Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Still With Us

Baby Christi, Fall 1997

When her breathing slowed last night, we didn’t think she’d make it through the night - but she’s still here sleeping beside me as I type this update! Shayne spent a lot of the night on his knees beside her bed crying his eyes out. We watch each rise and fall of her chest and wondered if that breath will be her last, anxiously awaiting her chest to go up again. I again slept in Christi’s bed (have only been crawling out to use the bathroom and then to hop right back in) trying my best not to bump her and trying my best to actually get in some sleep. Again, I wasn’t so successful. Last night Shayne packed up much of this hospital room, where we’ve spent the past 12 days and I made ink prints of her thumb with hopes that Jeffrey’s Jewelry will be able to make her thumbprint into a necklace for me. About 10 PM we heard, “Bathroom!” so we quickly got her to the little make-shift potty beside her bed. While sitting there Shayne asked, “Can daddy have a hug?” You can see the answer. This amazing little pioneer is still so tender, gentle and loving. One of her many nurses said last night, “I’ve never seen a more polite child. She keeps saying sorry.”

About a week ago during one of our “serious talks” with Dr. Maris out in the hallway, Shayne asked him how successful he is in getting new cell lines to grow and would he like to try to create a cell line from Christi. Dr. Maris looked down and paused for the longest time. Finally he answered, “I can’t believe you just asked me that. No parent has ever asked me that. You have just been dealt the lowest blow a parent could ever be hit with and you want to try to help science.” It just seemed natural to us that if Christi died here, Dr. Maris should be able to autopsy her to hopefully get her particular tumor cell line to grow and to try to figure out how to kill this damn beast since all efforts have been unsuccessful thus far. Dr. Maris said that he’s only successful in establishing a cell line 1/20 of the time, but he would be honored to try and since he said he failed Christi in curing her he’d like to work with her particular tumor cells to see what could possibly be done to kill them and help other children. Last night we asked him how long he could wait before he’d need to do his work and responded, “a couple of hours.”

Most of our bags are all packed up and are sitting by the door as we know we’ll soon say goodbye to Christi’s lifeless body, carry them down to the van in the parking garage and begin our ten hour drive home, alone. It’s going to be hard, but we know we’ve got a grand Celebration of Life to take part in. Yesterday I: selected her coffin, was happy to learn that horses had been found which can pull the horse drawn carriage in which her coffin will slide, prayed many times to my father to be waiting at Heaven’s gates to give her a horsy ride and to let his body buried back at the cemetery know it was soon to have company. Additionally, I ordered a stunning boutique / pageant style white gown trimmed in pink which was shipped from California yesterday. Won’t Christi make a grand entrance as she returns to God’s kingdom?! I’m trying to be brave and strong, yet I’m really crumbling and absolutely devastated by our loss and cannot even fathom how we will go on with out this most amazing princess who so lovingly graced our lives the past nine years.

13 Comments:

At 14/9/06 10:45 AM, Blogger Nicole (SummersComing) said...

As a mom, I find this terribly difficult to read. I can not even imagine living it.

You are such amazing people. I think I would be so angry with God. On the contrary, maybe it is your amazing faith in Him that is sustaining you?!

Lastly, I know it is such a trivial thing right now...but she is so beautiful...even in these last pictures where she is so so ill.......she appears to be the perfect picture of a sleeping angel.

 
At 14/9/06 10:59 AM, Blogger KINTHEATL said...

As a parent myself, I am overcome with sadness for the both of you. Your courage in the face of such despair is truly amazing.

Christi will make a perfect angel in Heaven because it looks as though she had lots of practice being an angel here on earth.

 
At 14/9/06 11:01 AM, Blogger thonmom06 said...

I'm checking in from work....you're amazing. What a gift you are giving to you most precious daughter as she makes her journey to the other side. love you. xoxo

(I should have come down at 2AM!) : )

 
At 14/9/06 11:05 AM, Blogger HeatherB said...

My tears are falling this morning once again as I read.

Christi will be the most beautiful angel in heaven by a long shot!

What tremendous, loving parents you and Shayne are. Wanting to help science, that's an unspeakably kind thing to do.

Know I love you all dearly. It's my honor and privelage to have gotten to know and love you all.

