Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Thursday, February 09, 2006

When it rains.....



Christi was asleep by 7:00 PM (very unusual for the child that stays up reading at night much later than Shayne and I possibly can). I was sound asleep with Shayla when I heard Christi calling for me at 2:45 AM. Neither one of us slept much after that. Her mouth sores are causing so much mouth and throat pain. Her eyes are hurting her too. Finally at 5:45 AM, I told her I'd send Daddy in to cuddle while I took a shower because we had to get to the hospital soon and hopefully they'd make her feel better. I showed Shayne where Shayla's clothes were set out and I took off for the hospital with Christi knowing Christi's teacher would be taking Shayla to school for us today.

Arriving at the hospital, she was close to having a fever. (I'm still hoping we're going to somehow avoid that dreaded fever which will require about a week's hospitalization - somewhere.) A sweet Angel at Mercy had driven up to Toledo last night so that her platlets would be ready for her this morning. (Amazing volunteers! We praise Him!!) THANK YOU precious blood donors for saving our daughter's life with your priceless gift of blood!!

She was able to receive both platelets and whole red blood cells in less than seven hours. Yahoo! (Incredible nurses and staff! Thanks, Doug and all!) She did spike a fever during the process, but it didn't go over 100.4 which is what it was when we left for home. Her eyes were hurting in addition to her mouth sores so she just wanted me to read to her the entire time, so I did. We finished one book and have just three chapters left of "Lunch Money" by Andrew Clements. Shayne, much to my delight, suprised us by popping in for a little bit.

Soon afterward I received a text message from him. "Shayla threw up at school. They sent her to Shari's." Oh, no!!!! Poor Shayla!!!! I had no idea anything was wrong with her and of course my mind raced to Christi's current inability to fight off infection and yet knew I had to get her out of Shari's home before her kids came home from school. Darn this beast! Thankfully, it was Grandma Nee Nee to the rescue!! She picked up Shayla at Shari's and is taking her to her condo so that the girls will be separated. My heart breaks for Shayla!

Currently, Christi isn't feeling the best but she's interested in watching cartoons now - so I thought I'd put up a quick update and say thank you for your love and prayers! We'll see what tomorrow brings. I'm still hopeful about returning to school, but time will tell.

GOOD NEWS: I can't feel any "bumpity bumps" on her forehead or her jaw today. Praise God! Her head was hurting so much I couldn't let my hand wander to the top of her head, but maybe I'll check later. I'm hoping she'll be one of the 60% of kids who will have this chemo work for 2-14 months - oh, how about 18 months, dear Lord?!!!

Photo: Wrapped in hugs! (Christi's delightful art teacher delivered a lovely and colorful "hug" from all of the kids at her school. Precious!)

Photo: Daddy stopped by a read a couple of chapters during his lunch break today.

20 Comments:

At 9/2/06 4:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the update. It is good news to hear that she wants to watch cartoons and that you can not feel any bumpity bumps.

Lets hope that this chemo works for over the 2 - 14 months. Prayer is power and some many prayers are being said on this incredible girl's behalf.

She is a gem!!

 
At 9/2/06 4:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rest up, dear Christi, knowing that so many of us are out here thinking of you and praying for you. You're in the best of care! Sending you lots of love and gentle hugs :-)

ChemoAngel Nancy in NH

 
At 9/2/06 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You all are amazing! I will continue my prayers for you!

 
At 9/2/06 4:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope Shayla feels better, and I am so happy to hear that Christi's bumps are not there today! I am praying always!

Jen

 
At 9/2/06 4:24 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Oh no I'm so sorry to hear that Shayla isn't feeling well. Poor baby!! At least her good buddy Grandma Nee Nee can take care of her. Grandma's are the best!!!

I'm glad that sweet Christi was able to get her blood and platlets today and that some of her bumps are reducing. Please dear Lord hear our prayers for a response to this chemo.

Thinking of you always, praying hard and loving you!

