Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Jan. 9, 2006 (Bonus Day!)


OLDIE BUT GOODIE:

One of my favorite photos! This is when Christi "fixed" Shayla, our little chatterbox, (by putting a bandaid over Shayla's mouth). I was in the kitchen when they came out to show me and Christi proudly declared, "I fixed her!" I nearly fell over laughing, and could only get out, "Wait! I need to take a picture!" (Summer 2001: CT 4, Shayla 2) Surprisingly, Shayla loved the attention she received from her big sissy, Christi!

I've been getting much better about not calling Shayla "Christi". I often mixed up their names and still a few weeks after Christi died, I was accidently calling Shayla by her sister's name. I still struggle with "Sissy" which was a name I called both of the girls. Now sometimes "Sissy" slips out and that's a really odd name for a sister without a sister here on earth! Crazy!

Christi joking around while waiting for the CHOP employee's shuttle to take us to CHOP early on Jan. 9th - the day she was to begin the antibody trial. I had the shuttle time wrong and we waited on that inner city street corner for a very long time. I was nervous, but she never knew that and she just kept making jokes about where the shuttle bus may have gone instead of coming to get us! She was always such a great sport! Although I know it started much earlier, I consider this to be the beginning of her downward spiral with her failing health.

This was when someone accidently put the vials in the fridge instead of the freezer and more medicine had to be overnighted from another state. Dr. Maris was very upset, but so professional. Christi received a six hour "pass" and I treasured that entire day. It was like receiving a bonus day of life. I remember walking hand-in-hand with her that warm January day, feeding the birds, getting ice cream and taking in the Narnia movie, and visiting the used bookstore - all the while knowing that the trial she would start the next day could kill her and it was perhaps my very last day left with her. I know someone at CHOP was reprimanded for their mistake; however, they'll never know how very grateful I am for that extra day I got with my sweet Christi. What I wouldn't do to be able to relive that one blessed day with CT again.

The last day I ever braided Christi's hair, Jan. 9, 2006. I knew she was going to have to be in that hospital bed for about a week and with her hair, which tangled so easily, we decided that braiding it would be the best thing. Little did I know she'd progress right through the antibodies and would be bald by the end of the month due to the intense chemo. I'll never forget her being in such horrible pain, learning she'd have to have more intense chemo and saying to me, "I'm just so sad". I've been haunted by that February day so much in recent weeks. It was one of the few times I ever saw her really, really sad.

Things are really coming together with the Christi Thomas Memorial Fund. I'll soon be sharing the news! Thanks for checking in!

Unlike Christi who really wanted to sell Girl Scout cookies, but who was too timid to call or go ask anyone unless they asked her first, Shayla has been into selling the cookies for her Brownie troop. She’s quite a little salesman and has sold nearly 55 boxes!!

Tonight was Shayla’s first time since before Christi was diagnosed to return to swim lessons.

After school today I went for my first session of traction. I was pleasantly surprised that it did not hurt at all and they treated me so well. The gentleman who worked with me also worked with Christi's foot when she had her little ballerina problem back in 2004. When he told me he's been keeping up and that he has Christi's picture hanging up, I was very touched. (Thanks, Terry!)

If anyone has any poem or quote ideas for Christi’s cemetery plaque or whatever it is called to mark her grave, we’d love to hear them. It’s a metal plate, no stone but we will be able to have her picture and a few other (brief) items put on it as well. I want it to really be special and to symbolize her life, yet I do not know what should be on it. I am thinking perhaps a picture of her in a ballerina outfit and maybe a drawing of a butterfly, perhaps the one that was included in her funeral booklets.

I’ll include that link soon as well as the poems read by her friends at the funeral at a later time. I will also write about a few "funeral funnies" and I also hope to write some of her entries I've come across in her diary. I'm so grateful God blessed her with incredible talents at such young ages. Otherwise, she wouldn't have been able to write and to share with me like she did. Thank you, dear Lord!

14 Comments:

At 9/1/07 11:31 PM, Blogger tulip said...

