Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Saturday, October 07, 2006

Hope to Cope


For years people asked me how I could keep marching along as I did. I always reponded, "Hope". Upon learning she had cancer, I had hope that she'd get through the nine month protocol just fine. When she didn't I had hope that alternative treatments would save her life. When in March of 2003 we learned it was indeed terminal, I still had hope convincing myself that if she just held in there long enough a cure would be found. Even the last week I had hope - a different kind of hope. I had hope that she'd have a peaceful transition. Now, weeks after her death, I still have hope. I hope to live the rest of my life in a way that will ensure that we will one day be together again - in a much better place. (Thank you to a sweet Prayer Warrior for making this picture! The photo of Christi was taken in October 2005 when Christi hopped up on a chair and I slipped my wedding dress over her head and gave her my wedding flowers to hold. What a beauty!)

Despite my "hope" it's still very, very hard and my Angel friends who have also had a child die of cancer tell me time makes it worse for over a year. I spent much of the afternoon crying my eyes out on the couch wondering, "How can it possibly get any worse?" An hour before we were going to leave to go to the football game last night with our classmates (It's our 20th class reunion weekend; can you believe it? Certainly we're not THAT old, smile.) I suddenly realized I couldn't possibly go. Although I wanted Shayne to go be with our friends we haven't seen for so many years, he said he wouldn't leave me. Instead we watched "The Wild" with Shayla and ate popcorn. Hopefully, tonight I'll be up to the 1986 class dinner. I really love our old high school friends.

This morning will find us taking another family bike ride with Aunt Marty and Uncle Jeff - this one on the Lexington/Mansfield trail. Although my legs and arms are still aching from Shayne giving me exercises to do that the gym yesterday, I'm looking forward to our bike ride!

8 Comments:

At 7/10/06 9:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoy the beautiful ride with Aunt Marty and Uncle Jeff. Trail rides are always so much fun!

I hope you are up to attending the class of 1986 dinner tonight. Twenty years must go by fast but you both still look like young and vibrant parents. PS...I was only 3 years old when you graduated hehe!!!


Love, Erin

 
At 7/10/06 10:31 AM, Blogger Kim said...

I am so glad that you still have hope, Angela...but I know that it cannot possible take away the pain and heartache of missing your sweet girl! Just know that we are all still praying for the Thomas Team!

With love and admiration -

Kim

 
At 7/10/06 12:07 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

When I read an update I always want to comment to let you know we are still here and still thinking about you. I still shed tears for your loss. I can never find the words that accurately depict the sorrow I feel...

I feel your grief sweep over me when I read your words and I wish with all my might I could hold you until it all goes away.

You spent 4 years in this bloody war and you cannot expect yourself to heal in such short amount of time. Take it slow and although the memories will never fade the healing will come.

All our love

Lisa www.edenadams.com

 
At 7/10/06 7:03 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Dearest friends,

My heart aches for you. I know you must long desperatly to hold your Christi in your arms.

I know you have the hope of Heaven to keep you going, but that doesn't make you long for her any less right now.

Holding you close in prayer and in my heart!

I love you dearly,

Lots of love and prayers,
Heather

 
At 7/10/06 10:32 PM, Blogger Rebekah said...

Angela , I am so sorry that today was a 'bad' day for you, I could never imagine the painful loss that you have endured ... PLEASE know that I have not forgotten about your Christi and will forever remain a faithful prayer warrior for your family now that she is gone ... the photo above is beautful even though it is heartbreaking to see .. Gosh what a beautiful little girl she is! I continue to think about your hourly it seems ... God Bless .... I am glad to hear you all had nice family time with Shayla watching The Wild ... I know she needs you both so much rigght now, as much as you need her ... I hope your night was enjoyable at your reunion ...

Love from my family to yours!
Rebekah Clark
Prior Lake, MN
mommy_jaden@yahoo.com

 
At 7/10/06 10:53 PM, Blogger thonmom06 said...

I will be praying through the night for you. love, sylvia

 
At 8/10/06 1:13 AM, Blogger Mieke said...

Hello! I found this most touching blog through a link from a friend. I just wanted to tell you that Christi has touched my heart in so many ways. Your family and your story are tremendous. I cannot even express how sorry I am that you have lost your sweet,courageous daughter. I know how hard hope can be in times like this, and I can only offer you my prayers. You and your husband and sweet daughter Shayla will find a way to make it through this in time. My thoughts are with you. I hope you made it to your high school reunion dinner. Surrounding yourself with friends is always nice. Have fun bike riding!

 
At 21/8/08 1:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a beautiful blog and my heart goes out to you. I lost my sister to Hodgkins Disease 13 years ago. She was only 15 years old. Your daughter reminds me of my sister.

Danielle

 

Post a Comment

<< Home