Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Fear the Bird

As of yesterday, I am an official faculty member at BGSU. A couple of days ago when I was packing up a few more things for my office, I was humming the BGSU fight song. I jokingly shouted to Shayla, "Fear the Falcon." She reminded me so much of Christi as she said, "Mom, it's a bird. That is not a scary mascot at all. A tiger, a lion, yes. A bird, no." She cracked me up! Regardless, I could not be any happier! Later that night she came to me and said, "Well, I guess a bird is better than a buckeye; I mean how scary is a nut and a candy - something you can eat."


As soon as I arrived at "work" (Ahhhhh) yesterday, (Shayla's "half" birthday) my secretary greeted me with my BGSU name badge. I raved about it, took it out of the package, put it on and raved some more. She laughed and shook her head at me. I said, "No, you really don't understand. I'm so glad to be here! I love this badge! I love it so much I'll probably wear it on my pajamas tonight." She laughed harder and I took off my flip flops, put on my heels, patted my badge, gave her a salute and headed out to give my dissertation to the Dean.

The Dean was very pleased that I really did finish my dissertation and she told me she would read it (Yikes! Keep in mind she's the dean of one of the largest teacher preparation programs in the USA, the largest in the state of Ohio. I figured she'd be too busy, but she even remembered my topic. I couldn't believe it.) I loved getting to meet the other new faculty members yesterday (about 50) and learning so much about the institution and its 20,000 students. Now I'm off for another day of being "oriented" - hee hee! I'm so blessed! It's weird as I realize I am only there because Christi was diagnosed with cancer. I never would have had the courage to start a doc program had she not struggled with her life. I'd give anything to go back to Seneca East, IF I could just have her back in my life. I miss her sooooo much! She was so special - and so funny! I hope you have a FABULOUS weekend! Enjoy!

3 Comments:

At 13/8/09 9:29 AM, Blogger IS Teacher said...

Angela-
My heart is absolutely soaring for you!!!!

(And in all honesty-Shayla is right about Brutus!-LOL)

Kim

 
At 13/8/09 10:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angela!

I am so happy for you! I am just picturing your secretary being so happy to have someone enthusiastically report to work!

Good Luck to you in your new position, you are going to do a wonderful job with the students.

I love reading your blog, you inspire me every day!

Jenni in Ohio

 
At 13/8/09 9:51 PM, Blogger D Griffin said...

SOOOO happy for you! Long time reader, seldom commentor - just wanted to let you know how much your family means to us! Seems like we miss each other @ Kings Island by days each year - but I am always on the lookout in case I spot the Thomas bunch! My kids would want Shayla's autograph! I know Christi is smiling today!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home