Heather

 
At 9/2/06 4:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stories are the best when you're feeling poorly aren't they Christie? I pray God is listening to all the prayers that are being said for you and your family...XXX

 
At 9/2/06 4:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't get where you get so much strenght from...oh! The Lord of all comfort, It must be Him!
Praying for you from Vancouver, Canada

 
At 9/2/06 6:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Thmas team,

I hope the pain means the chemo is working!! Sorry to hear she feels so sick. I wish there was something we all could do!

My son had a hit to the eye on the weekend and has to have eye surgery tomorrow. The pain of a fracture to your eye orbit is exscruciating.. her pain must be so much worse. It has been scary watching him in so much pain, and medicated up so much. It makes me realize how important that pain medicine is, and how painful all that Christi is going through has been. Prayers and hugs!

Sending our love,

Mary and Family!

 
At 9/2/06 6:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Sweetheart, I am so sorry you are not feeling well. I pray this chemo is working and that you will have many, many years to come with your precious daughter. I have 3 children and I must say you have made me appreciate my children and their health more then I thought possible. We are praying for you. I pray God wraps you in his loving arms during this time.

 
At 9/2/06 8:29 PM, Blogger Brigid and Celie said...

Roses are Red,
Violets are Green,
Our love, hope and prayers,
To the wonderful Thomas Team!

XOXOXO
Brigid and Celie

 
At 9/2/06 9:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh No Shayla...get better soon Sweetie!! Geez, that nasty stomach flu sure is making it's rounds..it was here two weeks ago. :0(
Christi...our lil' SUnshine...kep looking up girl. Remember..."Life is Tough....but YOU are Tougher"!! :0)
With love and prayers for a great new day...
Kim and Kody

 
At 9/2/06 10:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I pray for you tonight dear Christi, that the lord will hold you close and heal you! I pray your mouth and throat feel better soon, and that you are back at school tomorrow! I'm going to give blood next week in your honor. You are so special!!! I sent you a card to the P.O. box, and sent Shayla a birthday card too. Sending you all hugs!!
Megan in NC

 
At 9/2/06 11:08 PM, Blogger Kait said...

Oh, I hope your two sweet girls feel better soon! I remember a few years ago when you guys were in New York around Shayla's birthday and the poor little thing got the stomach bug! Yuck!

 
At 9/2/06 11:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so sorry you had such a rough day. Christi, I hope the pain recedes quickly and your mouth sores heal up. I have been lifting your family up in prayer since I began following your story about two weeks ago. You have been through so much already. May God hold your family close and keep you in His care. Shayla, I hope you are feeling much better soon. Angela and Shayne - you are amazing parents - your light is shining through your precious daughters!

Praying for a miracle for Christi!

 
At 10/2/06 12:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope she sleeps through the whole mouth sore thing. She looks peaceful asleep. Poor little Princess. Hope Shayla is feeling better too. Praying for all of you. Love, Ellen

 
At 10/2/06 7:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hoping that this morning finds Christi relieved of most (if not all) of her pain. Hoping too that Shayla's bug was short-lived and that she and Christi will be able to be together by the weekend.

You are never far from my thoughts.

 
At 10/2/06 8:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I knew what I wanted to say...

If prayers and hope could heal anything, I'd hope it'd heal you first.

 
At 10/2/06 8:45 AM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Good morning Sweet Christi (Mommy, Daddy and Shayla too),

I hope that today you are feeling a bit better and that the blood gave you some needed engery.

Praying that your mouth and throat feel better soon. I'm sorry that they are bothering you so much.

Praying for Shayla's quick recovery so that everyone can get back under one roof soon.

My love and prayers forever and always,
Heather

 
At 10/2/06 11:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Away bumpity lumps away!

It is so hard to see Christi so depleted in the pictures but if it means better health just down the road, then sleep away Christi! I hope the pain and sores are better. I hope you're able to pop your head outside and breath in the air and maybe even go to school today???

Sending you all lots of "hopes", wishes, prayers, dreams and love,
Eliza

 
At 10/2/06 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Checked in last night hoping and praying for good news. Checked in at 7 this morning hoping and praying for good news. Checking in again now. Still praying...for all of you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home