Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A Real Big Step For Me

You most likely wouldn't think the English teacher in me would like this funny little kitten graphic, but I do! (And since this is about Christi and she LOVED kittens, I really do!)

I JUST MADE A REAL BIG STEP FORWARD! You'll never believe it! On Sunday, while Shayne cooked an awesome brunch, I made the final decisions on Christi's grave marker. Shayne said, "That's great! I'm really proud of you, Angela. I couldn't ever do it." On Monday, I called the monument place and made an appointment for Wednesday morning to order it.

The poor guy remembered me from when I was in his store four years ago, sitting at his desk. I burst into tears, got up, took Shayla's little hand and walked out. He said something like, "Oh yeah, it's coming back to me now. I know who you are; I remember you." At least he didn't come right out and say, "Oh, yes, you were the sad, crazy, wacky, rude lady who just got up and walked right out the door as I sat at my desk looking up prices. Now here you are four years later actually coming to order this puppy, well the price has gone up - a lot!"

Seriously, I'm very, very happy with myself. I can't believe I did it! I'm ready - well, not really, but...... Now let's just see if I actually go through with my Wednesday morning appointment. Don't let me down now, dear Lord! I really don't want to do a repeat performance! That was quite embarassing and precious Christi deserves a lovely marker at her grave site memorializing her life.

12 Comments:

At 16/11/10 11:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angela - this must be heartbreaking - but I think you feel a great sense of fulfillment when you get this done - I have no doubt that you have chosen something beautiful and meaningful. The world is utterly unfair - but think of it as a celebration of your little one's life - who touched even strangers.

 
At 16/11/10 12:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please don't be so hard on yourself, Angela. A mother, any mother, any parent, should never, ever, EVER, have to order a gravestone for a child. It's a most unnatural thing. There isn't even an appropriate word to acknowledge this task. One doesn't say, "congratulations". One might say, May you know that the marker is not a "period" at the end of the book of Christi's life. She continues to influence, inspire, and ignite lives all over the world. You, her family, have allowed us into the most personal of journeys. And Christi has forever changed who we are, as a result.

XO
Kalyani.

 
At 16/11/10 4:40 PM, Blogger bearie1 said...

Angela, I'm proud of you also. I just today finished up something for my mother's estate that I had been dreading. And I feel relief, no longer having to worry about it. I hope you feel the same. Elaine

 
At 16/11/10 5:01 PM, Blogger Holly said...

Oh, I know how hard that was! I'm praying for you for Wednesday. Everything in it's own time. You just can't do it until you're ready.

Love Holly in Katy TX

 
At 16/11/10 9:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you for doing it Angela. I know it was very hard because for a long time you told us about putting it off. I'm sure it will look great!

 
At 17/11/10 12:36 AM, Anonymous brooke r. said...

Please be kind to yourself about this Angela. When I see what you've been through, what you've survived and yet still managed to accomplish I am in awe. This PhD thing is hard enough, but going through what you did, and doing everything you do and did, really, you are amazing. So, please, please, please be kind to yourself around this. Heck, I've lost 6 months of working on my dissertation to my father's death (of cancer as well) in April. Loosing a child? I don't have my own, but I know it is far more difficult.

I'll shut up now.

 
At 17/11/10 6:36 AM, Blogger Amy K said...

This is a wonderful step Angela! Congratulations. You're a strong, wonderful woman/mother who will get through this today with beautiful Christi in your heart helping you through.....lifting up prayers on your behalf.

"Do what you think you cannot".

Blessings...

 
At 17/11/10 8:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great BIG HUGS to you Angela {{{{{hugs}}}}}

 
At 17/11/10 10:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

awww... reading your blog all these years. You are so brave.
I'm sure you can do it. You did so much for her when she was alive, and she is so proud of you watching over you now. Wishing you peace and love.

 
At 17/11/10 12:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you Angela, you should be so proud!

 
At 17/11/10 2:19 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I can definitely feel for you! It was sooooooooo difficult for us to create Ryan's stone too! But, it is a lasting memorial too...kindof the final "gift" you can give your child. Bummer....that it has to be "that'! Ugh! But, Christi knows that you did it with your heart and it's a gift full of love! There's no doubt there!
Hope all is well....are't we sooooooo lucky to have our girls! They are what keep us going...praise the Lord for that!
Take care and know that you are in our thoughts and prayers often!
Christie, Paul & Ashley

 
At 18/11/10 5:30 AM, Blogger Sammie Ryan said...

Ah Angela im so glad you made the decision to get the garve marker for sweet little Christi.
Well done you.

Love Sam (Ireland)xx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home