Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Sunday, July 08, 2007

Where in the World is Shayla?

Shayla enjoyed being at "the shore" in New Jersey with her sweet Philly friends.







New Jersey, Pennsylvania and New York (Plus a few minutes in Delaware when we missed our exit back to Philadelphia after our quick run up to NYC).Photos from Thursday's entry: "down the shore" (Wildwood, NJ), eating a Philly cheese steak and Philly pretzel in University City (PA) and watching the carriages go by in NYC's Central Park (NY).

Some very sweet bloggers are also excellent guessers!! Thank you so much for blogging back and emailing your responses. Shayla was squealing with delight and giving comments, "Wow! They're really close." "Oklahoma? No way! They're just joking!" reviewing each of the sweet responses, thank you! And today Shayla received a little taste of her own medicine; it had us both laughing! A a sweet little blogger (Christi's age) emailed a picture for Shayla to guess where she was last week (South Beach, Miami) too fun! Thank you so much for all of your kindness and interaction!!

We flew to Philadelphia where I had a teachers' meeting. Shayla and I had planned for months to make the trip alone and we also planned to meet up with some of our sweet Philly friends. Little did we realize we'd also have the opportunity to establish an on-going "Christi Thomas" program, but that opportunity came up at the last minute so I booked Shayne a flight and we all went. (More about all of that "Christi stuff", including our visit with Dr. Maris at CHOP, later. It was brutal, emotionally.)

Once we landed in Philly (without Christi), I wiped the tears away and Shayne called sweet "Angel" Penelope's dad to see if we could drive up to NYC to give him a sympathy hug in person - since we were just two hours away - so we spent a few hours in Central Park with our sweet friend. (Penelope's 5th birthday should have been this weekend. He called Shayne on his way to and from the cemetery. I wish we could have gone with him. When we were in NYC, it was the very first time I'd ever seen Penelope's dad without Penelope by his side, heartbreaking.)

When my meetings in Philly started, Shayne went with our dear friends to New Jersey where they enjoyed being together at the shore (that means "beach" to our Ohio friends). It was an incredibly emotional trip, especially staying at the same hotel (and same floor!) where I stayed with Christi before, and meeting up with some of the sweetest volunteers and Angels on earth while I was in the city, but I'm so appreciative that I was able to go and also that Shayne was able to join us. Christi led us to many incredible people throughout her journey and I hope our friendships, like our love for Christi, will continue forever. Thank you, Philly friends - until we meet again!! (Most likely when Shayne competes in a race there next June.)

14 Comments:

At 9/7/07 6:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I take it my guess of Okalahoma was like way off (smile) sorry Shayla.it looks like oklahoma in the pics.Anyways I hope you had fun I bet the sweet angelsPenelope and Christi are playing together in Heaven.
your good friend,
Brooke

 
At 9/7/07 7:05 PM, Blogger Olivia said...

I can't imagine how difficult it must have been for you to be in Philly without Christi by your side. I have no doubt that she was with you through every step of your journey there. And I can't wait to hear of the "Christi" projects-- no doubt amazing, as they all always are.

You are in my thoughts and prayers, as always.

Much love,

Olivia

 
At 9/7/07 7:11 PM, Blogger Olivia said...

PS- Every time I pass the Balto statue in Central Park, I "see" Christi there sitting on top and smiling. She's everywhere, a constant reminder of living busy and laughing often.

 
At 9/7/07 7:57 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Okay Shayla so I got two out of three guess right. I had such a fun time playing your guessing games- both times. It sure looks like you were having such fun.

Angela- Oh how my heart breaks for you and Shayne and sweet Penelope's Father too, how horrible to visit your child's grave on their birthday. UGH this evil disease is cruel and unfair.

May God richly bless you and Shayne for what you are doing in Christi's memory and honor- I continue to be humbled and amazed by the two of you.

With tons of love and all my prayers,
Heather

 
At 9/7/07 8:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wahoo! I was correct with my guesses of NY, PA, and NJ- go me! Shayla this game is entirely too much fun for me!!! I think this one was easy for me only because I was in each state this weekend as well. Home in New York, Just driving through NJ, and PA to visit my lake house. I hope your enjoying summer time- it sure looks like it!! When do you go back to school? I just started teaching summer school last week and it ends on 8/10, then we start back in September. Can't wait to see how many more adventures you get to go on!!!

Love,
Erin

 
At 9/7/07 8:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow -There are some good guessers...I got all four because - yes, people do go to NJ on purpose - my parents lived in NJ and we often went to Philly and NYC while visiting. Our place on the shore was at Seaside Heights - and Delaware is an easy place to land if you make a wrong turn.

What is your next guessing game going to be, Shayla?

 
At 9/7/07 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please pray for Paul Saxon and his family (saxonreport.blogspot.com). It was through his blog that I found yours.

 
At 9/7/07 8:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahhh!! i was thinking delaware!! i hope you guys had fun!!

 
At 10/7/07 7:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I didn't get in on the latest guessing game! You all have been able to get around a lot this summer- how fun! :)

Michelle Stokes

 
At 10/7/07 11:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ps. you should post more entries of shayla's journal.. they're really interesting to read!
xoxo :)

 
At 10/7/07 6:03 PM, Blogger Laura said...

I've been on vacation for a bit and just logged on to see you guys have been EVERYWHERE! What wonderful pictures and stories. I wanted to tell Shayla that she needs to look at her Alaska map and find my old home. I grew up in a little fishing village called Petersburg. It is located between Juneau and Ketchikan. It is wonderful to read all your stories about Alaska. I love Pennsylvania, but it is nothing like living on the water. So glad you enjoyed the state I called home for many years!

 
At 10/7/07 10:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see that you've been keeping busy. I know this summer must be so tough on you all but I love seeing Shayla looking so happy and enjoying her time with family and friends.

I'm very interested to hear about everything Christi and your visit with Dr Maris. I've heard about the promising treatment of making the 3f8 humanized, I really hope that it happens sooner rather than later. These kids don't have time on their side. Christi, help get things working up there! Stay Strong!

 
At 10/7/07 11:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey guys!

My name is Taryn, I'm 15 and I have been reading this blog for the past year or so. First of all, I think you guys rock for being able to pick up your lives and continue on even though I know how difficult it must be. I know that Christi will always be an insparation to me personally and as I'm sure you know, many many other. She will not be forgotten!

Second of all I did my own "Where's Taryn" thing for Shayla. Guess where I'm from?

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v254/ClayandJohn/?action=view¤t=lege008.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v254/ClayandJohn/?action=view¤t=lege001.jpg
Just copy and paste those urls into a new window and you can see some pictures that I took :)

My email address is tarynissorick@hotmail.com, try to guess!

 
At 11/7/07 9:23 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

I am so jealous! A cruise through Alaska as been my dream Vac for many years…. The pictures are so very beautiful and exactly how I imagined it would look. Shalya is a very lucky little girl to have such wonderful parents and you are both so lucky to have such a wonderful little girl……..

Always and forever missing Christi!!

Love Lisa (www.edenadams.com)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home