Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Despite the volcanic ash cloud slowing us down and misplacing our luggage for a few hours, our group of BGSU professors and education majors safely arrived in Italy on Monday. We spent all of today touring schools and learning from teachers and professors. Tomorrow will be much of the same, but we will be travleling into Milan. I'm praying it's the perfect diversion from the fact that tomorrow would have been Christi's 13th birthday, a day I have been dreading for a very long time.



This is a picture of my little room at the convent I am staying at in Italy. Check out the "orb" right over the bed. On the eve of Christi's 13th birthday, I just noticed it in this pic - wild!



My "little" pizza I ordered at lunch - delicious!

I've found I am missing Shayne and Shayla terribly (not that being in Italy with my boss is bad - it's great, but.......). I miss Shayne when walking around this lovely Europeon city and Shayla especially today in the schools. When I asked a group of children, who were so anxious to try to talk English with me, how old they were and they said, "11" I had to choke back tears telling them I had an 11 year old daughter in America. My boss suggested I take her too (and quite frankly we considered it) but then decided not to bring her. Now I'm wishing they were both here with me. She would have love trying to talk with the students today.




The group from BGSU - dinner (We decided it was a wee bit better than the dining halls on campus, wink.)


I sent Shayla an email telling her tomorrow (Wednesday) would have been Christi's 13th birthday. One time we didn't tell her because we didn't want to upset her and she was upset we didn't tell her. I also told her that she was the perfect sibling to Christi and that she made Christi feel so good. (She did!) Shayla emailed me back and told me thanks for telling her about her big sis's birthday.

at the Preschool with our awesome translator - Bernice



the playground at the elementary school we tourned today

I really enjoyed the walking tour in Brescia late this afternoon.

6 Comments:

At 12/5/10 12:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is 12may here so happy birthday Christi. :D

Angela, it looks so lovely where you are :)

 
At 12/5/10 4:21 AM, Blogger Amy K said...

What a fabulous opportunity it looks like. Enjoy your time away, even though it's difficult missing Shayne & Shayla.
Many extra thoughts and prayers on this very difficult day...

Blessings and hugs from cyber-friends from WI.

 
At 12/5/10 6:19 AM, Blogger Anita said...

Oh,

I wish you have great days in Europe. Italy is absolutely awsome! I travelled to USA last january. I never had been there. Love your country: Chicago, Oklahoma, Texas, Vegas and California. Next time i'll try to go to Ohio...

:)

Best wishes for you and your lovely family from Spain! (it's wonderful to see how Shayla became a little beatiful lady day by day).

Anita

 
At 12/5/10 6:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Christi.

Shayne and Angela - I know every day is hard for you without your darling. I pray that you will be able to take Christi's strength forward into your personal and family lives.

Best wishes,

Irene

 
At 12/5/10 7:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're having an awesome time, Angela!

Happy Birthday sweet Christi!

 
At 12/5/10 8:53 AM, Blogger snekcip said...

I have Christi's birthday marked on my calendar since I have followed her journey. Happy 13th Birthday Sweet Christi!


PS Glad to see you arrived safely in Italy! Enjoying the virtual trip immensely!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home