Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

"A Million Candles" Read by Sarah

I'll never know how those four beautiful young ladies had the courage to go up and read their poems into the microphone at the end of Christi's funeral mass. They were amazing and brought a lovely, fitting tribute to Christi. I know by now they have gone on with their lives- growing and flourishing and I'm happy for them. Losing one of your best friends would have to be crushing. I really miss being with Christi's friends and their mothers. We were all blessed to have loved and to have been loved by Christi's many great friends!

Christi created a silly wig at Sarah's tenth birthday party (May 2006)
Staying overnight at Sarah's (Aug. 2006)
Kindred Spirits!Chatty Cathy's Unite! These sweet girls had special "Chatty Cathy" necklaces engraved at Jeffrey's and brought Christi's to the funeral home where Shayne placed it around Christi's neck. Christi treasured their special friendship.


Read by Sarah, Christi's friend and a fellow "Chatty Cathy" Club Member: (Sarah then had this poem framed and matted and it's hanging on our wall.)

Sarah said: "This poem was written by someone who also wrote silly and funny children’s poems – and Christi liked that kind of thing."

“A Million Candles”
By Jack Prelutsky


A million candles fill the night,
They glister in the dark.
And though by day they hid their glow,
Now each displays its spark.

Amidst them all here is one light
That has s special shine,
And that’s the one whose name I know…
I think that it knows mine.


Christi & Sarah were like two peas in a pod! They had so many common characteristics - and the unique "ability" to spend hours on the phone talking and giggling together! Sarah's parents are both teachers so I was always comfortable talking with them. We'll always be filled with gratitude and we will never forget Sarah's kindness of calling out to Philadelphia and talking with Christi for lengthy periods when she was in the hospital. Christi loved it! I would sometimes step out to "give them their privacy" yet I was so charmed and amused I'd sometimes listen in too!

As Christi was preparing for what turned out to be her final trip to Philly she asked me if I packed her teddy bear. I had forgotten so she ran up to her bedroom for the final time and grabbed this special bear she made at Sarah's birthday party. I took this final picture of her in our kitchen and then for the last time in our home, she hugged and kissed me and walked out the door and got into the van. This was the bear which was tucked in her arms, she died with and I later gave to Sarah. Sarah's mom informed us that Sarah is glad to have the bear back, since she has it's twin (smile) and we're glad Christi had such a very special friend while here on earth.

Roughly Thirty Minutes Until Death. This is the last photo ever taken of a breathing Christi Thomas - September 19, 2006 approximately 8:20 AM This photo of Shayne gently touching Christi's arm reminds me......I believe we were "touched by an Angel"

5 Comments:

At 17/1/07 10:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How wonderful that Christi had such a wonderful friend in Sarah. I can only imagine how heartbreaking it must have been for Sarah when she learned that Christi was no longer here on earth. I'm glad that she has Christi's special bear.

 
At 17/1/07 1:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! Are you trying to make me cry??? =) I'm only givng you a hard time.

Chrisi is a beautiful girl and I love the many many pictures you took of her. You have those to always look upon and to remember her by.

Much love from our family to yours!
The Ugarte Family (Michelle, David, Isabella and little David)

 
At 17/1/07 3:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although I read your blog often, I have never written before. I had to respond to your comments about Christi's friends. My best friend died of Cystic Fibrosis when I was in the 6th grade. Her mother gave me a stuffed cat that I had given her when she was in the hospital. I still have that cat. My daughter plays with it now and a tell her about my friend. I have NEVER forgotten her. Christi will live on in the hearts and minds of those girls.

 
At 18/1/07 9:54 AM, Blogger Brigid and Celie said...

There has never been a more beautiful angel, on earth or in heaven. With Love, Hope and tears,

XOXOXO
Brigid and Celie

 
At 18/1/07 7:04 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Touched by an angel no doubt of that in my mind! I certaintly was graced by your Christi in immmeasurable ways.

Sarah is a doll!! What a cutie pie! You can tell she and Christi were great pals. I shall continue to include Christi's friends in my prayers. May God bless these precious children!

With all my love, continued prayers and admiration for you and your family!

I love you!!
Heather

 

Post a Comment

<< Home