Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Friday, September 15, 2006

Truly Loved

Baby Christi, Dec. 1997 - 7 months

I continue to plan Christi’s “Celebration of Life” and Shayne continues to rack his brain with treatment options that might possibly be viable. (He continues to beat himself up with, “Why am I letting her down? Why can’t I figure this out?”) Even as much as I tell him he’s in “desperate parent mode” as we’ve witnessed this with our cancer friends time and time again, I do admit I’d glad he’s doing it. When she’s feeling well for a time, it’s hard not to believe that she still can’t yet put up a good fight. Dr. Maris did tell us days ago, “Her body says it’s time to stop.” I agree she looks horrible at times- so pale and weak, but other times she doesn’t look so bad. Again today’s blood counts were great: hgb. 11.4, platelets 70 (to be transfused again tomorrow) white count 6.4 with an ANC of 5,550. Amazing for a terminal kid, eh?! I guess that’s what’s hard. If she had a hemoglobin of 7.8 we could rationally say, “Ok, we’ll stop the blood transfusions and just let her pass,” but it has been 11.4-13.2 for weeks! It’s hard and we want to life with “no regrets” even though we’ve said many times that will never be possible. So while I received word from the funeral home back home that her gown arrived from Los Angeles and it is gorgeous, I also slipped into “desperate parent mode” asked Dr. Maris, “What about low dose MIBG therapy?"

Dr. Maris sort of laughed (Well as much as “Mr. Serious” can laugh) and said, “That was scheduled for next week and recently cancelled.” He paused, then responded, “There’s no reason that she couldn’t get it next week though.” He said that just because she’s had two “good” days doesn’t mean that will continue. He does believe she’s stable enough now that we could try to transfer her home to hospice next week, but he’s also considering some mild anti-cancer treatments (low dose VP-16, perhaps) depending on how she does over the weekend. It wouldn’t be to cure her, but to try to continue this “decent’ quality of life she’s had the past two days and to give us more precious time with our beloved daughter that we just don’t want to part with.

Late last night Eric uploaded some pics which you can see by scrolling down the blog. I particularly love the two of her hugging Shayne, despite how pale and weak she looks. This morning she made me laugh and giggle many times while she sat on my lap while the wonderful nurse changed her bed. Earlier, while sitting on the potty, I laughed so hard I thought I was going to let go of supporting her. After I told her, “I love you, honey, “ she said, “Ah, mommy loves me. Even here in my natural habitat.” What a card! She’s lost some spark and dazzle, but definitely not her humor!

Shayla continues with this “anger” mood it seems. This morning when I called her before school to check on her she seemed to be upset with the Principal. “It’s really foggy and school isn’t even delayed!” She’ll spend the weekend with her good friend Amber and I know she’ll be well taken care of and happy, especially since I won’t keep calling and checking in on her.

M
any have emailed me that the prayer website that has been set up for Christi is quite lovely. Because “myspace” websites are all blocked from the hospital, we’ve yet to see it but I will when we return home. Thanks, Jennifer www.myspace.com/sayaprayerforchristi Here’s thanking you all for lifting us up in prayer and here’s wishing you all a grand weekend! Enjoy!

15 Comments:

At 15/9/06 7:40 PM, Blogger Aimee Jackson said...

Wow. Christi is such a fighter.... still defying the odds. I do hope you are granted many more days filled with happy memories of your beautiful little girl. She is really something else.

It is probably better that you cannot see her myspace tribute. It is so beautiful and touching I don't think you'd be able to do anything else other than sit there and read the beautiful prayers and look at the many pictures and slide shows. I just spent 20 minutes crying over it myself!

Those prayers must be helping, because the medicine hasn't done much for her. We will keep them coming!

 
At 15/9/06 7:45 PM, Blogger Ryla Amor said...

I've been tuning in on Christi's condition. My husband and I were drowning ourselves with tears the night of the 13th when you said that she was breathing slower. Our 3 year old is also a cancer fighter, and I can't imagine what you and your husband has to go through. Your daughter is indeed a HERO to me and my family. How brave of her to stay this strong after so many years of chemo/radiation. I created a picture montage for her... I'm not sure if the hospital blocks YouTube.com but here's the link just in case they'll allow you to view it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUOfGLPTcAU
Just know that a family here in San Diego, California is here for you all. Christi is such a BEAUTIFUL child... I wish I can go there and meet you all in person and especially Sweet Christi... We are praying HARD for her and so far God's answering our prayers.... We love all of you...

Ryla Amor's Mommy,
Liza Amor

 
At 15/9/06 7:59 PM, Blogger thonmom06 said...

I think the saying that comes to mind, witnessing through your words and pictures these last couple days, is "Let go and let God".... YOU DID THAT ON WEDNESDAY ...when we all believed that God was ready to take Christi into His Kingdom.

And then... the miracle happened. I see it as a miracle anyway. Christi "rebounded", if that is the appropriate description. It has been amazing to witness really. To see this most precious child of God finally be comfortable for the most part, and even eat! And to have this special time with her mom and dad... In my cries of frustration to Him these past few days and nights I ask "what now???" I cannot even imagine the things going on inside of your heads.

