Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Sunday, November 07, 2010

Little Update

No worries, all is fine here! We are blessed!

Shayla's school won the first round of state football playoffs so that has been very exciting. Go, Tiffin!

We visited the cemetery yesterday and Shayla gave me a very hard time (as she should have) about not having a grave marker down yet for Christi. I told her I'd order it by Christmas. (Oh, God help me get it selected.)

Shayla enjoyed a birthday party this weekend while Shayne and I went out for a quiet dinner.

I spent part of last week in Baltimore where I presented with two Ohio State Professors a literacy session at the National Middle School Association's annual conference. Our session went very, very well - standing room only with over 100 in attendance. It was so nice to also have BGSU colleagues and about six of my students at the conference too. I picked up many wonderful ideas! My highlight though was spending an entire evening with a former high school classmate I don't get to see enough. He took me to an incredibly swanky, classy and chic place for dinner. It was absolutely amazing and we talked and talked and talked and talked! Any SE classmates who may be reading this - Kip is doing great and he will be coming home for our 25th class reunion this summer (can't wait).


This weekend we went to see a horse that just happens to be for sale. I loved the name "Slick Assets" (registered name) "Romy" for the name-name. Shayla loved the horse. (Imagine that!) Shayne is having someone else, who actually knows about horses take a look at it for us. Hmmmmmmm. We'll see what this all means. I continue to say we have Christi's two pets - no more pets! Two is plenty. This one though would at least be housed elsewhere (Or should I say barned?). I guess "boarded" would be correct.

Got new boots for the little one (Thanks, Grandpa) and new ice skates, specially molded to fit her feet, as skating lessons start back up this week. Grades were great: all As and a B+ in Honor's Math. When we asked her teacher about the class and how she was doing he told us that only the top 8% of all of the kids in her class (over 200) are in that highest level math class. (There are two advanced levels) so we thought that was great. Regardless, Shayla was still disappointed with the B.

I've often heard that when you see your name in your very first publication, there's nothing like it. You will always remember where you were and who was with you. Well, I'll never forget!

The book my former OSU professors asked me to write a class vignette in arrived. I was standing in the kitchen with Shayne and I tore the box open as soon as I realized what it contained. I found the page, skimmed it and told Shayne. He didn't stop but said, "That's really nice, honey." That was three weeks ago and he still hasn't read it, but my sister really did it up right.


She stopped everything. Sat down and read it right in front of me. Aren't sisters grand?! (Or maybe it's just a girl thing?!) I don't know, but regardless, I'm happy! And next time I will write the whole book and ask my former professors to just write a little piece in my book (he he heheee!) Oh, I can always dream!



Our weekend highlight was our Book Discussion held yesterday at a coffee shop in town. Last Saturday, on our way to BG, Shayla asked for a really good book to read, one that she could do a book chat on for her Advanced English class. I immediately responded, "The Hunger Games" - it's all the rage with middle school students (and adults too). It's really a different concept and not your preferred genre, but I think you could give it a try." I told her a little about the book and that I wanted to read it too. She agreed so we stopped and bought the book. One chapter in to the book and I knew Shayne would enjoy it too so he also started reading it. The next thing we know we are all hooked, but there is a big problem - one book, three readers. Thankfully, Shayne took the 2-4 am shift. Shayla took it with her to school so she could read between classes and while waiting for things. We only wished our sweet friend Olivia would be reading it with us and we joked about it all week. (However, we weren't going to invite her to our book club because we knew she'd finish it and the two sequels too before we finished the first one - hee hee!)
Over 300 pages, we all finished in seven days. Shayla asked if we could go someplace really special to discuss the book together since we had never done anything like this before so we did. What fun! Shayla claims it was the best book she's ever read. I found the concept to be a bit gruesome, but very thought provoking. Definitely not the best book I've ever read, but near the top of my list.

Here's wishing you and yours a fabulous week!

8 Comments:

At 7/11/10 3:41 PM, Blogger Emmers said...

Loved the hunger games - the middle one is good, the third one is ok - the ending is a bit contrived - but its tied together nicely at the end which is much better.

Have you guys read "The Book Thief"? its pretty heavy, but very well written.

 
At 7/11/10 3:48 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I loved The Hunger Games series! They are amazing books. I've read all three.

 
At 8/11/10 8:37 AM, Blogger Olivia said...

Angela!!!! Your text totally made my day and now I have to, have to, have to go to the library to get that book. I can't wait to start reading it!

Loved seeing your name in print!! That is just awesome!!

I miss you all.

Loads of love,
Olivia

 
At 8/11/10 8:49 AM, Anonymous Amy said...

my kids both LOVED the Hunger Games. We also enjoy the Maxiumum Ride series! Congrats on your vingette!!!

 
At 8/11/10 4:33 PM, Anonymous Karen Western, Tampa said...

I read it; thanks for posting! It sounds like a great unit.

 
At 9/11/10 8:37 AM, Anonymous Simone said...

My seventh grade brother likes the hunger games too :) Glad you guys are doing well.

 
At 12/11/10 12:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Thomas Family,

Sorry I haven't replied to any posts for awhile. Our niece lived with me for 9 months while her mom ( my husband's sister) was in training for the Navy Reserves. My husband was also away in Reserves training for the first 3 and a half months. it was quite busy having an 8 year old 24-7 again. Very different aftr having an empty nest since my daughter went to college in 1995. I had time to be on line only to pay the bills!

I'm an avid reader just like you all are so I wanted to mention a wonderful book I read recenty Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. Perhaps you've already read it. It's one of those you can't put down and when it ends you wish there was more. Shayla is still a bit young for it, but it's something you can keep for her to read when she's older. I'm going to pick up The Hunger Game and read it.
Susan

 
At 13/11/10 10:27 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

How funny, I just read 'The Hunger Games' too! I am a senior English teacher in Australia, and one of my students has been begging me to read it for a few months now. So I finally picked it up, and read it within two days - it was excellent!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home