Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Update

Well, there you have it! Looks like we turned our Texas A & M friends into Buckeye fans! (hee hee) Vickie said she wasn't certain what kind of hand sign she should use in this picture (I don't think I want to know, smile). Regardless, aren't they cute?! Best wishes and much love to our fellow neuroblastoma friends! May precious Erin live a very long life!


Christi & Penelope treating together at CHOP (May 2006) Shayne received a text from Penelope's amazing dad yesterday morning letting him know that there was an article about his desperate struggles to get more treatment for Penelope in the Wall Street Journal. Thanks to an "angel on earth" alerting me I ran and bought a copy of the newspaper. It turns my stomach knowing how hard parents are advocating for their children and knowing things are just not moving fast enough. Time is working against these children. God bless the Londons!

Thanks to the many who have emailed me about not knowing what to say about my dead daughter. The change in reaction of people from, "My daughter has cancer," where people would inquire to, "My daughter died" receives complete silence and it's just mind-boggling the difference. I'm positive it's because people feel poorly and do not know what to say, but it's such a stark contrast from what I heard for four years that I'm still not used to it. Regardless, I'll always be the mother of two. And it still bothers Shayne and I very, very much that Shayla will be an only child. We were in the midst of our "Should we have three?" discussions when Christi was diagnosed and of course from that point on we knew there was no way we could try to raise THREE children. I know I should feel VERY BLESSED that I am the mother of one healthy child. I know of others who have not been able to have any. We are blessed!
In other matters: Just thirteen tickets remain for Christi's Tea Party to be held on what would have been her tenth birthday. We do believe it will be a lovely event and are so thankful for all who have helped to make it so wonderful! We've yet to announce "the big" project which will utilize the Christi Thomas Memorial Fund monies; however, maybe this will be done at the Tea Party. We'll see.

May 12th is also the scholarship application deadline for the $1,000 college scholarships. We've received applications from students at Fremont St. Joseph's High School and from Dance Unlimited. Strangly enough, there have not been any applications from Christi's school - Seneca East. Perhaps all of those going to college from S.E. already have everything paid for (cough, cough).

5 Comments:

At 2/5/07 1:34 PM, Blogger Olivia said...

I am so glad to hear that almost all of the tickets have been sold for the Tea Party! That is definitely wonderful news!

I am looking forward to news of the scholarship winners and of all additional plans for the Christi Thomas Memorial Fund.

As always, thank you for sharing. It really is a comfort and an inspiration to read your blog.

My thoughts and prayers are with you,
Olivia

 
At 2/5/07 3:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Today is my 11th birthday.
I know May12 will be really hard for you guys because it is Christis first birthday in Heaven just remember that you have 1million people thinking of you.

 
At 3/5/07 2:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I definitely agree with you saying time is working against these children. I just wish the miracle cure would be found sooner rather than later because it's just not fair what all of the cancer families have to go through. Christi and Penelope look adorable together! May 12th will be an amazing celebration of Christi's 10th birtday and another great way to keep her legacy alive but I bet it'll be one of the toughest days yet. I hope Christi surrounds you in many ways that will bring you comfort as you'll need it. *Stay Strong*

 
At 3/5/07 7:55 AM, Blogger Aimee Jackson said...

I don't know what to say either! I don't think there is really anything anyone can say. I guess "I'm sorry", though I do get tired of hearing it. Mostly people just hug me a lot. I guess that is OK. There aren't any words that can make it better. "That sucks" pretty much sums it up.

I love your stories about how Christi is still touching your life. I have no doubt it was not just a blind coincidence that those people just sat next to you on the plane. I have come across some similar incidents that have no other logical explanation then that Kendall, is trying to let me know he is OK. These things bring me what little bit of peace I have.

I have also thought of another child, just because I can't stand the thought of Zachary being an only one. For now, we are putting such thoughts on the back burner. I don't trust myself to make rational decisions right now.

 
At 4/5/07 12:29 PM, Blogger Mary said...

While Shayla will have to grow up without a sister to play with, she will never be an only child. She will always have an angel sister watching over her. You and your family remain in my thoughts and prayers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home