Every time I think about Christi's spirit and her fight, I think about a picture you showed of her last year on January 24, 2006. She's in one of her dance classes (third pic down on the blog) with her head and arms thrown back with such spirit and joy. Compared to the other dancers who just seem to be going through the motions, Christi seems to be giving it all she's got and asking for more! There is pure joy and happiness there. I think this would be a great picture on her plaque that really embodies her character. May we all have such beauty and spirit living the life God has given to us. God Bless!

 
At 9/1/07 11:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I love that picture of Christi & Shayla! Too funny!

I don't think I ever remember seeing Christi with braids. She looks so cute with them in that picture.

I can't wait to hear about your ideas for the memorial fund. And I'm trying to ponder up some quotes/poems...

Love you!
Jennifer

 
At 10/1/07 3:52 AM, Blogger Frapper said...

That picture is just priceless with poor Shayla wearing a bandaid across her little mouth! Christi in her ballerina dress would be so fitting for her memory plaque; she loved her dance classes so much. Your family remains in my thoughts and prayers.

 
At 10/1/07 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My choice for Christi's plaque

In my own humble opinion, I think you should put a nickname of "Concrete Angel." It's a country song by Martina McBride, about a little girl who has to struggle through life, but stands hard as a stone till the very end. It makes me think of Christi every time I hear it. :o)

<3 Winter Patterson, AZ

 
At 10/1/07 9:11 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

That is hilarious about Christi putting the band aid on Shayla's mouth. The pic is too funny and cute!

I have no suggestions for the cemetary plaque. I hope you are able to get some good input.

I cannot wait to read what Christi wrote in her diary. I bet it's awesome!

Much love to you, Thomas Team!

Kate xxx

 
At 10/1/07 9:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Thomas Team~
I see that you are looking for a poem or quote for Christi's grave marker. Here is a suggestion.....

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

I came across this on one of the caringbridge sites a while back and it has stuck with me. I think it's a great quote we should all live by.

 
At 10/1/07 10:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suggestion for Christi's plate:
KJV Philipians 1:3 "I thank my God upon every rememberance of you"

 
At 10/1/07 1:27 PM, Blogger Lizz Kortz said...

Hi there! I hope the three of you are well and happy. I was telling a friend of mine today all about Christi. I know I didn't do her justice but I tried my best to describe how amazing she was! I'm sure my friend got the picture!

I just LOVE the Baby Christi Angel picture! That would be a great one for the headstone.

Christi was such beautiful baby/girl/person! I think about her all the time! I sure do wish i could have known her personally!

Love Always,
Lizz Kortz

 
At 10/1/07 4:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

your life will be judged
not by its length
but by your strength

 
At 10/1/07 5:03 PM, Blogger Kim said...

You are truly a special family! How many people in this world are given bonus days and don't even realize ot or appreciate it!

Shayla - good luck on your cookie sales!

 
At 10/1/07 8:37 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

What gorgeous pictures as always. Thanks for sharing. I remember your post from last year so well and how thankful you were then for your bonus day with Christi. You appreciated each one with her so much, no daughter could wish for a better Mommy.

I love the picture of the little saleswoman Shayla as well! Glad to hear that your traction session wasn't painful.

With all my love and prayers for always,
Heather

 
At 11/1/07 3:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think 'Sissy' is lovely, really lovely - it signifies a special relationship between two girls who will always be sisters whether in this life or the next. No one can take that bond away and the name Sissy just acknowledges that Shayla was, is and always will be one of the Thomas sisters. Christie is alive in heaven and alive in your hearts and prayers. Love and prayers to you all.

 
At 11/1/07 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can shed tears that she is gone,
or you can smile because she has lived.
You can close your eyes and pray that she’ll come back,
or you can open you eyes and see all she has left.
Your heart can be empty because you can’t see her,
or you can be full of the love you shared.

You can turn your back on tomorrow and live yesterday,
or you can be happy for tomorrow because of yesterday.
You can remember her and only that she’s gone,
or you can cherish her memory and let it live on.

Everytime I hear that poem, i think of Miss Christi.

 
At 12/1/07 4:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God saw you was getting tired christy, and a cure was not meant to be,so he took your small, precious hand,and whispered come with me.A golden heart stopped beating, hard working hands and heart at rest, god broke our hearts to prove us wrong. He only takes the best!!
R.I.P Christy..
(you achieved so much in your 9 years, that people will never acheieve in a lifetime)
xx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home