Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Setback

Pictures: Baby Christi (six weeks / Aug. 1997)

Photos taking yesterday during Christi's "good day"

After 2 ½ - 3 days of not needing to increase her morphine, peace came to a sudden halt at 3:30 AM. Christi woke up many times from then on screaming in horrendous arm pain. She told me that it felt like someone was giving her a shot on a bruise. “I’m sorry, but that’s the only way I know to describe what it feels like.” After 29 mg. of morphine (yikes!) we didn’t stop the pain, but according to Christi, “It’s moving in the right direction now. Thank you.” She had a few cookies and milk for breakfast and I’ve now crawled out of her bed so she can get some rest without me hogging the bed. Shayne should be arriving back from the Ronald House pretty soon.

I’m not certain what this means and if Dr. Maris still feels she’s “stable” enough to give her the low dose MIBG treatment next week. I’m assuming so, but the weekend is far from over. (The low dose MIBG treatment will just be an IV injection that shouldn’t do any harm to her and it can be done outpatient. It’s very different than the high dose double MIBG treatments she received here in the fall of 2003 which made her radioactive and required her to be isolated behind the lead shields, and all of her belongings disposed of as radioactive waste, many platelet transfusions, etc.) Dr. Maris said he will not give her any treatment which will cause her harm or further deteriorate what’s left of her quality of life.

The vaccine, developed and grown from Christi’s own T-cells sent to Houston from CHOP years ago, is “in the freezer”. Logistically, moving Christi to Houston to get her vaccine is not an option due to how fragile her condition is. Although the only children who have received this vaccine that we know about have also received their Angel wings, we were still hoping Texas Children’s would send it to CHOP to have her receive the shot anyway. Since there was great expensive and effort involved in actually getting Christi’s T-cells to grow and to be viable for the vaccine, it seems natural to want to be permitted to get it back. So far, no one has moved on this so getting her vaccine is highly doubtful.


When Shayla made the decision to return home last week she knew that Christi could die while she was at home and that she may never see her alive again. Shayla took a day to make her decision, but then she explained it to me like this: “When we treated at MSKCC for a whole year, it was different. I was in school there and I had friends there. Also, I didn’t have a bunny at home. Now I have responsibility.” I’m glad she was here for ten days to help her understand how very ill her sister is, but I think she made the right decision to return home and to try to get on with her own life. Thanks to all who are taking care of her back home! I miss her very much!

10 Comments:

At 16/9/06 10:49 AM, Blogger HeatherB said...

I'm so sorry to hear that Christi has had increased pain. I hope the increase in her morphine will help her to be comfortable today.

Praying all the time for strength and peace for you and Shayne. And for pain free days for your beautiful and treasured daughter.

I'm praying for Shayla too. You're such a wonderful Mommy to allow her to make the decesion to return home if she wanted to.

Lots of love and tons of prayers,
Heather

 
At 16/9/06 11:10 AM, Blogger nikki the red said...

i love all of you!

 
At 16/9/06 11:18 AM, Blogger Nicole (SummersComing) said...

I am so hoping that you can get her home.

I had to actually laugh out loud at her "natural habitat" comment. What a rip this girl of yours is!!
Sounds like she is pretty darn intelligent as well. People with humor like that, usually are very quick. Gets that from her daddy?

 
At 16/9/06 11:53 AM, Blogger thonmom06 said...

It is almost 1PM....I'm praying that Christi is pain free. Such a sweetie she is...please give her a hug for me Angela. Only a phone call away. xoxo

 
At 16/9/06 3:30 PM, Blogger JCInNC said...

I'm so sorry Christi is having pain again. I wish there were something I could do to take it all away. Just doesn't seem fair at all. You, your family and Christi are in my thoughts and prayers throughout each and every day.

 
At 16/9/06 4:18 PM, Blogger bornwithabook said...

I pray for your family every day but haven't posted before. I wondered about the vaccine in the freezer in Houston... Do your doctors at CHOP think she should have it? In case anyone out there needs a kick in the pants to get it moving, I suspect you could say the word on this blog and have thousands of people calling Houston on your behalf.

May the peace which passes understanding guard your hearts during this time!

 
At 16/9/06 4:43 PM, Blogger thonmom06 said...

Angela and Shayne...I thought this prayer spoke volumes for you, to those back home who have been such a backbone of support...
love, sylvia

Comfort, consoling God,
thank You for those people
who have eased the burdens
of this difficult time of our lives.

Thank You for all those
who have understood the pain
and the many struggles
of my loved one and myself.

Thank You for each one
who has been patient and kind,
for each one who has tried
to ease the hurt and be there for us.

Thank You for being with us
in your many human disguises.

Amen.

from the book: May I Walk You Home?

 
At 16/9/06 5:11 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Prayers to all of you.

 
At 16/9/06 7:41 PM, Blogger KINTHEATL said...

"Hope is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune without the words, and never stops at all."~Emily Dickinson

Praying for all of you! Christi, you really are amazing!!!

 
At 16/9/06 11:05 PM, Blogger TheCarvers said...

as sick as that baby is.. she still has a BEAUTIFUL SMILE!
Thinking about you and praying for you all.
We Love You!
{{{{{{{{BIG HUGS}}}}}}}}

 

Post a Comment

<< Home