



(PIC: On the campus of BGSU) Shayla hadn't seen my completed office so we took a little trip up to BGSU. She jokingly says you need to wear sunglasses because all of the orange is so bright (smile), but she really liked it. I'm so happy that she continues to say that her new school school is great and she really likes her teacher. I worried all summer so I'm so relieved. My students want her to come in and be a guest speaker one day. (I've been sharing video clips of her discussing her spelling errors, doing cold reads, etc. so that they can hear 5th grade examples. One student even made her cupcakes. Too sweet!) Praise be to God this is all working out so well!
We recently spent some time at Sauder Village in Archbold. We had a fabulous day and learned so much!
If you're looking for a great way to spend a fall day, consider taking the family there. (Children are free on Sundays. They also give discounts for AAA if you happen to be a member of that.)

6 Comments:

At 1/9/09 3:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,I have a question I hope you don't mind answering.You posted maybe over a year ago that you bought Shayla a pair of glasses from Zenni Optical.I just ordered a pair for my daughter today and then thought I should have asked if you liked them or not.So its a little late...but.. Do you like them? My daughter had eye cancer years ago and glasses are very very important. If you don't mind sending me an email and letting me know it would be very helpful..Thanks please don't post this (he-he) Blessings,Jennifer
askjen152@yahoo.com

 
At 1/9/09 5:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shayla looks so much older since beginning the 5th grade! Seriously, she just looks at LEAST like a middle schooler!!!
I'm so glad she loves her school and so happy to hear your job is going so well. YAY!

 
At 2/9/09 7:18 AM, Blogger Leah said...

Your family always does such fun things. Glad Shayla is enjoying her new school. :-D

 
At 2/9/09 12:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So pleased Shay has settled in - that's great. Hope you are enjoying your job too. I was thinking of you today as I just submitted my PhD!

I'm sure September is a hard month, best wishes,

Irene

 
At 2/9/09 8:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope Shayla has fun with the flute...I played flute in school for a few years as well as trumpet, but I loved the trumpet more :)

 
At 4/9/09 1:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a few more days until the big triathlon! I hope that Shayne and Webby are beginning their taper.

We know what time of year it is, and our prayers are sent to lift up Christi's entire family, and all of her cherished friends. None of us will ever forget that September, three years ago. I vividly remember the constant pain in my chest and my stomach, as I fiercely held to the slimmest of hopes that Christi would turn the corner and that Dr. Maris would pull another few months out of his magician/physician's hat. Nothing prepared us, any of us, for the blog entry on the 19th: "Heaven's Newest Angel". I couldn't believe it, just couldn't accept it.

Shayne's prayer, "Lord if you are indeed a merciful god, then take her tonight".... and the love it represented flowed through us, as did the determination to remember not the anguish of Chrisit's passing, but the spirit of the 9 years of her life. Her quest and love of knowledge, her absolutely amazing memory, and her love of a good pun and joke... that voracious appetite for literature, and that distaste for macaroni salad, oh how all the details you shared with the world on this blog and the journal that preceded it, remain cherished memories for everyone who considers themselves an extended member of the Thomas Team.

Thank you for your daughter's life and legacy as you face another September...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home