With all of my love, prayers and tears,
Heather

 
At 14/9/06 11:10 AM, Blogger JCInNC said...

Christi is, in every aspect, a true princess. Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers.

 
At 14/9/06 11:35 AM, Blogger Colleen said...

My prayers are with all of you.

 
At 14/9/06 12:22 PM, Blogger Rebekah said...

Shayne, Angela, Amazing Christi and Sweet Shayla ...

I don't have a single word to type that would make any of this acceptable ... no parent should EVER have to struggle with such decisions ... I will continue to pray for Christi's painless journey to her Grandpa and will pray for your family's strength ... God Bless you all as you travel this infair road ... We Love You Christi!

God Bless

Rebekah from Prior Lake, MN

 
At 14/9/06 12:52 PM, Blogger Noah's Mommy said...

Praying, praying, praying for you. Soak in every moment but rest assured that your beautiful child is etched on your heart forever. Those of us whose children have gone ahead to heaven ahead of us wish that we'd had them here just a bit longer. Sending you love and prayer from Atlanta.

 
At 14/9/06 1:36 PM, Blogger Michele said...

I know how hard it is to plan a funeral and look at caskets.
It is very hard.
I hope GOD gives you the strength to get through this but, don't forget your other daughter she will need you alot to. Specially to get through this.

When I looked at my neice and nephew the pastor had told me they are going to a way better place then this place and that we were only looking at a shell of a body and not them.

Just think is will have no more pain and no more cancer. She will be running, skipping and riding a horse with you grandpa.
Just remember all the happy memories that you have made with her.

I just can't imagain what you are going through. My heart breaks for you. I have a 9 year old son and just to think that she is only 9 and that it could be me going through this it breaks my heart.
I start to cry when I read everything you have written in the past few months. I wish there is something I could do.
All I can do is pray for you to have the strength to say good-bye. Also to hang on to the memories that you have and take care of your other daughter.
Also the strength to talk to one another and make you marriage stronger.

God Bless you.
You are in my heart and prayers and my thoughts

Christi is one SUPER fighter and girl.

 
At 14/9/06 2:16 PM, Blogger Kryd said...

This post absolutly broke my heart, as tears are running down my face, I sit and think, How could someone do this so calmly. You two are holding composure very well. I envy you, even thought you understand what is in the future, you are still doing already. My prayers continue to be with your family and that gorgeous little princess that is about to grow her wings and meet her grandpa. I hope she has a wonderful time in heaven pain free.
Christi. You are a fighter, I don't think I could do as well as you have done, I would be the biggest pansy getting poked and protted daily. You are so wonderful and have been very blessed with the best parents a child could have asked for. I luv u and I hope u getting better soon, or shall I say Loose your pain, which ever way that may be. God Bless You Thomas family. You are in my thoughts always!

 
At 14/9/06 5:13 PM, Blogger Aimee Jackson said...

Angela and Shayne are the most amazing parents I've ever had the honor of meeting. It is no wonder their daughters are both so special and amazing too. And yet, I truly wish you didn't have to do this. I'm amazed you even thought of asking for them to grow her cells and try to kill them. Maybe some good will come yet from this travesty.

You're constantly in our thoughts and prayers. We just love you you all. I have no doubt you will find ways to honor Christi's memory and she will continue to make an impact in this world even while joining her grandfather and, sadly, her many friends, in the next.

 
At 14/9/06 7:17 PM, Blogger Melinda Auld said...

you are so brave...i can see where christi gets it from! what amazing role models you both are, shayne and angela. if and when i become a parent, i hope to be just like you. you have taught us all so much about life, and love, and loyalty, and courage under fire. i cant imagine the pain you're going through, and yet you remain so thoughtful of others, so generous and so brave. i feel honoured to have found you.

i pray as always for no more pain for christi, and for her peace, and for the softest, most beautiful pair of wings to fly her to heaven. though i sit here crying tears of hurt for what she has to go through, and for the utter, senseless horror that she must face, i am glad that she has you to be there with her - to guide her, and guard her, and to hold her up. you are my inspiration, all of you.

 
At 18/9/06 10:59 PM, Blogger cmhl said...

the photos of Chrisi with her dad are beautiful. what a beautiful little girl. praying for you all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home