Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Saturday, June 16, 2007

Another Ritzy Week



Having Shelby spend the week with us was absolutely delightful! What continues to sadden me the most is coming home and Shayla not having her sister to run off and play. Last summer, Christi was feeling so well, they spent many hours each day off playing together while I studied at the kitchen table. This week, it was like a repeat of last summer. The girls came home from Ritz theatre camp and took off playing together while I studied in the kitchen. I just kept shaking my head and thinking about how "comfortable" it was having two kids off playing together. Then I had to remind myself that it was cousin Shelby playing with Shayla, not Christi. Nevertheless, Shayla had a glorious time - not just at camp, but also having Shelby with us all week! Thank you, Shelby!

Holding Buttercup at the vet's.
Shelby received her first horseback riding lesson (and loved it)!
I tried to squeeze in something "fun" for the girls every day!

I'm not certain it was easy for her, but she wanted to stay by herself in Christi's bedroom, so she did. Shelby and Christi were incredibly close. All week I found it odd to have someone in Christi's room - a room I typically try to avoid, telling myself she's really in there talking on the phone, reading or drawing. One morning I walked by and noticed Shelby just staring and looking at Christi's things displayed on her dresser. I walked in and gave her a hug. Later I asked her if it was hard staying in Christi's room because she could stay with Shayla or stay in my room or in the living room - whatever she wanted. She told me she just trys not to think about Christi being dead because that's so sad but she likes staying in Christi's room and she knows that Christi would want her to have fun in her room like they always did.

This reminds me of a picture I just "saved" from my cell phone, taken nearly one year ago.
Shayla & Christi, June 2006

Our little squeaker (Shayla - a mouse)
Shelby, a begger

9 Comments:

At 16/6/07 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

After reading your blog today I took a 'visit' to the past. June 2006 and spent a little time to see all the pictures. I remember that time. I remember when you first posted about it. I remember all the pictures... It seems sometimes like it was yesterday and yet it is hard to understand that it was a year ago. I know the last weeks have been hard, but I am glad Shayla had some great time with Shelby. Angela, I have been reading for so long since January 06, but I will never forget you sweet girl.
Thank you for stil writing about the Thomas Team.

Trine

 
At 16/6/07 8:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

shayla looks so much like christi in that first picture! i almost did a double take

 
At 16/6/07 11:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shayla and Shelby seem to have had a great week together! I'm glad that Shayla had a playmate for a whole week to enjoy. It's a bit hard looking at pictures of Shelby and not seeing Christi next to her because of how often they were together. Shelby is so brave to have slept in Christi's room by herself but I'm sure it brought her a sense of comfort being surrounded by Christi's things. Those are such sweet pictures. Buttercup looks adorable in the picture with Shelby! Stay Strong!

 
At 17/6/07 4:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an amazing video. A perfect tribute to an amazing young lady and her very special family. I'm glad Shayla & Shelby had fun this week - as Shelby said just as Christi would want them too. Well done for being so strong Angela!

It's hard to put what I want to say into words so I won't even try to right now but I will send my understanding, love, prayers and very best wishes to you all as usual.

I hope it brings you some comfort to know that your little girl is still very, very much a part of your lives as she is to her (and your!) network of friends all over the world - even those like me who never got the chance to meet the inspirational Miss Christi in person.

Much love & an extra special best wish to Shayne on Father's Day.

With love,

Nicky (England).

 
At 17/6/07 11:14 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Dear Angela and the wonderful Thomas Team,
My heart aches for you. I've always said that my sadness at Christi's passing can't begin to touch what you must feel - and your words and images express the depth of sadness and longing so clearly.

I wish there was something I could do that could ease your pain. I wish. I wish I could bring Christi back - she certainly would have continued to bring her magic to the world and make it a better place which makes it so much harder to understand why she had to die.

I guess I'm just trying to say I'm sorry. I am so sorry for your sadness and for the indescribable loss of Christi. She continues to touch my heart and live in my thoughts.

Please give Shayla a hug for me and know that you are all very much in my prayers.

With love,
Eliza

 
At 17/6/07 1:55 PM, Blogger Aimee Jackson said...

Just wanted to let Shayne know I was thinking of him this Father's Day. Love and prayers.

 
At 17/6/07 4:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angela, I've been following and commenting on your blog for a few months now - but I have just found out that my closest friend from university has been diagnosed with cancer - reading all about how you and your family has coped with this for Christi has made me feel that I can be stronger for her.

Thank you.

 
At 17/6/07 10:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet Christi was looking over Shelby and Shayla this week.

 
At 19/6/07 7:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

im so glad Shayla was able to have fun at her camp.. those costumes are soo adorable.. Shelby looks exactly like you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home