Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

"My SHEro" Written & Read by Cousin Shelby



"My SHEro" was written by Shelby, when she was 11 years old. She read it in church in September at Christi's funeral.

My SHEro can't be under too much pressure
Or play with her sister very long
But she'll be a ball of energy
And be tons of fun.

She's young
And starting to grow her hair back
And has beautiful blue eyes
She is like anybody else.

We love to put on shows
and do a million goofy things
We'll go on all the fun rides
Ignoring what people think.

She has taught me to be strong
No matter what the conditions are
She helped me to learn there is always
something, and it is always good.

My one definition of a hero
is someone strong
They don't have to be strong physically
but strong mentally.

My Cousin, Christi Thomas


Shelby's gifted teacher read the poem to Gil & Tina at the parent-teacher conference and that was the first they knew about it. The teacher told us that Shelby wrote this about someone very special that she looks up to in our family. I'm certain no one knew at that time that it would later be read at Christi's funeral service.

Taken at CHOP, while Christi was receiving at blood transfusion and the cousins were happily playing to pass the many hours.

"Flashes of Hope" - thanks for the great photos, treasured memories!


Shelby and Christi were 21 months apart in age and shared many of the same qualities. Both being identified and receiving special services for their giftedness and both girls taking an interest in art, music, science - and talking! When the girls would talk on the phone, they'd talk for lengthy periods of time. Christi liked to ask Shelby "quiz book" questions from her many American Girl quiz books she loved to take quizzes in. (Now those treasured books are even more important as Christi wrote the answers to the many questions about herself in those books I've now tucked away.)

Christi looked up to and adored her big cousin Shelby, most likely just as I looked up to an adored my big sister (Shelby's mother - Tina). Anything Shelby said or did was "perfect" and greatly admired by Christi. Even though the girls were nearly identical in size (due to Christi's large-for-her-size frame and Shelby's frame being petite) so I'd always giggle to myself when my sister would give us Shelby's hand-me-downs. They fit Christi right away and sometimes, even though they were actually too small, Christi would put them on and insist that her "Shelby Clothes" were perfect.

My sister says that Shelby has really been missing being able to play with Christi. She says that nobody else has that type of humor when they play and it’s just not the same. I know Christi would say that the feeling was mutual.

I don't think Shelby will ever know how highly Christi regarded her and how Christi perhaps thought Shelby "walked on water". We'll forever be grateful for her friendship, for her willingness to easily accept and love Christi and for always sharing that special little voice and giggle with Christi, making her happy and feel so "normal". Shelby richly blessed all of our lives with her special relationship with our little Angel. Certainly, Shelby must know that Christi is "there" when she needs someone to talk to or to receive some extra help. Christi was that kind of gal!

Shelby helps Christi pass the time while treating in Philadelphia (Spring 2006)
Decorating Easter Eggs! (April 2006)
Loving Life! (Christi's 8th Birthday, May 2005)
With Shelby at COSI (Traci joked to me, "Boy it's hard to get much Christi time when Shelby's around." So if "Harriet" said that - YOU KNOW JUST HOW MUCH Christi loved being with Shelby!)Jan. 2006
September 2004: Cousins - Shelby, Christi & Shayla

A Thanksgiving Chat at Grandma and Grandpa's (Nov. 2005)












THE COUSINS FORMED A BEAUTIFUL BOND OVER THE YEARS:

Kings Island (July 2006, CT - 9 years old)
Singing in Church (Summer 2005, CT - 8 years old)
Christi's First Holy Communion (April 2004, CT - nearly 7 years old)
Universal Studios (Florida) Christi's amazing birthday (Shelby & Christi: May 2003, CT - 6 years old)
Summer 2002: Christi, Shelby & Shayla (CT, 5 years old - shortly before diagnosis)
"The Cousins" Easter 2001: Shelby, Christi, William, Shayla & Ashley (CT, age 4)
Shelby & Christi play beauty shop - giving me a whole new look (2000, CT - age 3 years old)

With Shelby (Summer 1999, CT age two)
Christi's First Birthday (May 1998, CT is one!)
Baby Christi's Baptism (June 1997, CT five weeks old) Note Christi's beautiful gown! It was her GREAT Grandpa Falter's!!! It was nearly 90 years old and stunning.

5 Comments:

At 23/1/07 8:43 AM, Blogger HeatherB said...

What talent Shelby has! I'm sure she is missing her cousin Christi- just like you all are.

May God continue to richly bless sweet Shelby.

Thanks for sharing the awesome pictures of the cousins together.

I love you all!

Praying always,
Heather

 
At 23/1/07 10:17 AM, Blogger nikki the red said...

Thanks to being inspired by Christi, going to my 1st informational meeting tonight for volunteering at Columbus Children's Hospital! Christi's spirit is very much alive & moving me forward!!!!!!

 
At 23/1/07 1:07 PM, Blogger Rebekah said...

Oh Angela ~ My heart is broken for all of you and very much so for Christi's special "friends" ... the love they have for your baby is beyond measurable! Sweet Christi was surely blessed to have them in her life! I continue to follow your journey and I am amazed everyday with the things I learn about your daughter! She is so special! I read this and INSTANTLY thought of Christi ... thank you for sharing her life with us - the photos make me cry every time I look at them!

"What the caterpiller thinks is the end of life . . . the butterfly knows is only the beginning."

Love from my family to yours!

Rebekah Clark
Prior Lake, MN
mommy_jaden@yahoo.com

 
At 23/1/07 11:02 PM, Blogger thonmom06 said...

I've loved the pictures of Shelby and Christi from the time you first posted them shortly after they were taken.

The first picture of the two of them giggling....such childhood innocence! Doing what they should be doing at that age. Such fun and mischief in their eyes! : )

The second picture of Christi and Shelby looking at each other...as if Christi is saying to Shelby that no matter where she goes, she will always be with her....as if they are saying to each other ~ "we'll always be together now matter what, right?"

And the third picture...the ever loving, ever caring, ever protecting cousin and friend....

They are all priceless. No words necessary, really.

All of you, Shelby, Sarah, Theresa, and Kaylyn...thank you for being so very special. Thank you for being such an assurance of our future. When I was young my best friend died too. I am much, much older than you are, so it was a long, long time ago...but you know what? I still chat with her and know that she is there listening. Indeed how lucky Christi was to have you! Know that I continue to pray for each of you.

love, sylvia xoxo

 
At 24/1/07 5:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been following Christi's journey for some time now,and I've been praying for her and your family every single day, but this is the first time that I'm writing. My name's Oliwia and I'm from Poland :) even here, milions kilometers away, your
Little Angel touches hearts and souls, I told all my friends and family about Christy, I've been reading and translating them everything since they don't know English. I just wanted to let you know that we're thinking of you here in Poland, praying and sending lots of LOVE!!!

“When angels visit us, we do not hear the rustle of wings, nor feel the feathery touch of the breast of a dove; but we know their presence by the love they create in our hearts.”

 

Post a Comment

<< Home