Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Trick or Treat Nights Revisited

I've really been dreading this. This will be our first trick or treat night without Christi. She always loved this night! (Shayla told me today, "Christi didn't like the candy. She just liked that you let her dress up like a cat and go out and walk around with Thersa. What a hoot!) Even in 2002 when Christi was in isolation, she was still here. Even in 2003 when she missed the real trick or treating, her friend Theresa waited a day and went with her November 1st. Tonight we will continue with our tradition of meeting at Grandma Donna's house to go trick or treating with Katie and Donna in Grandma's awesome neighborhood. Theresa and Kaylyn will meet us there. Shayla is thrilled. I'm queasy and just wishing Shayne were home to help me get through this night. (He's been on a business trip with a client in Amsterdam since Saturday. Thankfully, he'll be home very soon - just not soon enough for me!)

2002 (age 5) At home in isolation. THANK YOU TO ALL WHO CAME TO WAVE THROUGH THE WINDOW!

2003 (age 6) "Cat in the Hat"

2004 (age 7) The Cat, Christi with Theresa

2005 (age 8) The Cat, who lost her hat, after a silly night out trick or treating with Theresa

Since Christi was a cat for the past three straight years, Shayla asked if she could wear the black cat costume this year. (Can you believe my mom made it for me many years ago?!) Thankfully, she made it very easy on me in terms of costume creations. Christi's idea this year would have entailed great last minute effort on my part, I'm thinking.

Christi decided her Halloween costume during the summer. As she was thinking out loud, I was praying she'd be alive and able to go Trick or Treating with Theresa and Grandma Donna again this year. Christi wanted to be "half boy / half girl". She said she'd wear a ball cap on one side of her head and her wig on the other half. She said she'd wear a dress on one side and pants on the others. She thought she'd wear one high heel and put make up on one side of her face. I'm certain it would have looked hideous, but she would have loved it!!

Gone were the days when the "Halloween Fairy" would assign the girls' costumes. When the girls were little I'd find their costumes at garage sales during the summer. Once fall arrived "THE HALLOWEEN FAIRY" would leave a note in our mailbox assigning the girls their halloween costumes. Well, it all worked out great until Christi started making friends at preschool and she learned that the other kids got to pick out what they wanted to be for themselves. (Hmmmm! So much for "The Halloween Fairy"!)

4 Comments:

At 31/10/06 9:38 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Been thinking about you all day long. I know how Christi loved Trick or Treating with her great friend.

I pray that you felt God's peace and His arms holding you tight tonight as Shayla, Kayln and Thereasa trick or treated.

How funny about Christi's costume idea- I love it! Funny and orginal just like her.

Loving, remembering and missing Christi tonight and always,
Heather

 
At 31/10/06 10:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love all the halloween pictures of Christi the cat! And I laughed at the part about "The Halloween Fairy" what a good idea that was while it lasted. As for the idea Christi came up with for this year I think she would have been the best female/male out there..instead she is the most beautiful angel that we know. God bless all of the Thomas team!

:) Erin

 
At 1/11/06 12:13 AM, Blogger Frapper said...

I love the idea of the "Halloween Fairy" picking out the costumes for the children! It's always been one of my favourite holidays and I'm sure it was very difficult for you to be out without Christi. My prayers for your family continue as you face each new holiday and family milestone without your sweet Christi.

 
At 2/11/06 6:32 PM, Blogger Mrs. B said...

Christi's costume idea brought me a smile...a fellow student/co-worker of mine at our local state university dressed up as "half boy/half girl" as well. He's a big, tall guy, and he must have looked hideous...I'm sure Christi would have been adorably hideous, at least!

And I love the "Halloween Fairy" idea...I'll have to use that on my kids someday.

Love and prayers from California...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home