Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Saturday, August 26, 2006

What a Pain!

Everyone loves when Grandpa visits!











Thanks to many who have emailed with their own experiences and also to Dr. Maris, we are now "trying" to keep ahead of the pain, however not always with success! It seems every 12 hours there is an additional area of pain (nonstop headache, neck, throat, back, arms and today upper legs and pelvis- indicating widespread disease in her bone marrow to us). She tells us it feels like the bone pain she gets from the Neulasta shots which indicates to us that the disease- located in the bone marrow in every bone in her body is pushing out her bones expanding them and causing this pain. The pain is definitely increasing as she's now breaking through the dilaudid (a narcotic). She's also becoming more and more tired. I cannot believe how rapidly this "freight train" is now moving!! A week ago she was pain free! Without a doubt, this has been the most difficult week of my life and next week will be even worse having to be away from her.

Despite it all, she's happy and has a great attitude! Shayne bought Power Point for my computer this week to help me improve my teaching. She sat on my lap letting me "teach" her what I'm planning to utilize for my first Heidelberg class this semester as we pretended she was one of my students. Afterwards she asked many questions about how to set it up; we did a few slides together and then she mastered it! Currently, she's working on "Christi Thomas by Christi Thomas". I'll see if Eric's able to add it to her website or something, somehow for anyone who'd like to check it out when she's finished. Her animals ones, which include great facts, have also been fabulous!!

Today a dream that she and her Great Aunt Marty have been talking about for three years came true. She wrote, produced, directed and had the star role in a homemade video movie "11 German Shepherds". The 50 minute drive to Jeff and Marty's was very hard on her- both ways (car sickness and the headache issue) but I'm glad we did it. The video came out great: six scenes with all of us in goofy roles; it was a lot of fun! We all have great memories!

Director Christi goes over scene 4: The Dognapping

Thanks to Aunt Marty and her 11 German Shepherds!

Paw Paw applies make up to Shayne- a villian








Our plans continue to be up in the air and with the pain increasing nearly hourly in the back of my mind I keep wondering if "this is it". I know of many parents who didn't think their child was "that bad" and then suddenly they were gone. Losing her while I must be at work next week is one of my greatest fears. (I am three sick days in the hole, ugh!!) Weeks ago airline tickets were booked to get Shayne and Christi to Philly on the 29th (Tuesday) and home on the 30th (Wednesday). Now I'm wondering if she can make it until Tuesday. Additionally, we're talking about possibly having Shayne drive her there earlier instead of waiting until Tuesday to fly. Traveling nine hours will be no picnic as it was hard just making the 15 minute drive to school with her each day this week (car sickness and the horrible headache). We know they will not return home on Wednesday as they're planning to take the train up to NYC on Thursday to make the consult scheduled with Dr. Kushner at MSKCC. I have scheduled them a flight home from NYC on Thursday, but I doubt that will happen either as I'm hopeful treatment will begin back at CHOP on Friday- if not Wednesday! Should they drive or fly? Can she make it until then? How bad will the blood counts be? How bad will the MIBG scan be? Is treatment even an option? Can Dr. Maris call a "Hail Mary" to give us more time with her? Can I fly or drive to the east coast on Friday after school to spend the weekend with them? Should Shayla go too? Time is ticking and Shayne and I need to figure out the best things to do, while also taking care of Shayla's physical and emotional needs. (I took her to the doctor's this morning as she once again has another nasty ear infection.)

As always, your prayers and compassion are seeing us through! Thank you!!

PS: A HUGE CONGRATULATIONS to my friend Madeline who will graduate with her Ph.D. in Teaching and Learning from Ohio State University tomorrow!! We both took our first class together years ago and I am so happy and so proud of this amazing educator for working so hard and completing this incredibly difficult endeavor!! You rock, Madeline!!!

6 Comments:

At 26/8/06 9:14 PM, Blogger Melinda Auld said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and especially with Christi. I dearly hope that Dr Maris can pull another rabbit out of his magic hat for her - and for you all. She is such a sweet and special child, and she deserves above all to LIVE. I pray you can get her pain under control, and that the days ahead are filled with special moments and love.

 
At 26/8/06 9:25 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

I'm absoutely sick to read of Christi's increased pain.

There are no words to offer. Just know you are all in my thoughts and prayers. Holding you close.

Lots of love and tons of prayers,
Heather

 
At 26/8/06 10:52 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Rosary in hand, praying for another miracle...

Christi's attitude always amazes me. I can't imagine being able to do half as much as she can while enduring so much.

 
At 27/8/06 2:51 AM, Blogger Eugenia said...

i'm so sorry to hear about her pain and all of the incredibly difficult decisions you and shane are faced with. i am always moved by the love in your family, whether she is feeling good or bad-- you and shane just exude this love for your children. i know that not all families get to experience the kind of love and joy that yours does. always thinking of the thomas team,
jenna

 
At 27/8/06 11:46 AM, Blogger Candy said...

Surrounding your beautiful family with prayer, especially for Christi's relief from this pain. My heart just breaks for her...for all of you. I'm glad that she is still able to smile that beautiful Christi Thomas smile despite all of her anguish. We should all be so brave.

 
At 27/8/06 2:44 PM, Blogger brooke said...

hi thomas team,
you know, i went to church this morning with friends of mine, and i wanted to let you know that i included y'all in my prayers this morning. i don't know if it'll help, but i hope it it helps your hearts to know that there are people praying for the whole of the thomas team, the 4 of you and the extended members of your support team.

-brooke, logan, utah.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home