Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Back to School Shopping

August 2000: Christi & Shayla's first (and only) sack race. Christi 3, (far left), Shayla 1.5 (far right).

Christi always enjoyed getting a few new things for school, especially school supplies. Thankfully, with garage sales and hand-me-downs, clothes were never a problem. I do remember buying two new outfits for her to launch her school career and then since she was diagnosed just ten days after starting school and she wore them to her hospital appointments instead. It made me so sad remembering how I bought them with joy thinking anxious she was to start school.

Because Christi was just starting to get to the age where she cared about clothes, last summer was particularly fun in terms of shopping. Now, I'm seeing sale ads and becoming so sad that I cannot take her; therefore, yesterday I sent off two $100 checks to a couple of her classmates who were always very sweet to her and who I think will benefit from the extra money. Inside each card, I wrote a note:

"Christi & I always enjoyed school shopping together. Since I can't take her this year, I hope you'll use this money and have a fun day shopping with your daughter. It'll make us happy! Thank you! Love, Angela & Shayne"

When I approached Shayne with the idea last week, he said, "Why don't you call the parents and see if you can take the girls shopping. You loved taking Christi last year." (Long pause) "Oh, I guess doing this is hard enough, taking them would probably be impossible, wouldn't it?"

Before we went to church, I made biscuits this morning from a mix we purchased in the Amish Country this week, I just had to share this picture. (It's probably hard to believe I still have so many pictures I've never shared of Christi, but the "Kodak Mom" does!)

It's hard to believe it was 11 years ago today when I received that dreaded phone call from my mom telling me dad had a heart attack. Shayne and I quickly threw a few things into a suitcase and took off for the 8 hour drive up to Silver Lake Michigan where I assumed I'd sit with him in a hospital room for a few days and slowly nurse him back to good health. Unfortunately, we weren't so lucky. I never got to talk with him in person again. Rest in peace, sweet daddy! I love and miss you!

NEE NEE NEWS: Grandma is doing well and I'll take her back to Toledo for her second surgery soon. Yesterday, Shayla "babysat" grandma for a change while Shayne and I drove to her home to get a few things she needed. (And of course she insisted we take her little car out for a drive, so we did!) We've bought a toilet set and also installed a handicapped railing to our bathroom to make things easier for her to get around here. (Her wheelchair doesn't fit in our little bathroom.)

She must know how loved she is because even though it's killing us, we've been letting her smoke in our home. (I know my friends are gagging and think I've lost my mind, because I can smell and complain at the first whiff of smoke, but.....it's like the only thing that makes her happy.) To go even a step more I bought my first pack of cigarettes Friday night. As I approached the cashier, who knew Joan was hurt, I said, "I've lost my mind. We're gagging but we're letting her smoke in our home. I'm almost 40 and buying my first pack of cigarettes because I feel so bad for her.....Oh, what the heck, make it two!")

Thankfully, she remains in good spirits despite the pain. (I can even sing, "The Old Gray Mare Just Ain't What She Used to Be" and she just laughs!) Shayne continues to do twice daily dressing changes on her open wounds and he gives her the required shots. As we finally had a chance to talk while we drove yesterday he joked, "Well, I had a break from the medical scene long enough. I was getting bored and needed something to do before you had me start some home improvement projects or something."

6 Comments:

At 29/7/07 12:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say God Bless you all..You all are just amazing

 
At 29/7/07 12:15 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Oh my goodness you are beyond kind and beyond generous. I'm sure Christi's school friends will be most thankful for some extra shopping money. No wonder Shayla is so kind and compassionate you've raised her so well.

I'm glad Nee Nee is doing okay in your home. She continues to be in my prayers.

With Love and prayers for always,
Heather

 
At 29/7/07 4:37 PM, Blogger Nikking said...

That is extremely sweet that you sent checks out to Christi's friends. Imagine the smiles you put on those little girls' faces! And, I am sure they will think of Christi as they are picking out new school outfits....

You and your entire family amaze me with the strength you have!

 
At 29/7/07 6:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christi and your family are still in my thoughts and prayers every day. Your journal, honesty, and journey continue to fill me with a determination to live life to the fullest (knowing the full meaning of the phrase, seeing your two amazing girls set the standard so high).

Joyce

 
At 29/7/07 9:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thomas family,
You never cease to amaze me with your kindness and love. What a sweet gesture to give money to two of Christi's friends for school clothes. My heart breaks for you but somehow I feel you are getting stronger each day. Thrilled that you people are able to do all the traveling you have done. You know how to enjoy life. What a beauty Shayla is becoming. Enjoy the remainder of the time before school begins and continue to know that we are praying for you. May God bless you and strengthen you. Nancy

 
At 30/7/07 8:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that you still have pictures you haven't shared. It's great being able to see new "old" pictures of your beautiful Christi!

What a sweet gesture for you to do for Christi's friends. I know they'll both have Christi in mind as they pick out new clothes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home