And Angela, as far as planning Christi's Celebration of Life....I am deeply moved. I've had to plan my own funeral and I personally think it is beautiful that you are able to do that...what amazing strength...putting this together while you are indeed CELEBRATING Christi's "ressurection" of sorts. And Shayne, so easy for me or anyone else to say not to be so hard on yourself. As a parent I hope I would do the same thing. But...TRY not to beat yourself up. I've loved watching you with Christi, and Shayla. God indeed is right there through you. You love, you minister, you comfort, you fight with all of your being, and your deep, strong belief in your faith and religion ~ thank you for witnessing to me. The pictures of you and Christi...they speak so loud and so deep.

So my prayer tonight is for you to continue to let God speak to you as He has all along...asking Him to continue to heal Christi. You will know what is best for Christi...you always have.

God bless you. I love you. Holding you forever close. ~ Sylvia xoxo

 
At 15/9/06 8:07 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

I'm so glad that you and Christi have been having some "decent" days these last two.

I love seeing her eating and smiling a bit.

You have most certanitly NOT let Christi down. You've persued absoultly everything available to her these last four years. I'm in awe of you and how much you've researched for answers for your precious daughter.

I've told my Mom many,many times the world would be a lovely place if every parent put their children first the way the two of you do.

Know that I love you and am holding you tight. Love, prayers and cyber hugs and kisses times a million!!

Love you,
Heather

 
At 15/9/06 8:41 PM, Blogger Swinging Sammy said...

I am praying for you all. May the peace of Christ which surpasses all human understanding, be with you now and in the coming months.

 
At 15/9/06 9:12 PM, Blogger Brigid and Celie said...

Those strawberries look really good!! We hope you have a nice night! Sweet dreams! Lots of love and prayers,

XOXOXO
Brigid and Celie

 
At 15/9/06 9:15 PM, Blogger Alison Haddock said...

Coming from a parent that has been there, I can honestly say that I know you are all doing everything right. Not giving up hope, exhausting any and all options, having faith that God will let you know when the time has come. It is such a difficult situation of constantly making decisions and then second guessing yourself and doctors. I feel confident that Christi will let you know when the fight is over, and until then, you just do the best you can as her parents. You both have such tremendous faith and great love for your precious daughter...what greater gift.
I am praying that our Lord and Savior is guiding you and comforting you in this hour of need.

In Him-
Alison Haddock
Mom to Angel Alexandria

www.caringbridge.org/page/
alexandriasangels

 
At 15/9/06 9:31 PM, Blogger Tine said...

Dear Christi-
Just look at you: you are surprising everyone around you: eating, listening to stories, making people laugh and cry. We are praying for you (and your family)in Michigan.
Love,
The Heron family

 
At 15/9/06 10:03 PM, Blogger Melinda Auld said...

angela and shayne, these days with christi are so precious, and i am so, so glad you have the chance for more hugs and chats and laughs and sweet moments. that is in itself a miracle, considering the other night. christi is the very definition of a warrior. she just keeps going with quiet dignity despite all the odds stacked against her. and, with her blood counts so great - is her body really saying it's time? i suppose the LDH says "yes" - but i see that as the cancer saying yes, but CHRISTI is saying NO. i can't imagine what you're going through, and im so sad that you have to feel such pain as her loving parents. you are both truly inspirational - i know those words have probably lost all meaning to you right now, but know that it is so true. we all of us who have been following your story know it. we love you and your daughters so much.

i send you all my strength for the coming days, and as always i wish you peace, sweet moments with christi, and more time...

 
At 15/9/06 10:07 PM, Blogger monsoon dreams said...

dear-in -christ,
praying for dearest christi.i too go thru similar situation.so i can understand what you are going thru.may god give you peace.chrisi is somebody very close to me now.
regards.

 
At 15/9/06 10:32 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Eden and I were talking last night about our trip back from Philly with you and Christi and Eden said "Mom, she just cracked me up with her songs” I feel so blessed that we have that memory. I could not be happier that you are getting this time with her and that she may be able to go home. Just as you said, there is no way to predict his plan for her so just jump in and try to enjoy the ride! It has made my day to be able to wake up and go to bed with good reports on her.

You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Lisa Adams www.edenadams.com

 
At 15/9/06 10:32 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Eden and I were talking last night about our trip back from Philly with you and Christi and Eden said "Mom, she just cracked me up with her songs” I feel so blessed that we have that memory. I could not be happier that you are getting this time with her and that she may be able to go home. Just as you said, there is no way to predict his plan for her so just jump in and try to enjoy the ride! It has made my day to be able to wake up and go to bed with good reports on her.

You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Lisa Adams www.edenadams.com

 
At 15/9/06 11:13 PM, Blogger Nathan and Brenda Lucius said...

Dear Angela and Shane,
We were so honored that you visited our site in the midst of this tremondous burden you are carrying. We are checking you site many times a day for updates and praying so much - without ceasing - for you. We feel like we know you very well through your very beautiful updates and we are behind you 100%. We have learned a lot from you. What a gift Christi is.
Much Love,
Brenda Lucius

 
At 16/9/06 5:52 AM, Blogger Trine said...

Glad to read she had a better day, and I really likethe two pics where is huggning her Dad. You truly love her, and I know you will do what is best for her.

I wonder if she knows what happening to her?

You are in my thoughts .

Love,
Trine

 
At 16/9/06 8:41 AM, Blogger thonmom06 said...

Good morning Thomas Team...I hope this finds you having had a restful night and a pretty good morning. xoxo love, sylvia

smp75@msn.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home