Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Little Update

After some wonderful breaks meeting friends to walk or to have breakfast in recent days, I've been kindly reminded I haven't updated for a while. All is well! (OK, I'm stressed, but it's all truly fine. I love what I'm doing; I just feel like I don't have enough time to get it all done! I spent 13 hours on campus yesterday and still didn't finish with my work - yikes! And seriously, I just want to curl up with two new books I got at the library yesterday, but....) So to take a break from my work (preparing for classes, some upcoming workshops, some writing, some grading, etc.), I'm going to post some great shots my mom took on Friday because that was a blast. We spent the day on South Bass Island at Put-in-Bay. It was a gorgeous day, very relaxing and wonderful. I'm so lucky to have mom and dad in my life!

Shayne's humor: As we were leaving the island, I texted Shayne we were heading back to Port Clinton. He said, "OK. The guys and I were wondering how long one could stay on the island without stepping into a bar," (knowing the three of us don't drink alcohol). I texted back, "4 1/2 hours!" He said, "I'll let them know. We couldn't imagine."

Angela's humor: It's hard to believe but my new little car has 10,000 miles on it so I took it in for the check up. When it was ready I said, "Now I have two questions. I've not been able to figure out how to get the back windshield wiper to work. I've looked and looked in the book, but I can't find it anywhere." (Now I wish I wouldn't have asked the question in front of THREE gentlemen, but I did.) They all three started chuckling at me and one said, "You don't have a back windsheild wiper." So I didn't miss a beat I said, "OK, that must be why it's not in the book. Next question...how do I use the phone via voice dialing commands?" (They had to show me that one! Whew!!)

ONE MORE OF ANGELA's STUPID MISTAKES: I always like to go to my classroom at least a half hour in advance. It allows me time to set the classroom tables/chairs up the way I want them and also to get the technology up and working. I loaded up my cart in my office. (I tend to take a small ton of things to every class I teach.) Got in the elevator, pushed the cart down the hall to the classsroom and then as I approached the door I could see my boss was still teaching in there. I couldn't believe she ran over, but it appeared she did. As time ticked on, I was getting nervous that I only had 15 minutes to set up. I think it's important to greet my students at the door and to make small talk with them, but I can't do that until I have everything all ready to go. Finally, I couldn't stand it any longer, I opened the door, started pushing my cart in and said, "Do you mind if I just start getting the techonolgoy set up?" She looked at me in an odd way and then said, "Well, if you really need to, but you don't teach for another 45 minutes. I'll be done in 15." Oh, yikes! I had the wrong class time.

VERY COOL IN MY LITTLE WORLD: I had a really sweet thing happen on Monday - the first day of school at BGSU. As I was leaving campus, I saw a "Seneca East" tee shirt and recognized the student as one of my former students. I beeped and waved. I sent an email: "You made my day! On your first day of school, I got to see you as your kindergarten teacher. On your first day of junior high, I got to see you as your seventh grade teacher and on your first day of college, I got to see you! I don't know if you recognized me or not, but you waved. I was the crazy lady in the white car, eating a chicken sandwich with one hand and beeping at you with the other." I received a very kind email back! Sweet! Yesterday I ran into another SE 2010 grad too who is also doing very well and so far loving BGSU. How lucky I am!

Shayla continues to love middle school, everything about it actually. We've learned she's first chair flute which I found quite odd since she took her flute to school and I've never seen or heard it since. (Don't think we'll be keeping that first chair position very long that way, cough.)

(PIC: A blast from the past! 1972 to be exact. Our family vacation to Pennsylvania. I wish I remembered it, but I don't. We've had a lot of fun with these pictures mom scanned. THANKS, Mom!)

(I know I've posted this picture before: Christi's first day of 3rd grade, but at this time of year it's hard not to go back and review how much the girls have grown - and to realize how much I miss Christi and how hard September can be. After bawling my eyes out with a student after class yesterday, who lost her mom to cancer when she was only 9 years old, I've vowed I'm going to be just fine this September (but maybe I really won't be just so fine after all, but I will try very hard to be just fine).

4 Comments:

At 31/8/10 6:26 PM, Blogger Anna said...

Is that Tina on the left in that family picture? Because I see soooo much of a resemblance between her and a younger Shayla!
While we're on the subject - how is it possible that Shayla is already in middle school? Seriously, that girl is growing like a weed.

I am very sure you will do just fine this year - but will never stop missing Christi (as will we all). How wonderful to see pictures of her where she was so happy :)

 
At 31/8/10 7:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angela, let the tears come when they need to -- you are entitled to them. Of course this time of year would be difficult, then again it's likely all difficult no matter the time of year there's always something, bless your heart. Christi will always be remembered, and sometimes with smiles and laughter and sometimes with tears.
I had a chuckle over your asking about the back windshield wiper! Too funny, but that is certainly something I would do too so I totally understand!
So glad that Shayla is loving middle school!

 
At 31/8/10 9:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angela!

We keep missing you at PIB. We got there about 2am on Saturday! Miss you guys!

Love,
Chris in Brighton

P.S. If the weather allows, we'll be back there for Labor Day weekend if you guys are going to be around...

 
At 7/9/10 3:56 PM, Blogger Sammie Ryan said...

Thinking of you all Thomas Team.
I love all these pictures.

Take care all of you.

With much love.

Sam (ireland)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home