Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Sunday Morning


Christi slept well through the night. She did not actually move from this position. In part it is from the increase in Ativan. Her pulse has dropped to the low 50’s, however, it is strong. Each breath seems to be forced, but, I would not describe it as labored breathing.

The days and nights actually go by very fast. It is more like one long day with a bunch of naps. We choose to keep it very isolated in our room. Christi is leaving us and we want to absorb these final days. In some very sad ways she has already left us. No longer does she walk, or read, or draw. When awake she is a distant shell of her former self. Her eyes lack focus. Conversations, are peppered with narcotic induced hallucinations. So I have resigned myself to the fact that the real Christi has already departed. It is time for her soul and body to catch up. Perhaps today will be a better day...there is always hope right Shayla? One of the lucid things that Christi was able to manage yesterday was this comment about her pain. "If I weren't so civil I would be cursing right now" REALLY I am not making that up!!!She said that…. Honestly, I have no idea were she gets that "civility". Most be from Angela.

Angela is an amazing women with powerful capacity to function under stress. She has marshaled the forces who will lay our sweetie to rest while not missing a moment with her while living. Angela leads a busy and complicated life and when something of this magnitude occurs there are bound to be many professional disruptions. From the very bottom of my heart I want to thank all of you who have helped her along. She does not deserve to have her child stolen and face such deep disruption in her profession life. That is just more than one person should be forced to endure-so again thank you.

Aunts and grandmas please skip this paragraph-too much info:
Medically speaking, the pain is originating from the expansion of the disease in the marrow space. We have been told that bone pain is the worst pain to manage. If the pressure continues there is the possibility of fractures. There is no way to tell what is really going on with her body though. Surprisingly her hemoglobin continues to be in double digits. Many kids expire from inadequate blood supply. With her robust counts it appears that she will go a different route. Maris says that there is an outpost somewhere churning out red blood cells (maybe in her big toe=his words not mine). It is very confounding but the disease is somewhat sinister in preserving its host.

The thought of her vanishing forever is far too depressing. I have taken emotional refuge in trying to establish a proper way to memorialize her. Our ideas are starting to gel and we hope to enlist her supporters help us.

Today we are looking forward to real Italian meatballs and a visit from the Kerschners. There will be more quiet time with Christi and probably another host of frightful decisions such as placement of a foley catheter.

9 Comments:

At 17/9/06 8:24 AM, Blogger Annie said...

You are always in my thoughts and prayers.

 
At 17/9/06 9:31 AM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Contiuned prayers and love today.

Holding you all close to my heart as you continue to care for and love Christi. She's a blessed gal to have you as parents and without a doubt she knows that.

And of course you can count on me to help in anyway possible when you make the firm plans of how you would like to memoralize Christi.

I love you all so, so dearly!

Lots of love and prayers,
Heather

 
At 17/9/06 10:01 AM, Blogger Jennifer Saks said...

I, too, will not look away. Christi is on my heart and in my prayers every day now. I woke up early this morning wondering about her, as I’m sure so many are. I believe this is God's way of surrounding Christi and her family with prayers and with his Spirit. We've gone through something very similar--saying goodbye to a precious child--and there is truly nothing worse. But God IS there, and He will not let you do this by yourselves. My prayer is that Christi can be kept comfortable, and that you, Angela and Shane, will be filled with the knowledge of His love and care. I'm praying you will have wisdom and strength. And I'm praying for little Shayla...she is in a special position right now that you as her parents can't truly share. When our middle son died our other two children went through a totally different type of grief than my husband and I, and even now after 10 years there are STILL areas we can't discuss with them because they say it is too painful. I wonder if it might be a good idea to send for Shayla? Could her grandparents or an aunt fly out with her? Is it possible she's angry because she feels she made the wrong decision and wishes she was there with you? Maybe just being asked if she wants to come would be all she needs...she could still say no. Just my rambling thoughts...none of my business, really, but I have had all of you so heavily on my heart.

"The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the PEACE of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:5-7
Continuing to pray for you,
Jennifer Saks

 
At 17/9/06 11:46 AM, Blogger Kryd said...

I really hope today is a much better day. I pray that none of her bones will fracture, that would be absolutely terrible!!

My prayers are still with you all....every day and night!

luv, Krystal

 
At 17/9/06 11:58 AM, Blogger Candy said...

As I read through your posts, it brings back so many memories of losing my dad last year and my mom the year before, both to cancer. There is one huge difference though - you are experiencing the loss of a child and that is something no parents should EVER have to do.

I want to share something with you but I also want you to know that I can't even pretend to know what you are going through - I am merely sharing my own experience in the hope that it helps you a little. When my dad was on hospice at home and the time came to make a decision about placing a foley, I knew instantly that I had made the right choice. He was so much calmer afterwards and was able to sleep peacefully. He no longer seemed aggitated and his wakeful periods were spent with his family, rather than using every bit of his energy to get out of bed.

I am so sorry for the decisions you have to make for dear Christi as you try to soak in every second and commit it to memory. I continue to pray for all of you but I especially pray for an end to Christi's pain.

 
At 17/9/06 2:01 PM, Blogger KINTHEATL said...

God Bless.

 
At 17/9/06 6:46 PM, Blogger Melinda Auld said...

I feel like im running out of words. or maybe there just are no words to give you the comfort you deserve, or to take away the pain. a hug, they say, is worth 1000 words...and im too far away to give you a hug. i feel so helpless...and my words feel stupid and clumsy. im so sorry.

never looking away...

 
At 17/9/06 9:19 PM, Blogger Tonya Talley, Maryland said...

I just want you and your family to know that I have been praying for you all for 4 years since the day you all found out about Christi's condition.

I have a daughter that is the same age and Christi and when I share the updates with her she says a prayer immediately for her and your family. I can look at her and say God I know there could be many things wrong with her but I thank you that she has great health and I pray for your little angel Christi.

My heart is breaking for you and your family! Just want you to know that I check the blog all the time many, many, many times a day to see of the updates.

Praying for you!

 
At 17/9/06 10:51 PM, Blogger Angel Feathers Tickle Me said...

I have linked you to my blog. I am sorry that I did not know about your little girl earlier. This is a site of prayers, dreams and Angels. I wrote a special poem for your little girl. I am a cancer survivor. And I have seen an angel now........your Christie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home